Ford 3600 Crank No Start Diesel Help

Luke0927

Hello everyone, really appreciate some help and knowledge here.

My grandpa who has mild dementia in his 80s took of on the 3600 and I found it out in the field, I thought he possibly forgot to turn the fuel on but looks like I have bigger issue.

Like before I thought I would just need to bleed filter and injectors and it would fire off, but looks like I may have bigger issue.

I have new filter installed, I've got fuel filter bleed and getting fuel at the injectors when opening nuts there.

What should my next step be to troubleshot can anyone help me understand what makes the compression and firing on these diesels?

My thoughts,

1. Never had to use ether on this tractor, is it safe to try and give it a small hit and see if I get it to light? This would probably be my next thought, but wanted to check here first.

2. I don't know how long he possibly tried to crank the tractor could I have too much fuel in the piston bowl; should I pull injectors and turn engine over to try remove possible excess fuel in piston bowl?

3. Further ways I can troubleshoot narrow down to injection pump or injector possibly?

Pump and injectors are original

Thank you

I checked everything over decided to use a little ether got it going.

Not sure what original cause was if he left fuel line closed or not, guessing had some air in the injection pump still.

CAV pump recommendations, per the manual, recommend that when you pull out the fuel lever to shut down the fuel flow and stop
the engine you leave it out till you are ready to start again. Did you consider draining the tank and installing fresh fuel? If it was
running when it was parked you shouldn't have to worry about mechanical problems.

Diesels run on (adequate) compression, air to compress, and correct timing....with diesel fuel of course. Good compression is
necessary to heat the combustion chamber to a level that will explode the fuel mist when injected. You need inlet air to fill up the
cylinders and compress. Timing is necessary to get the fuel mist squirted at the correct time.......that's it.

When you said you squirted fuel when cracking the injector fuel line nuts you ensured that fuel, not air was present. The timing
should be as it should be since it was running when parked. Air intake could be clogged due to a dirty filter or bird nest in the air
intake. That leaves low compression....possibly just from sitting, rings frozen by caked oil or worn piston rings, or battery isn't hefty
enough to spin the crankshaft fast enough to generate the necessary heat.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back