Ford 4000 remote control valve backhoe

jedolson

New User
73 4000. Have op to buy Alamo/SMC 65A 3 pt. hoe with very little use for $1000. and would like to use it on the 4000.

Could use some help on what the current remote control valve was intended to be used for and what changes I'd need to make to operate the hoe.

Thanks for you help, not familiar with rear hydraulics. I've only had the 4000 for a few years and its been dedicated to an 8' flail.

I also have a JD 790, would it be easier/better to adapt the hoe to it? I know the power beyond kit is obsolete for the 790 and the 4000 would be a more 'stable' platform.

Never had a hoe before but could sure use the thing. PO of the hoe passed recently.

Thanks
a167375.jpg

a167376.jpg

You could use the tractor remote valve as a source of oil for the backhoe control valve. Should work just fine as long as you don't mind slow operation.

K....but I've got two female connectors on the 4000 and a male and a female on the backhoe how do I remedy that?

When you say slow operation...how slow? I'm not digging stumps or anything just clearing the bridge of debris and a bit of trenching, picking up downed trees etc.

You put two male tips on the backhoe that fit the female couplers on the tractor.

The speed of your backhoe will depend on the size of the cylinders. If memory serves, the pump on a 4000 isn't good for much more than about 5GPM. If you can find an owner's manual for the backhoe you're getting, it should give some recommendations for pump flow, and if you're really lucky, it might even give you some cycle times for various flow outputs. Of course, you could always do the math...

Assuming your 4000 has an 8 speed transmission with the gear pump in the right side of the rear axle center housing, then the pump for the 3 point system only generates about 4.7 gallons per minute. If it has a Select-O-Speed transmission with the engine mounted pump then it generates about 5.8 gallons per minute. For a backhoe you really want at least 11 or 12 gallons per minute and for true happiness you really want 14 gpm. I have a '73 4000 with the S-O-S transmission and I have a Freeman loader being run off of the 5.8 gpm engine pump, and it is slow but tolerable (barely), and a backhoe needs more flow than a loader, because effective backhoe work requires moving multiple cylinders simultaneously.

If I were you I would look into a PTO driven hydraulic pump to power the backhoe.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back