Dynahoe Steering Pump?

Prepper1

New User
I have a Jy-Dynamics Dynahoe 140a backhoe with a freshly rebuilt 353 detroit diesel. When the mechanic rebuilt it he didn't put the hydraulic steering pump in correctly so now I need a new one, or even a rebuild kit if available. The pump make and part number is VICKERS 3YDS9-7RB I have search high and low for this pump or a rebuild kit or even a used pump and can't locate one. And since the steering is hydraulic I MUST have one for it to work, or try and figure out how to convert it to another available hydraulic steering pump?
Does anyone know where I can get a pump or what I can use to convert it to another pump? I need this running very bad so I can finish a project I started and since I dropped so much $ into the motor rebuild I just don't have enough funds to purchase another backhoe. Any ideas?

Exactly what got broken or damaged in your Vickers pump?

Photos?

If so rare that it can't be repaired/no parts can be found there's a nearly endless variety of belt-driven PS pumps available IF you have some mechanical and fabrication skills.

mvphoto72158.jpg

mvphoto72159.jpg

mvphoto72160.jpg

mvphoto72161.jpg

mvphoto72162.jpg

I dont think that a standard belt driven pump would work because as you can see by the last picture, this is a true Hydraulic Steering system and there is NO steering shaft, it turns by hydraulic fluid and not a physical connection. The pump installs onto the accessory drive on the rear of the 3-53 detroit diesel and when it turns the flu>d is controlled by the fuel block at the bottom of the steering sheel shaft (see picture) It looks like the dynahoe 160 and 190 had the same setup.
My pump has a cracked housing as well as.worn out and.broken parts internally and when the mechanic that rebuilt the engine was installing the steering pump he didn't have it lined up correctly so the gears didn't engage and they just grounded up on each other.

Have you search for Dynahoe specific forums and sites? I know there are a few I have visited, but don't remember the names. Dynahoes have a following, small but dedicated. Finding and checking a few of those sites may lead to some part sources. I think the adapter that mounts the pump to the engine is a GM part, from the part number cast on it.

You say you have searched high and low. You don't say if you actually took it to a shop that rebuilds pumps to see if they can help you, either with a repair or replacement.

I've been searching online for 2 weeks now and can't find a thing for it. I took it to a shop and they had it for a week until today when I picked it u] because they can't find any parts for it whatsoever to rebuild it.
At this point I'm dead in the water here and I'll do whatever it takes to get this backhoe going. It now has a brand new $8k motor in it that I can't use because I can't steer it. And I need the backhoe going because when it initially broke down I was digging a large pit for a project that has since been caving in towards my home and is now about 10 feet away.
I'd buy a new or used pump that will work or rebuild this one orphanage it to a different type, whatever it takes to get steering. But I have been hitting a brick wall everywhere and nothing....

Here are some possible sources I came across web searching, you may have checked these, but throwing them out as maybe one will help, if you haven't seen it.

Dave Laing, Mr. Dynahoe in Northern NJ
Cell # 908-337-4157, he has New and Used parts, he is the parts dealer and repair center for Dynahoe in NJ.

https://hoffmanequip.com/

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1467643

Have you checked out the ssb tractor dynahoe board?

Minnpar might have something or know a place to check.

I think you could make a belt driven pump work. If it is too a low volume it might be slow and if too high a volume it may be quick, but it could get you going. Does your pump have three hoses on it? If so I am thinking suction, pressure, and the third is a return to sump from the pressure relief valve which I think is in the block on the back of your pump. If that is the case you would need to install a relief valve in the pressure line. Just thoughts based on your pump pictures.

Just some thoughts, no connection to any of them.

IT looks like what is in your picture is the hand pump. If that is so why not just put a different hand pump on with a close or same displacement to steer. Charlyn has plenty of options.

[b:bcda05de4a]And I need the backhoe going because when it initially broke down I was digging a large pit for a project that has since been caving in towards my home and is now about 10 feet away. [/b:bcda05de4a]

Can't help with the steering pump problem but maybe you'd better talk to a dirt contractor to address the current situation with your house. Might be money ahead to deal with that now and get the hoe together later on.

Gerrit

(quoted from post at 19:15:31 03/24/21)
[b:27d7a1d851]And I need the backhoe going because when it initially broke down I was digging a large pit for a project that has since been caving in towards my home and is now about 10 feet away. [/b:27d7a1d851]

Can't help with the steering pump problem but maybe you'd better talk to a dirt contractor to address the current situation with your house. Might be money ahead to deal with that now and get the hoe together later on.

Gerrit

I'm keeping a close eye on it. I'm in North Idaho and every time the snow and ice melts it caves a little more, then it freezes again and melts again and same thing over and over.
If I don't have my backhoe running within a week I'm going to rent one for a few days and put a retaining wall in, which was part of the plan to begin with bit a bit further away from the house. After my hoe broke Winter set in and the ground is to frozen to dig. But now it's warming up and the permafrost is gradually melting so I can dig now

(quoted from post at 15:53:03 03/24/21)
Here are some possible sources I came across web searching, you may have checked these, but throwing them out as maybe one will help, if you haven't seen it.

Dave Laing, Mr. Dynahoe in Northern NJ
Cell # 908-337-4157, he has New and Used parts, he is the parts dealer and repair center for Dynahoe in NJ.

https://hoffmanequip.com/

https://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1467643

Have you checked out the ssb tractor dynahoe board?

Minnpar might have something or know a place to check.

I think you could make a belt driven pump work. If it is too a low volume it might be slow and if too high a volume it may be quick, but it could get you going. Does your pump have three hoses on it? If so I am thinking suction, pressure, and the third is a return to sump from the pressure relief valve which I think is in the block on the back of your pump. If that is the case you would need to install a relief valve in the pressure line. Just thoughts based on your pump pictures.

Just some thoughts, no connection to any of them.

Thank you so much! I never heard of Hoffman or Dave Laing. I've sent messages. Hopefully I get great news tomorrow! I have tried Minnpar and SSB, nothing available. I have my fingers crossed.
I'd like to keep it all the same because of the ease of doing it, but if I have to figure out how to convert it > guess I'll have to. But.I have an extremely bad back and both hands are in bad shape, so me working on them is challenging at best. I'll have to try to find a mechanic that has the time and knowledge to do it. Most equipment mechanics out here are very busy with all of the logging equipment though

(quoted from post at 18:27:48 03/24/21) IT looks like what is in your picture is the hand pump. If that is so why not just put a different hand pump on with a close or same displacement to steer. Charlyn has plenty of options.

>f I can't find something in a day or two then I will have to try to convert it. But I don't think its gonna be easy. The equipment guy that had the pump for the past few days said that the back part of the pump is important to regulate the pressures, and he couldnt locate a pump that was compact swap with. It's all way over my pay grade, I have no idea what they are telling me. But it sounds like to convert it I'll have to change alot more than just a different pump if I end up having to change to a different type of pump

(quoted from post at 13:50:35 03/28/21)
Don't know anything about this outfit but it might be worth a call if you have already.

https://hydraulic.net/webster-hydraulic-pumps/

OR>>>>>>

put a priority valve into the main hydraulics with a tap to power the power steering... The 2700 lbs will need to be dropped to 1100 lbs??????? just guessing here. And put a dummy plate over the old.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back