Farmall A magneto

grandpa Love

Bought this tractor a month ago. Hadn't run in years. Hand crank only, no place for a starter. Replaced on part at a time in magneto until we got spark ( condenser was the last part that did the trick) didn't swap coil. Tractor always starts real easy. One click on choke, the one quick pull on handle and it's running. Until 2 days ago. Can not hand crank it. Have to pull it off with another tractor, starts really quick, within 8-10 ft. Any ideas? Spark at plugs is weak orange. Mag snaps over good. Coil? Condenser? Points gap? Only run it 4-5 hours since we got it.
cvphoto128961.jpg

When a mag ignition tractor is hard to hand start and the spark produced when its hand turned over is weak (perhaps thin wimpy yellow VERSUS good visible blue ???) BUT it starts n runs fine right away when pull started

ONE COMMON PROBLEM MAY BE THE IMPULSE SPRING IS WEAK and/or broke and/or the overall wind n trip up impulse assembly is at fault. Sure points or condensor or coil can be the cause of a weak spark, but a weak or broken spring or impulse assembly can be the cause when one has a weak mag spark making it hard to start but alls well when pulled.

See what Bob M and Janicholson have to say, they know more about IHC mags then I do

Best wishes to you, hope this helps, have a great day now and get her going yayyyyyy

John T NOT an IHC Mag expert so no warranty, see what others think

Never dug into a magneto deep enough to replace impulse spring, I'm guessing it's possible? It does snap good...... Darn it all ..

Hi Grandpa the first year production of the Farmall A & B tractors starters were not available and there was no hole in the torque tube to fit a starter. Ihave an early 1940 B and like all the A& B tractors send to the UK in WW2 they were not fitted with starters. On your tractor set the points to 15th and set the plugs to 30th. The tractor should be fitted with a IH F4 magneto and they are an easy mag to repair and all parts are available your side of the pond. MJ.

MJ, you have a B? And here I thought you were a fordson guy! Lol picture of your B? We love ours, even if it purple!
cvphoto128962.jpg

Grandpa; I can fix the mag for you as I have the testers and magnet charger. I do them as a hobby & don't charge much. Let me know. Thanks.

My CC Case would always fire on the third pull of the crank...until you could crank it for 1/2 hour and never get it to fire. Pull it 2 feet and would run perfect. Found the spring in the impulse coupler was rusty and dirty...cleaned it all up and back together. Third crank and running. Impulse coupler spring is supposed to give it a quick spin, mine was dirty and could not do that.

I mentioned this to my father, he is and old hand at gas powered engines and said if you can't start it when you crank it, but can when you pull it then it's not getting enough spark. So he suggests that you replace the magneto. But as Teddy52food said, he can test and fix it, which sound like a cheaper option then out right replacing it. Unless it's beyond repairing, which I hope it's not.

From seeing all the Farmall jewelry you've posted in the past, I'd be surprised if you didn't have a dist. you could slip on that baby. gm

Snapping is the release of the spring, the speed of the extra fast rotation may not be enough to do the deed. They are just a mechanical device. not a grand father clock!! Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back