Distributor condenser bad?

I've been spending a lot of time trying to diagnose multiple issues with a 1963 Ford 4000 (gas) tractor that I got recently at an auction. Without going into all the details, I've replaced the points and condenser, adjusted valves, rebuilt the carb, adjusted timing using timing light, and checked the coil by swapping with another running 801 tractor. I finally got it to start tonight and it ran for about 3 minutes before quitting. It ran long enough that I could get a quick look at the timing, which was off but at least I could see numbers on the flywheel. The tractor ran smoothly and did not hesitate when using throttle... which was a first. But now I can't get it started.
Also, I've had to re-gap the points repeatedly as they don't seem to stay where they're set, with the gap tending to widen. Bizarre.

I used a spark plug tester and get a spark, but seems weak. Testing the plug spark directly by grounding on the tractor doesn't produce a strong spark. I noticed that if I run the starter (with key on) with the distributor cap and dust cap off, I can see a pretty distinct spark every time the points gap opens. Also, I noticed that the flash of the spark plug tester is not a single flicker, but multiple continuous flickers as the engine is cranked with the starter, with a bit of a brighter flash which I assume is the actual firing. This happens a lot on plug #1, with varying amounts on the other plugs. I think it was plug #3 that the test produced a relatively clean single flicker without all the background flickering. Even though it's new, could this indicate the condenser is bad?

Thanks!

first thought is... the dist shaft bearing is worn out and the shaft wobbles,,, meaning the gap is continuously changing... or mounting plate is loose and not grounded. Also a dwell meter will show the dwell moving all over the place as well. But just a quess.

Thanks. I finally got it running. I replaced the condenser, even though it was new. I tweaked the timing slightly so the points opened a little earlier. I was able to get it started and running to fine tune the timing with a timing light. Sputters slightly at low idle speed. Might replace the points as well to see if that improves things. I can't get the timing on target for both low and high rpm at the same distributor set point, so I may look into getting a new distributor eventually.

The old distributor dust cover has a big crack in it, so I ordered a new from from NAPA (BK S68201). Even though the new one is supposed to fit a variety of old Ford tractors including 801, the slots on the edge did not line up so it would not set flat on the distributor. It wasn't even close. I don't know if this means the distributor is not an original or if there were different versions. So I am stuck using the old dust cover. A piece of the brittle plastic on the new one chipped while I was handling it, so now I can't even return it. 12 bucks down the tube.

(quoted from post at 01:40:18 05/07/23) Thanks. I finally got it running. I replaced the condenser, even though it was new. I tweaked the timing slightly so the points opened a little earlier. I was able to get it started and running to fine tune the timing with a timing light. Sputters slightly at low idle speed. Might replace the points as well to see if that improves things. I can't get the timing on target for both low and high rpm at the same distributor set point, so I may look into getting a new distributor eventually.

The old distributor dust cover has a big crack in it, so I ordered a new from from NAPA (BK S68201). Even though the new one is supposed to fit a variety of old Ford tractors including 801, the slots on the edge did not line up so it would not set flat on the distributor. It wasn't even close. I don't know if this means the distributor is not an original or if there were different versions. So I am stuck using the old dust cover. A piece of the brittle plastic on the new one chipped while I was handling it, so now I can't even return it. 12 bucks down the tube.
ou have to select set at high or set at low.....set at high as that is where tractor works.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back