Farmall 300 clutch trouble

dewy

What have i done...did the ta,new throw out bearing,new clutch disc used old pressure plate. Tightened pressure plate an disc on to flywheel after putting tractor together....95%sure springs on clutch disc facing pressure plate,flat side of disc to fly wheel....went to adjust clutch an clutch shaft that holds fork that moves throw out bearing will only move a 1/4 IN EITHER DIRECTION,no matter how you adjust clutch rod,you can see rod bending..will not engage fingers on pressure plate.it touches the fingers...take all linkage off clutch shaft lever ,only moves 1/4in any directuon..i can push fingers in with pry bar....
20240418_200551.jpg

What have i done...did the ta,new throw out bearing,new clutch disc used old pressure plate. Tightened pressure plate an disc on to flywheel after putting tractor together....95%sure springs on clutch disc facing pressure plate,flat side of disc to fly wheel....went to adjust clutch an clutch shaft that holds fork that moves throw out bearing will only move a 1/4 IN EITHER DIRECTION,no matter how you adjust clutch rod,you can see rod bending..will not engage fingers on pressure plate.it touches the fingers...take all linkage off clutch shaft lever ,only moves 1/4in any directuon..i can push fingers in with pry bar....View attachment 67620
It wont let me post more pics

Bolts in fork are to the rear of tractor...i rember having to hold mouth right to get shaft in where clutch rod lever would be pointing tolds clurch pedal..something confused me when doing that,first time maybe wasnt pointing right....does anything look wrong.....dewy

What have i done...did the ta,new throw out bearing,new clutch disc used old pressure plate. Tightened pressure plate an disc on to flywheel after putting tractor together....95%sure springs on clutch disc facing pressure plate,flat side of disc to fly wheel....went to adjust clutch an clutch shaft that holds fork that moves throw out bearing will only move a 1/4 IN EITHER DIRECTION,no matter how you adjust clutch rod,you can see rod bending..will not engage fingers on pressure plate.it touches the fingers...take all linkage off clutch shaft lever ,only moves 1/4in any directuon..i can push fingers in with pry bar....View attachment 67620
The TA linkage needs to be unhooked when adjusting the clutch pedal travel. After you have it where you want it, connect the rod from the ta lever to the rocker lever. Push the TA lever all the way forward, then hook up the ta rod that goes from the clutch rocker to the TA lever. You will have to adjust the yoke on the shaft in order to be able to put the pin through.

Did you try operating the clutch with the short link to the TA off the tractor? What did it do? With that lever off the clutch is like a regular clutch in an H. If something is assembled incorrectly in the TA clutch section that may be limiting the stroke of the machine (tractor) clutch. Did you have a repair manual to follow while doing this job?

U need to remove that pin at the rear of the starter for the ta. Then do your free play. Are u sure the sliding collar for the release brg. Is correct and not backwards ?

Did you try operating the clutch with the short link to the TA off the tractor? What did it do? With that lever off the clutch is like a regular clutch in an H. If something is assembled incorrectly in the TA clutch section that may be limiting the stroke of the machine (tractor) clutch. Did you have a repair manual to follow while doing this job?
From your other post about clutch adjustment, the stop bolt E with lock nut D is a pedal stroke adjustment. With the clutch linkage disconnected that needs adjusted so the pedal can push forward 4 1/4” from the deck stop. You’re indicating the rod is bending that would seem your problem is in the machine clutch or the TA release rod is restricting the movement.

Attachments

• 20240417_212808.jpg
    20240417_212808.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
With all rods disconnected from the clutch levee shaft.it still will not pushin fingers on pressure plate....ta lever is disconnected...with just clutch pedal rod hooked to yoke shaft lever its like hitting a brick wall when pushing clutch pedal...clutch pedal will not move pressure plate fingers

U need to remove that pin at the rear of the starter for the ta. Then do your free play. Are u sure the sliding collar for the release brg. Is correct and not backwards ?
The throw out bearing collar can only go one way...but the fork that moves bearing coller might be able to be turned around...but that would have the bolts toward front of tractor..you see the pic they are in back...ta repair for farmall tractors video shows them in towards rear of tractor...what in the world have i done...that shaft that holds fork for throw out yolk just has no movement

