D2 Pony Clutch Housing

Anonymous-0

I've got a 1948 D2 and have been working on rebuilding the pony clutch and pinion. I bought a new oring seal 2A-3676 from CAT and thought it looked too thick to squeeze down properly like an oring should. As I was installing the housing there was no way the assembly would push into the flywheel housing and compress the oring by hand, very tight fit. So I started a couple bolts and was slowly trying to pull the housing in and compress the oring. Well, needless to say it got pretty tight and I heard a pop, stopped and it broke one if the ears on the pony clutch housing. Is this supposed to be this tight? I did have lubrication on the oring. Now I need to either fix the housing, which might be very hard since its cast iron or purchase a used housing. How hard will it be to come by one of these? Also, should it be this tight? Is there another oring that is better and not as tight. Just seems like way too much compression to me. Thanks, Nate.

That is the right part number and yes, they are tight, maybe too tight. Did you clean out all the rust and crud from the O-ring groove? General warning is not to pry on the housing ears or press in place using the bolts. Used housings are around just need to locate. For the next one I have had good luck using tire mounting soap as lubricant.

Yes, I cleaned out the groove thoroughly. There was a lot of the old seal stuck in there. I also cleaned around the flywheel housing. When I put the seal on the housing I had doubts it would install easy. Its definitely too big, might be the way it was designed but it shouldnt be that thick of an oring. I was afraid it would cut the seal, but ended up breaking the housing. I'm going to attempt a repair with a 2 part epoxy until i can locate a used housing, but not going to use that seal. Ive found a few cat part numbers that should make good replacements, still seal up, and be much easier to install.

Alright, I found an oring that works much better and has the compression I would expect for this sealing joint. I have no idea how you guys get that 2A-3676 seal to work. It's way too thick. Even with the new seal, which is noticeably thinner in cross section, it took some force to install the housing. New part number is 8H-2046, was a stocked seal at the local cat dealer also. I think it's going to work great, real test will be once I get everything back together and fill it with oil.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back