Ever try to sell used disc blades?

I have a pretty good pile of them and don't think I will need them. So I posted them on FB market place. The people want to buy a couple and make some sort of cooking dish. Say they sand them up good and weld legs on them. Build a fire under them. Selling them this way is a pain in the

Attachments

• Disc blades.jpg
    Disc blades.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 86
I have a pretty good pile of them and don't think I will need them. So I posted them on FB market place. The people want to buy a couple and make some sort of cooking dish. Say they sand them up good and weld legs on them. Build a fire under them. Selling them this way is a pain in the
Usable disk blades bring good money at a consignment auction plus it is understood that the terms are AS IS for the condition. No complaining about using them as a cooking utensil or otherwise.

Charge enough to make it worth it. I have built 2 already and they work great. Build them and sell for $50 if you have time and need something to do

You might find other people who still disk. Since I don't do disking for others anymore, I sold some new 24 inch blades to someone who still does disking, and a few used ones. I did give one to someone who wanted to make a fryer . I gave a couple away to a friend who uses them for target shooting. He said they really ring when hit. I use disk blades to hold plastic on a bank to keep the rain water from washing dirt into the road. Someone stole one. If you have craigs list in your area list them there also. Stan

A friend with big equipment gave me a pile of used disk blades after he changed them out on his BIG disk. The center hole on the used blades fits my little Kewanee disk perfectly. I'm set for life concerning disk blades. Which reminds me - a few months ago I was southbound on Illinois 13/127 approaching East Industrial Park Road in Murphysboro, Illinois and the biggest disk blade that I have ever seen was lying concave side up in the left turn lane approaching the intersection. It looked like a brand new blade, and it certainly was a severe traffic hazard. Being a retired IDOT employee and recognizing my civic duty to protect the travelling public, I quickly stopped and removed it from the roadway. I think that it will make a real nice base for the belt sander that's on my list of projects.

The only way you're going to get anything out of them is to sell them 1-2 at a time to people who want to make "discadas" (that cooking thing), art, bases for shop tools, etc. out of them.

Nobody is going to buy them all and pay you anything more than about 1/2 scrap price for them. Next best option is to take them to the scrapyard yourself. The one example where someone re-used blades... they got them for free.

In grade school we used old dick blades as bases on softball diamonds.

Lets see most of the older smaller discs used a blade of about 16-18 inches and the newer bigger discs use a blade of around 22-24 inches. The smaller ones were usually removed at about 12-14 inches and the bigger ones get removed at about 16-18 inches or a bit larger so why would nobody buy the old blades from a bigger disc if they are bigger than the old ones they have and need some. As for the hole if it will slipover the shaft and is tight it would not matter if it was a round hole or a square one. I have even mad spcers out of old disc blades to make the nut set at the right place in the threads so it didn't bottom out or haves so many they got banged up on stones and filled with dirt yet had a couple threads showing so they were for sure tight. We also have some old blades around if somebody is in need of some I'd sell them cheap.

You might find other people who still disk. Since I don't do disking for others anymore, I sold some new 24 inch blades to someone who still does disking, and a few used ones. I did give one to someone who wanted to make a fryer . I gave a couple away to a friend who uses them for target shooting. He said they really ring when hit. I use disk blades to hold plastic on a bank to keep the rain water from washing dirt into the road. Someone stole one. If you have craigs list in your area list them there also. Stan
I used two 24 inch blades, welded a 2 inch pipe to them, Welded a metal tractor seat to the other end of the pipe and made shop chairs.
I gave them to my daughter. She has them in her art studio.

Lets see most of the older smaller discs used a blade of about 16-18 inches and the newer bigger discs use a blade of around 22-24 inches. The smaller ones were usually removed at about 12-14 inches and the bigger ones get removed at about 16-18 inches or a bit larger so why would nobody buy the old blades from a bigger disc if they are bigger than the old ones they have and need some. As for the hole if it will slipover the shaft and is tight it would not matter if it was a round hole or a square one. I have even mad spcers out of old disc blades to make the nut set at the right place in the threads so it didn't bottom out or haves so many they got banged up on stones and filled with dirt yet had a couple threads showing so they were for sure tight. We also have some old blades around if somebody is in need of some I'd sell them cheap.
Guys only seem interested in old used disc blades if they are extremely cheap, or free. They're not going to pay $20 a disc, or $10 a disc, and probably not even $5 a disc.

You also have to consider that the discs are not just wearing in diameter. They are also wearing in thickness and becoming brittle from work-hardening. When pieces start breaking out of the disc it's junk no matter what diameter it still is.

The only way you're going to get anything out of them is to sell them 1-2 at a time to people who want to make "discadas" (that cooking thing), art, bases for shop tools, etc. out of them.

Nobody is going to buy them all and pay you anything more than about 1/2 scrap price for them. Next best option is to take them to the scrapyard yourself. The one example where someone re-used blades... they got them for free.
Funny.......I had a guy over here once, forget why...some kind of maintenance guy.....happened to see my pile of used blades and asked if he could have one....he wanted to make some kind of cooker....must have been what you said a "discadas". I gave it to him.

I used two 24 inch blades, welded a 2 inch pipe to them, Welded a metal tractor seat to the other end of the pipe and made shop chairs.
I gave them to my daughter. She has them in her art studio.
I have paid $50 each for shop stools exactly like that.

Weld a pipe coupling to the center (or a reducing coupling and screw a 3 foot piece of pipe into it. they make great stands for signs and rope people guides. Jim

I read your post on old disc blades. I made yard art for a while. I cut disc blades in thirds and used them for sunflower leaves welded to a tee post. I made the flowers out of cultivator rolling shields. Ladies went wild for them.

I have had some used disc blades laying around for 20 years or more. I recently got rid of a couple/few tons of scrap but kept the disc blades. They are smaller blades with the 7/8" square hole that was used on the old Dearborn, Ferguson, Love and other 3 point discs for the little N series Fords. Discs with that 7/8 hole were unobtainable when I was still messing with those tractors. I would Give them to someone that needed them.

I have a few around. How do you fill in the hole for cooking, what do you use for the patch, every time I have tried welding one it just cracked faster. Just curious I'd like to try making one for cooking. Thanks Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back