D17 hand clutch

I just adjusted the hand clutch on my D 17 according to the manual, but it still wants to move when I m in neutral and it will not stay engaged on the high side and once while it s still pops out on the lower side is there just too many shims overall in it or do I need more overall in it

This post was edited by Retired dairy on 03/05/2023 at 05:02 pm.

(quoted from post at 17:19:51 03/05/23) I just adjusted the hand clutch on my D 17 according to the manual, but it still wants to move when I m in neutral and it will not stay engaged on the high side and once while it s still pops out on the lower side is there just too many shims overall in it or do I need more overall in it
What AGE/series of D-17 ?? Let's get something straight. You must not have owned this tractor for a long time, because "creeping" when the oil in the torque housing is cold is very NORMAL. The oil is up to operating temps when you can't hold your hand on the housing the clutch is located in, like more than 140 degrees F. To fix jumping out of high side, remove the stop bolt the hand lever hits (located down by the left brake pedal) and then try it. If the bolt is already missing, the internal ramp plate for high side is worn out and requires rebuilding the clutch. Replace both low and high side ramp plates while rebuilding it. On the "shimming" of the clutch, there are LONG shims in the center and SHORT shims on each side. You CANNOT use short shims in the center location !! Also, the total shim stack height of those three locations added up is .205". This must be correct !! To shim properly, you remove short shims as needed and replace the same exact thickness in the center with long shims keeping the total stack height at .205". Lastly, the oil used should be a modern oil like Hy-Tran universal trans/hydraulic oil which is a 10W-30 viscosity. 80/90 weight oil is too thick.

This post was edited by DrAllis on 03/05/2023 at 05:00 pm.

thank you for the reply. I will check the bolt on the right side tomorrow and the age of the tractor is 1960 it is one of the very early ones.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back