Don't like giving out my info.

Ultradog MN

I called out to West Side Tire to see if they had a pair of 14.9-30 tubes. They are about 20 miles west of Minneapolis.
I've traded with them for years.
The old guy there - I think he's the owner, answered and said yes they had them in stock. $45 and change plus tax each.
I said I'd be out there in a half hour.
Got there and the place is buisy. Four guys waiting, phones ringing, two sales guys swamped. It's always that way there.
The old guy asked what I wanted. I said I had called about the 14.9-30 tubes.
He had them on his desk.
Like a lot of places anymore they want your name, address and phone #. I dont't like giving it out.
I just said, 'Cash sale'.
He's kind of a crabby old guy but good natured in spite of that.
He said he needed a phone #.
I said, 'Nope' and pulled a C-note out of my wallet and offered it to him.
He starts complaining how it screws up his inventory yada, yada.
I have a big, deep voice so I said, a little louder, 'Mister, I've got a hundred dollar bill that says you will sell them to me on those terms.'
Everyone in the room lookd up and started watching us.
Then I said, 'And you can keep the change.'
He went off on another rant and said he didn't know why I had to be so Gol darned difficult.
But he took the C-note and gave me the tubes.
Then he said I was 1 in a 1000 for being difficult.
I said, 'I know'.
Then I said, a little louder, 'My real name is Dick - Head.'
Everyone in the room burst out laughing.
He got a twinkle in his eye and he said,
'Thanks for your business.'
And I walked out with the tubes.

Good for you. I've been in similar situations before at a retail store where all I wanted to do was PAY CASH, carry and walk out. Of course, WE HAVE A CHOICE we don't have to give them our phone number in which case THEY CAN CHOOSE TO NOT MAKE THE SALE..If thats their choice fine with me, but if I desperately need the item I might choose to give them my number ITS JUST THAT WE STILL HAVE A CHOICE, AS DO THEY.......If were talking OTHER THAN CASH that's a different story

John T As my fellow Hoosier George and I always say TO EACH THEIR OWN

Sometimes collecting telephone numbers, is to measure the effective range of their advertising. If a company advertise in a newspaper or a radio ad, and they get a uptick in sales. This is one way the retail outlets can measure if the increase in sales was from the effect of their advertising campaign, or was it a random need purchase. Also helps them judge the area their customers come from, if they want to do a mail out advertising campaign.

This isn't directly related, but back in the late 20s or early 30s my grandfather ordered a car part from Montgomery Wards. They sent the wrong part. When he contacted them to let them know, they said keep the part and they sent the correct one out. This was out in the middle of nowhere in North Dakota. My grandfather hung the wrong part on the wall of the barn and forgot about it. Several years later, Wards contacted him asking him if he still had the wrong part and if so could he send it back to them on their dime. Someone had ordered the part and Wards no longer had it in stock, but they still had a record of one having been sent by mistake to the prairie of ND.

Maybe he has an equally efficient inventory system, just in case someone needs the same item and the chance that you didn't use both that you ordered? ;)

Im with you Underdog. I dont give anything that is absolutely needed. Ive stayed at hotels & RV parks that wanted to make a copy of my drivers license. I said no but you could look at it to prove who I am. They said it was their policy to copy drivers license. I said with equal enthusiasm that it is my policy to never let anyone copy it. Turned out they both wanted my money more than a copy of my drivers license. As long as Im on a rant; I dont tolerate being carded to by beer or booze either. Up to my 30s it was expected, 40s a compliment, but 50 and beyond, its a waste of everybodys time. I am glad that I am always able to find a store with common sense and that appreciates the sale as much as I enjoy doing business with them.

Out here in rocks and cows we dont run into that problem so much and dont have to drive 20 miles to get tubes.

When I get asked for a phone number and I see no reason to give mine out, I just give them the local Sheriff's office crime tip line number.

I see your point and totally support your right to operate that way, but do you REALLY think it makes any difference?

ALL your information is out there and anybody with a little ambition and an internet connection could dig it up.

These days, several big retail chains ask for a telephone number when you check out. I ALWAYS politely refuse. Then I mention that Radio Shack wanted your entire life history to pay cash for a 10-cent fuse. Then I ask where are they now? Are you headed the same way?

Name and telephone number is a required field in order to print an invoice. Without them you get an error message.

I don't see any reason they needed a phone number for inventory ? You should of gave them the number for his business and seen how long it took for them to realize it !
Now for possible warranty purposes yes. I think autozone uses the phone number to track warranties.

I'm a farm toy collector. For years I bought toys at dealers and paid cash. My CaseIH dealer changed hands. Got all modern and fancy computers. I tried to buy a toy that was 10% off on clearance with cash. Parts guy couldn't figure out how to do a cash sale. Wanted me to open a CaseIh credit account. I said no thankyou I just wanted to buy one toy. Parts guy had to get the secretary to help. After 20 minutes they figured out how to do a cash sale but couldn't do the 10% off so ended up paying full price.

