Farmall C Clutch

Alright, finally got the tractor split, was rusted together. Ordered a new clutch, installed it, put the tractor back together and now have zero pedal. You can push the clutch all the way down, throw-out bearing doesn't touch the forks. I didn't change anything other than the clutch and throw-out bearing. Thoughts, tips?

Did you try adjusting the clutch linkage? I believe there is a distance specified the clutch peddle should travel and the linkage where the clutch peddle connects to the tractor is how its adjusted.

Ir would seem that a new disc would make it have less free travel. Are you sure the disc is installed in the correct position? I hope you did not bolt the tractor back together.

(quoted from post at 06:00:52 05/01/23) Ir would seem that a new disc would make it have less free travel. Are you sure the disc is installed in the correct position? I hope you did not bolt the tractor back together.

Actually as the clutch wears (gets thinner) the pressure plate clamps down more, causing the fingers come out farther, and free pedal travel decreases. That's why you have to keep adjusting the free pedal travel as it wears.

Going from a slap wore out clutch to a new clutch you are going from no free pedal travel to all the free pedal travel, lol.

I suspect you may be right about the disc being installed backwards. The "nose" of the hub should be facing to the rear. If it is facing toward the flywheel, it's holding the pressure plate partially open.

Are there any shipping/installation blocks wedged in under the outer edges of the pressure plate levers? If it had some they usually fall out when the pressure plate is bolted down. If the flywheel surface was worn down quite a bit and the flywheel was not turned and the outer step turned down to spec the pressure plate levers may not pull down enough to release them.

alwayssomething,
Some clutches come with three clamp bolts installed that compress the clutch to aid with install and need to be removed after the clutch is bolted up. Are there? If so, did you remove them?
Like your handle.
Dennis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back