CUT BACK OR THIEFT AT NURSING HOME

gitrib

When my wife went in the nursing home several years ago she was provided a regular Hair Do when I entered as a resident to be with her seven month ago I received a no charge hair cut.
A littl dolly in Black body tights came to me and said
"You need a haircut"
"We are charging $8.00."
"I do not have any money".
"Don't you have some on deposit in the office?"
"No my Son is in charge".
Son arrived to take me to ER for tests.
Her she came.
"Your dad needs a hair cut"
So son agreed that when I came back i would get s Hair cut. He stopped at the ATM and sprung ten bucks. Oh Boy I will have two buck left over. for a Cola tomorrow. Son gave me the ten spot and here she came. I could not get the idea at all of some pretty young thing dressed in body tights hustling hair cuts in a nursing home. I handed her he ten spot as I rolled into the barber room and she placed it in her purse. I thought WHAT ABOUT MY TWO BUCK SODA MONEY. Hair cut over she opened the door so i could drive my Jazzy out. While she stood there I could see a sign posted. MENS HAIRCUTS $8'00. BEING THE BASHFUL TYPE "HEY WHERE IS MY TWO BUCKS". 'OH I'M SORRY" AS SHE WENT AND GOT HER PURSE. Is this part of the new Medi Care program? My Jazzy gets me around pretty fast so off to the head office.She is not here any more. gitrib

$8 is a bargain haircut. Be glad you got it for that. I've never paid less than $15 and usually 25 and up. And it's common courtesy to tip the barber 10 to 20 percent.
I'd think that in your senior years you would want to be passing on some of your inheritance to a hot dolly in black tights. Needless to say she won't be sneaking into your room for a bigger payday.

I do not understand tipping. The employer has an oblightion to pay the help. Maybe grocery stors of gas station should tip me as a coustmer!!!

(quoted from post at 09:04:48 04/01/12) $8 is a bargain haircut. Be glad you got it for that. I've never paid less than $15 and usually 25 and up. And it's common courtesy to tip the barber 10 to 20 percent.
I'd think that in your senior years you would want to be passing on some of your inheritance to a hot dolly in black tights. Needless to say she won't be sneaking into your room for a bigger payday.

kinda think you meant that as a joke, but le's say you were serious....

Do you tip cashiers at walmart or the gasstation etc??? They make minimum wage (??). Barber can nock out 2-4 haircuts in an hour. At 8 bucks that's 16-32 bucks an hour. If he/she only does 1, it still is more than minimum wage...
This kid didn't have any overhead and evidently was doing it under the table anyway (no reciept)....
Just a thought.......

And those black body tights didn't even throw you off! Are you getting old or something? Ha

Good for you for talking to the office and getting it dealt with. I cut my own hair now, the only hard part is the back. I hold a mirror in one hand and stand by a wall mirror and hold the buzzer in my other hand.
Zach

Me either. My brother has been a barber all his natural adult life. If he wants more for a haircut,he can raise his prices.

Had a friend near Salida co ran a small resturant gas and small store. He admited to making very good money and paid family for watteriss work. He personally told me he and his wife ( she is kind of woman who can tell you to go to he## and make you kinda want to go) and daughters would laugh at the fantistic tips the females would get. said he also felt was owners job to pay the help.

I've never been to a barber who had an "employer"- they always work for themselves.

And as far as tipping the waitress in restaurants, most tell me that if the restaurant charged enough for the food to give the waitresses a living wage, they would go out of business. Tipping started out as an "off the books" way to sell food at a low enough price to attract customers, but the more affluent ones would tip, giving the waitress a larger income, tax free. Much of that is gone now, as tips must be reported, and employer is on the hook if they're not. But the practice is so ingrained now, that it lives on.

I am cheap as he!! when it comes to tippimg. Daughter lives in big city,says that 15% of bill for tips,that where they make there money to live on., I say ,they need to get a diferent job then as they cannt live on my tipping. When it is added on the bill I walk out.

What all do you have done to your hair?????? Here I pay the local barber 9 bucks for a sissor and razor cut, if I want good smelling hair gel, I get it for no charge.
Ralph in southwestern Oklahoma.

(quoted from post at 09:14:55 04/01/12) I do not understand tipping. The employer has an oblightion to pay the help. Maybe grocery stors of gas station should tip me as a coustmer!!!

I don't tip either,when they ask for it i say..how about giving me 10% off for giving you the business.

My daughter is waitress,makes $8 bucks an hour,she says if it wasn't for tip she did starve to death.
She averages $100-150 tip a day.

yes and she ha a captive customer base Sity four and for women the price is $35 no doubt twice a month. When I was little my father had a dairy So it was milk for Haircut. That would have been in the 30s. gitrib

Dead serious I tip anytime I get service that exceeds the norm. Tipped the shop foreman at IH $20 the other day for quick, correct AC service on my tractor.
Tipped the gals from Verizon who conducted the Iphone class $40.
Tipped the Wireless Server guys who did an upgrade to my antennae and wireless router 30 for being here on time. doing the job perfectly, and Not taking breaks or using my bathroom.
Tipped the dental assistant who cleaned my teeth for doing the best job with least discomfort in 20 years a little sawbuck. It's fun to see their eyes light up and it's all coming out of my kids paycheck.
Gitrib needs to apologize to that girl, or send her plane ticket to SD.

She was just plain STEALING the $2, along with the other $8. Tipping wasn't even a consideration.

She figured that you wouldn't question the charge, either because you were too out of it to understand, or because you watch so much news that you'd just figure it was another way to offset the ever-increasing cost of healthcare.

Your only mistake was not hitting up the front desk about this BEFORE you paid to get your hair cut.

I don't know about such things so I depend on my wife. She told me long ago that you don't tip a shop owner but you tip an employee 10%. There used to be a young waitress at the local lunch place that always kept my change from a ten on a $4.50 tab. After two times I made sure to have ones before going in. I don't begrudge wait staff their tips because of their hourly pay rate, but there is a strong move now to make 20% standard, where 15% used to be for good service.

When my folks were in nursing homes many years ago, I always made sure there was enough money on deposit to take care of their needs.

Medicare didn't pay for certain things like cable tv or having your hair done. If I remember correctly, they paid for only 1 haircut every so many weeks. I had enough money on deposit so my mother could have her hair done or her nails done, etc. whenever she wanted.

That girl you're talking about may have been over zealous in wanting to cut your hair, and she may have thought you were giving her a $2 tip, but I don't think she was trying to scam you. It's commonplace to tip barbers.

You should see and hear the service I get at the local vehicle repair shop and even at the local dump. A carton of smokes or a bottle of rye every now and again goes a long way.
Sending the black leggings wrapped eye candy out the door would reduce the visual appeal of the place.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back