You wouldn't get by with that in mn, law says everyone gets carded for booze and cigarettes. They will get closed down if they get caught selling without carding. I think they even have to scan them like a credit card.

In my state, the only people I have to show my D/L to is a police officer. D/L contains juvenile date & not always updated. That is your policy, NOT MY POLICY. Or do you want photo ID. Office in hospital to obtain my records and they wanted my D/L. About 4 people in that office & I said (if anyone can show me their D/L with correct weight) Then they took my photo ID.

Led

I have a ''farm account'' at our local farm store. I'm identified in their records by my phone number. I give my phone number every time I make a purchase of a farm related item. They punch in my phone number, confirm my name when it pops up, and knock off the state sales tax. I have never thought of it as a problem, but then I have never dwelled on it at all.

Minnesota has been kinda goofy for a long time.
In Nebraska a bartender is allowed to keep a fake id.
The state police give a kid a fake id and drive them around to try making a purchase.

Folks,
I hate to turn this thread into a rant because I did try to write that post as an honest but humorous account of my purchase yesterday.
But I am serious about this stuff. I simply don't like giving give my info out everywhere. It irks the heck out of me that at every purchase at gas stations, hardware stores, supermarket, Grainger, Fastenal, Napa, Oreilly's and every other place I trade with they want me to have their rewards card or get on their preferred customer list. Those places ask you for it every time you make a purchase. If you don't have the card on you, just give them your phone #. You're in their databank.
I see people blithely rattle off their phone # just to buy dog food.
I say sheesh. I would Never sign up for that.
Those places do give you discounts or send you coupons in the mail for sales and the like.
If you like that stuff, GO FOR IT!
You don't have to be like me.
I don't want ANY of that stuff and I don't want ANY junk mail.
Increasingly, I am paying for smaller purchases with cash. And if I pay with cash I simply won't give you any info.
Fawteen,
You wrote 'but do you REALLY think it makes any difference?'
You are right if you pay with a debit or credit card you are being tracked - somewhere.
But I do think it makes a difference.
It made a difference for that transaction at that store yesterday and I only get one or two pieces of junk mail a month.
I was sorry to have a confrontation with that old man yesterday, he was a little irritated - but I am not going to voluntarily get tracked everywhere I make a purchase, no matter how hard they press me. Especially if I pay with cash.

And here I am riding around with my phone number, name , company name and web site plastered all over my truck and trailer. I guess because I want to be contacted??

The privacy thing went out years ago.If you have a cell phone you are being tracked,any type of GPS in your vehicle,you are being tracked.Supposedly all phone calls are recorded.Almost every store has cameras,then there are license plate readers on roads and who knows what else.Not giving out your phone number is only giving you an illusion of privacy.

I'm with you. I guarentee you that had you given your phone number that within one hour you would have gotten a call from some telemarketer wanting to sell you something

No different than me, when a clerk asks for my phone number I say if its required I'll go somewhere else. I have been thinking about having a shirt made up to wear when I go shopping:

I won't give you my phone number.
I won't give you an email address for promos
I don't want to round my bill up for charity
Don't put fliers in my bag
No, I don't want to sign up for your credit card

At our local Farm and Fleet it varies with the cashiers. Some ask for zip code, no problem. Some ask for phone number, I use the local area code and then give them Wilson Picketts number, 634-5789 some of the older cashiers just look up and smile.

I am like you no big deal to me but from reading these post must be to some folks. When anything comes in the back door of the dealership it is entered into the computer. Takes a ticket to get it out the front and we use phone number to identify the customer , if they refuse the parts counter just enters a number they have but nothing else happens to that customer number if it is a cash sale and they give their phone number. Just a way of tracking that sale. To each his own ..

(quoted from post at 13:34:39 06/10/22) We had our land line removed. I just give them that phone number.

We still have our landline, and that is the number I give, but we let the answering machine take the call. They can leave a message, but very rarely do.

When asked for my phone number, I ask if they are going to call me. Answer is always No. So, if you're not going to call me, you don't need my phone number.

Do what suits you but I like the discounts/cash back I get a many places for giving them my ID.Anyway my wife worked at a collection agency and she can find out about anything about anyone.

(quoted from post at 15:20:31 06/10/22)
How in blazes does your phone number effect their inventory?

All computer systems have a series of required fields in order to save a record. Without a record the inventory cannot decrement.

We could imagine that their computer program is wrong to require the phone but it is what it is. they do need to find a way to default a number in the field - maybe the dial-a-prayer or something, but that is another issue.

You do realize that your name, address and phone number are NOT a secret - right? There are things worth griping about but this is not one of them. You just spotted an opportunity to draw some attention to yourself.

Should the reward for shopping anywhere be lower prices BECAUSE you are shopping there? And not some wallet full of rewards cards?

Buy with cash at other places and they don't ask you for one bit of info. You don't even have to say a word or sign anything.
And that is the vast majority of retailers everywhere.

No retailer 'needs' anything from you other than the money.
To require anything else in order to keep track of inventory is due to a poorly designed inventory system.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back