Didn't want to spend $450+ for a fuel pump

Fred Werring

My shoulder doesn't like manual fuel pumps these days. And I'm only pumping diesel, no gasoline.

Had this pump (they cost about $100 on Amazon)

Did some figuring, came up with this.

Best thing was, didn't have to go to town for anything, had what I needed here at home.

Can't hear the fuel splashing in the tractor tank like I could with the hand pump. Motor's too loud. So may spring for an automatic fuel nozzle...anybody got any experience with those $30 nozzles you see on ebay?

But it did put 30 gallons-ish in my Massey pretty quick.

And still need to mount a weatherproof switch/receptacle on the shop wall. And my tank needs painted.

Longevity? Who knows. We shall see.

Got another tank at the barn. May have to make another one.

mvphoto102221.jpg

mvphoto102222.jpg

mvphoto102223.jpg

mvphoto102224.jpg

mvphoto102225.jpg

mvphoto102226.jpg

VERY nice ''fab''!

As to the auto nozzles, they work just fine 'til the one time they don't.

As long as you don't walk away and leave them unattended they are just fine.

I don't have an auto shutoff nozzle, but I do have a meter with a weather proof switch that I will never use. Would like to se it put to use if you plan to make another one.
cvphoto146953.jpg

cvphoto146954.jpg

I've been shopping for a fuel pump myself and the least expensive 110V one I've been able to find is $349 plus shipping, but you've given me an idea.

A few years back I bought the cheapest fuel transfer pump on Amazon. It's 12V and cost me $39.99. Very similar to your pump here, as in, not designed to be installed on a tank.

That is EXACTLY what I have been wanting to do with my cheap pump, but I could never figure out how to deal with the bung on the tank.

Fred. That is a really nice looking pump and hose attachment you designed. Looks strong. Good welds. Wingnut

I've been thinking of getting one of those electric pumps for quite some time. Every gallon of diesel fuel burned on this farm since the late 1970s I have pumped by hand. Sometimes twice if I pump it into the service tank on the truck to take out to the field at harvest time. On the positive side, its good exercise and I never need to worry about the power being off and not able to get fuel out of the tank.

I know what you are saying. I had one not shut off one time. It makes a big mess real fast. Now I can never trust it. Stan

Ordered 2 off ebay, as I'm going to make another pump and bracket for the tank at the barn.
May have to re-do the nozzle holder, we'll see.

Didn't figure on wandering off while it's fueling, but I know I can be easily distracted.

Good thing is, it seems to pump pretty fast, so maybe won't have time to get distracted.

I'll stay by the pump so I can turn it off quickly if needed.
Nozzle on Ebay

I like the cut to fit job you did on the bucket cover. I have done the same on a couple of them I have made up to
cover electric motors. Good job on the pump. I have to make one up for a 100 gal transfer tank, You've given me a
couple ideas.

Yeah, the big gobs on the side of the bucket are from a hot glue gun.
After I cut the opening I realized it didn't need to be that big.
Didn't want to sacrifice another bucket.
So trimmed a couple inches off the piece I had cut out, glued it back in place.
Will it last? We shall see.

Glad you got a couple ideas off this.
This site has helped me out over the years, I try to contribute when I can.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back