With all rods disconnected from the clutch levee shaft.it still will not pushin fingers on pressure plate....ta lever is disconnected...with just clutch pedal rod hooked to yoke shaft lever its like hitting a brick wall when pushing clutch pedal...clutch pedal will not move pressure plate fingers
Well it's a good thing these are a breeze to split and put back together cuz if it's doing that without the TA linkage hooked up and you're going to have to split it again and see what it's been binding on in there hopefully there's a new shiny Mark in there that wasn't before

Yes and video.
.ta is disconnected...from clutch shaft...ta lever has good motion by its self

Turn the engine so the clutch fingers that are down now are up for the purpose of checking if something fell behind one of them so it can fall out. Maybe take a rod or screwdriver and tap on them to help dislodge something if there is something stuck behind them. Also are the clutch fingers in such a position that they are sticking or binding because they are contacting on the chamfer around the outer edge of the throwout bearing face? So due to the angle they are wedging and not sliding as they would on the flat front face of the bearing? Don’t know how well that is described. Just grabbing at things hard to see from a picture sometimes always better in person.
Otherwise, I agree with fx. Looks like round 2 is in your future.

How much pressure does it take to disengage the pressure plate fingers...if clutch disc was in backwards would that cause this problem...i had tractor running yestetday..no strange noises..no grinding..

How much pressure does it take to disengage the pressure plate fingers...if clutch disc was in backwards would that cause this problem...i had tractor running yestetday..no strange noises..no grinding..
Not sure if that is the likely cause but never say never. What it would have to do is pull the clutch pressure plate levers down to the end of there stroke and they would be bottomed out. They really don’t look like they are to me. I haven’t been around a clutch job on a tractor for years so my judgment there is not worth a lot. The clutch finger in the bottom of the photo looks positioned oddly in relation to the center hub, but again hard to tell, it could just be the angle of the photo.

a pilot shaft should be used to align the disc and tighten it to the flywheel. then a person can see whats going on. the springs in disc face the pre. plate. and the bolts to rear of tractor as u say in the fork. it appers you have a problem with that pressure plate as that fork collar sure is close to the pres.plate. dont look to be much room for travel. and them pres. plate fingers should be straight when the bolts are tightened. they are sitting at an angle. as you tighten the bolts you should see the fingers straighten out. and is there a shoulder there on that fork collar ? wondering why its not tight to the grease nipple ? something is not right there. you see that 1/4 inch of spline showing on the input shaft ??? should have more than that for the collar to travel and push the fingers. you collar is hitting the pres. plate , that why you cant get any adjustment and the rod is bending.

a pilot shaft should be used to align the disc and tighten it to the flywheel. then a person can see whats going on. the springs in disc face the pre. plate. and the bolts to rear of tractor as u say in the fork. it appers you have a problem with that pressure plate as that fork collar sure is close to the pres.plate. dont look to be much room for travel. and them pres. plate fingers should be straight when the bolts are tightened. they are sitting at an angle. as you tighten the bolts you should see the fingers straighten out. and is there a shoulder there on that fork collar ? wondering why its not tight to the grease nipple ? something is not right there. you see that 1/4 inch of spline showing on the input shaft ??? should have more than that for the collar to travel and push the fingers. you collar is hitting the pres. plate , that why you cant get any adjustment and the rod is bending.
rr, scroll up to my reply #10. Click the underlined part number it’s a link to the CaseIH fork collar.(remember the head gasket post this is one of those photos you’re so fond of) It shows the step the bearing is resting against. This is a TA tractor with a live PTO. Those splines you see are live PTO drive splines that are driven by that hub in the pressure plate. You can’t see the splines the clutch plate engages onto. Look at the photo in reply 5, the two sets of splines are shown there. You may very well have a point about the release fingers being at an angle more so than being parallel with the plane of the throughout bearing face. Me I would have to see how much the release fingers were drawn down as the bolts were tighten to assess whether or not the pressure plate and clutch combination might have a suspect problem.

Was out in the shop and it came to me that my 300u uses the same clutch so I dropped the inspection cover and snapped a shot of what mine looks like. Please forgive the cobwebs it's been sitting for a bit. But as you can see I have almost 2" of spline showing where you don't even have half an in. I'd say that the clutch disc is in backwards and the throw out bearing is hitting the collar of the disc and can't go anywhere and that's your bind

Attachments

• IMG_20240419_180048279.jpg
    IMG_20240419_180048279.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 40

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back