Lightner

Looking to buy a Farmall MD. It is missing the carburetor. Starts on gas switch over to diesel. Very expensive replacing the carburetor. My question is it possible to crank on diesel or do you have to start on gas?

Those were madeto start on gas. The starter is not enough to start them on Diesel, some say they will start that way, but they were never designed for that. You can pull start it on Diesel.
DWF

Those were madeto start on gas. The starter is not enough to start them on Diesel, some say they will start that way, but they were never designed for that. You can pull start it on Diesel.
DWF
Thanks, any idea where I might find the correct carburetor at a reasonable cost?

Thanks, any idea where I might find the correct carburetor at a reasonable cost?
that carburetor was used on the early td 90 dozers , pretty sure I know a guy that should have one. No about to put my phone number out here for everyone but will see what I can do and get back to you

DWF
pull starting is about the only way. i have started them on diesel with the starter, but that was right after it was shut down, other wise not a chance as it takes the gas at least a minute to warm the head up for it to fire on diesel. and pulling them it will be a 1/2 mile of pulling till it takes off and be smoking like a freight train till it starts. unless u give it a little snort out of the can. and dont use too much.

Looking to buy a Farmall MD. It is missing the carburetor. Starts on gas switch over to diesel. Very expensive replacing the carburetor. My question is it possible to crank on diesel or do you have to start on gas?
Farmall MD, SMD SMDTA Farmall 400D 450D and the M engined tracked internationals used the carb (with differences but I think usable) Salvage Yards may also be a source such as Bates Equipment in Bourbon IN. Jim

that carburetor was used on the early td 90 dozers , pretty sure I know a guy that should have one. No about to put my phone number out here for everyone but will see what I can do and get back to you
I think you mean TD9, but I believe the 9 series uses a different carb. A TD6 would have the right carb. What do you know about the engine itself or what is the condition of it or at least when did it last run? These engines often crack the head and sometimes the parent bores of the cylinder sleeves. If there is coolant in the radiator and none in the bottom of the oil pan when you crack the drain plug that is a big plus. If it hasn’t ran in a year or two about 90 percent of them need the diesel injection pump torn apart to free up gummed up and stuck parts in them that won’t let it pump fuel to the injectors. If you just want an old tractor to knock around with get a gas burner. Otherwise you will be paying a lot of extra cash just to have a unique machine. The carb number you’re looking for is, 53873DH.

Try ebay and Farmall parts suppliers. They will not start well on diesel (Unless very hot) and a lot of things have to be just right in the process of switching them over gas to diesel.

Place a wanted to buy in the classified section of this Web site. Also search Farmall on flebay as stated earlier. Your taking a chance when buying used but I don't see much choice. The cylinder head on that engine is most likely cracked as most are. It can be repaired but that's also an extra cost. I would bid very low on that tractor knowing all of this and god knows what else will need repaired.
Dave

If it is what you want, and you are not into "originality" you could use a carb from a 18 hp gasoline engine and set the throttle to a position that allows it to run and lock it there. I think it would work. Jim

That engine can be expensive to work on. Especially if you do not due your own engine work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back