Farmall 400 Char Lynn Power Steering

I have a Farmall 400 with a Char Lynn power steering. See attached pictures. Im getting a little leak coming from the output shaft of the torque generator. I would like some help on understanding what model torque generator I have, advice on the steps of replacing the seal from someone who has tackle this model and a source to get the quad seal. The steering works fine so I dont want to disassembled more than I need to.

mvphoto71122.jpg

mvphoto71123.jpg

it looks like an s 101 d torque generator. there is a quad o ring on each end and another quad ring inside. the shaft ones are 1 3/16 od by 1/8 inch. you
need 2 . and the big one is 2 1/8 od by 3/32 you need one. they are on amazon or mcmaster carr has them. you will end up with a package of 25 or
so but they are pretty cheap.

First, thanks to both of you for your input. Found the model number on the end. It is a S-101-F. Does that change any of the information that was provided? My plan is to remove the power end and replace that quad seal and the seal between the power end cap and the first spacer and leave the rest alone. Does that sound like a good idea? Thanks again for your help.

cvphoto80615.jpg

yup, that will work. clean the outside really good and shine up the shaft with some emery cloth before you disassemble. i scribe a line down the side of the pump before you take it apart. that way all the pieces stay clocked. it works good if you clamp the pump upright in a vice . the seals are the same for either pump

(quoted from post at 21:12:50 03/06/21) it looks like an s 101 d torque generator. there is a quad o ring on each end and another quad ring inside. the shaft ones are 1 3/16 od by 1/8 inch. you
need 2 . and the big one is 2 1/8 od by 3/32 you need one. they are on amazon or mcmaster carr has them. you will end up with a package of 25 or
so but they are pretty cheap.

Is the big ring also a quad ring? I'm thinking, I always though it was just an o-ring.

If you are pulling it out of the tractor, which I would recommend to clamp it in a vise with the end up you are
working on pointed up that is best. Just make sure the shaft does not pull up and get out of place or time. As
difficult as it is to get the tin work off of a 400 I would recommend sealing both ends, it is just a few extra steps
at this point.That way it is far less likely you are back in there again repeating the steps to seal the other end.
The input and output both make the same amount of turns.

(quoted from post at 05:03:43 03/09/21) Click below, should have all the info you need...

Thanks. It looks like the information you provided a link to is for the 217 and 227 series and the 207 series. I didnt see anything on the S 101 although the older version of the 207 series looks similar. Are you aware of documents like these for my S 101 F Torque generator?

There must be something out there, but this is all I have at this time. I will keep digging through my binders and post here if I find
any more info.

The link by woreout should get you a seal kit the link by Steven/AZ should be helpful instructions. Nearly “sterile” clean on in ID is important. Buff down the areas on the shafts where the seals ride with 240 grit emery tape and finish with 400.

I have a Farmall 400 with a Char Lynn power steering. See attached pictures. Im getting a little leak coming from the output shaft of the torque generator. I would like some help on understanding what model torque generator I have, advice on the steps of replacing the seal from someone who has tackle this model and a source to get the quad seal. The steering works fine so I dont want to disassembled more than I need to.

mvphoto71122.jpg

mvphoto71123.jpg
I have a couple of those Char-lynn 101 and one was leaking on input shaft enough to empty system. I bought the kit from Midwestern Steering which is 2-small, 2 Large Quad O-Rings. The O-ring seem to be about 1/16" to big for the shaft and recess. When I took it apart it just had regular O-Rings in it so I picked some up at the O-Ring store we have locally for $2.00 and it fixed the leak. I wanted to return the Kit but Midwestern Steering insisted it was the RIGHT parts and just tuck them in there?????so no return. Since it is fixed so far I don't want to tear into it again-EXTRA PARTS for NEXT TIME?

I have a couple of those Char-lynn 101 and one was leaking on input shaft enough to empty system. I bought the kit from Midwestern Steering which is 2-small, 2 Large Quad O-Rings. The O-ring seem to be about 1/16" to big for the shaft and recess. When I took it apart it just had regular O-Rings in it so I picked some up at the O-Ring store we have locally for $2.00 and it fixed the leak. I wanted to return the Kit but Midwestern Steering insisted it was the RIGHT parts and just tuck them in there?????so no return. Since it is fixed so far I don't want to tear into it again-EXTRA PARTS for NEXT TIME?
Orings will work, but they will not last nearly as long as the quad rings that are supposed to be in them to seal the shafts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back