Ford 8000 Tractor

JonG29426

New User
Hello all, I recently purchased a Ford 8000. I've started working on the tractor and I am trying to figure out how to replace the high low control arm shaft. It looks like the previous owner tried to weld the high low lever onto the input shaft, destroying the splines on the input shaft. I purchased a new lever and control arm shaft but having trouble changing it. I removed the floor panel on the top of the transmission and removed part of the parking brake assembly to access it. Any help is much appreciated.

Pictures of the old and new shaft.
mvphoto103539.jpg

mvphoto103540.jpg

Been several years since i have been in one but, i think a split between the transmission and rear end housing will be required
to service that part. Spitting stands should be used to roll the tractor apart. A good service manual will be of great use for
that repair.

OFM is correct about the need to split the tractor, and gives good advice about getting a service manual. With that said, I've got bad news and good news.

The bad news is that according to the manual, the shaft in question is the absolute last thing to come out of that transmission (see below). The good news is that I have a wee bit of a shortcut.

Split the tractor behind the transmission and remove the high-low parts from the back end of the trans. Cut the broken shaft in half from the inside with a torch or sawzall, because the main countershaft gear will prevent you from simply sliding it out from the inside. Note: the existing broken shaft might be short enough to slide out as is. Then drive in and remove the bushing the shaft pivots in. This will give you enough clearance to sneak the new shaft in on an angle. Once in place, you can drive the bushing in from the outside over the shaft.

This little trick will save you hours if not days worth of work, because if you follow the manual you'll be splitting the trans from the engine as well and gutting it.
cvphoto150219.png

Bern is correct, If I remember
right when I did mine think I took a pipe to drive the bushing inside, but that's been 20 years ago.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back