Front tractor tires - Farmall M

Binderson

Hello,

I am wanting to replace the front tires on my Farmall M since one of them only stays inflated for a day. I am not too familiar with changing/replacing a tractor tire. What recommendations does everyone have? Would I take the tires off and take the rims somewhere to have new put on? Will the front tires have tubes in them or do those tires not have them?

I don't believe the tires currently have tubes but I am not 100% sure about that. I tried finding the leak but was unable to find it and I'd rather have 2 new ones since the tires are old. The tractor is fully restored and it's used for fun around the farm and used from time to time when needed for yard work. So it's not used daily for labor-intensive work.

Thanks!

If it' got the 'old'(factory original) 3 spoke cast wheel,it is a tubed tire.If they are
the newer pressed steel 6 bolt wheel,they could be tubless,but not likely. The easiest
way is to remove and take the rims to your favorite tire store and pay them to mount the
new ones. Buy the new ones from them too.If you are not experienced in tire work,doing
these yourself is not recommended. Weather or not if the tractor acctually works,the need
for good tires is the same.

7.00-16 are probably optimal three rib tires. They will be tube type, and are now (99% probability) Jacking and blocking for both off at once, requires a
hydraulic jack under the tractor behind the oil pan on the casting. then cribbing to hold it up, not the jack. Another way: The good tire can be driven up onto
a 4X4 so the bad tire is off the ground (hold the steering wheel tight). then a floor jack can lift the tractor at the iron wheel where the first was removed.
Block the jack so it cannot lower while the 2nd tire is off. Jim

yes for tire shop , as you need to buy them so they will also mount them. and yes tubes. tire size is 600x16 from factory, dont want any
bigger than 650x16. about 350.00 later you will be driving around. 30 years ago i bought bkt 600x16 for 55.00 each. sure wont be that now.

Jim--7.00-16? Misprint? If you are not comfortable with jacking and cribbing or if you don't have access to the proper jacks, do as Jim said and drive up on a 4X4 and take the tire and rim off the side not touching the ground . Trip to the tire shop and back with new tire and reverse the operation with the other side. Gary.

Once you get the wheel off the tractor you also need a couple of tire irons and a way to break down the bead on the tire. I put mine under the drawbar of a tractor and use a jack to break down the beads. You
also need a little tool to remove the valve stem and of course a way to pump the tire up after you get it back on. If you do it your self you have to be careful not to pinch the tube between the rim and tire
or you will still have a leak and a bad tube. I do my small tires and have tubes in all of them and when I'm finished by back feel broke so the easiest way is to take the wheel somewhere and have it done. If
you get the tire off and the rim is rusty then there is some more work. No bad intentions to the other guys that responded to getting the wheels off but that only works on a narrow front end. He didn't say
what he had.

I just replaced the front tires on my Ford 8N. One was decent the other was shredded, although the tube had only one hole in it. Decided to try replacing them myself. I watched a few youtube vids but I pretty much knew how to do it.

Ordered some inexpensive ($99 for tires and tubes) in the 4.00 - 19 size off the internet. They got here in three days, I barely had the tires off the tractor. The tractor just is used on a 125 bu. manure spreader every other day to unload on a pile, no hard use, so cheapies are fine (Thailand made, tubes from Korea).

I used the front loader to break down the beads and flat bars to pry them off. The good one was good inside, looks like the last time someone was in there they cleaned it up. The other had heavy rust. I wire wheeled it and patched some small holes with JBWeld and painted both. On the good rim the tire went right back on. On the other the tube had a pin hole leak, took it off and patched it, put it on, still leaked. On the second try I probably pinched it, but had some other tiny pin holes too. Ended up using the old tube from the good old wheel for the third try.

While I had the rims off I took off the hubs and inspected and greased them the bearings and painted the hubs and lug nuts.

All in all I think it was worth while for the money saving and the experience doing it.

(quoted from post at 14:34:38 08/18/20) Hello,

I am wanting to replace the front tires on my Farmall M since one of them only stays inflated for a day. I am not too familiar with changing/replacing a tractor tire. What recommendations does everyone have? Would I take the tires off and take the rims somewhere to have new put on? Will the front tires have tubes in them or do those tires not have them?

I don't believe the tires currently have tubes but I am not 100% sure about that. I tried finding the leak but was unable to find it and I'd rather have 2 new ones since the tires are old. The tractor is fully restored and it's used for fun around the farm and used from time to time when needed for yard work. So it's not used daily for labor-intensive work.

Thanks!
put new fronts on my F-14 way back when. It was a little less work than changing a 14" car tire, but still worked up a good sweat for a couple hours.

Thank you for the feedback. That is true I didn't realize that it would make a difference on if the tractor was a narrow or wide front end. Thankfully it is narrow. I don't plan to put a new tire or tube in myself. I found a place that can come to my place to do it all for me or if I can get the tire off I can drop the rim/tire off to them and they will do the rest for me. I shouldn't have any issues getting the tire off. I hope anyways. The only concern I have is the value stem is not held on with a nut-like the back tires so I wonder if it's not tubed? I hope that doesn't impact me being able to use the same rim and get tubes with new tires.

(quoted from post at 16:14:09 08/21/20)
Thank you for the feedback. That is true I didn't realize that it would make a difference on if the tractor was a narrow or wide front end. Thankfully it is narrow. I don't plan to put a new tire or tube in myself. I found a place that can come to my place to do it all for me or if I can get the tire off I can drop the rim/tire off to them and they will do the rest for me. I shouldn't have any issues getting the tire off. I hope anyways. The only concern I have is the value stem is not held on with a nut-like the back tires so I wonder if it's not tubed? I hope that doesn't impact me being able to use the same rim and get tubes with new tires.
hose smaller tubes like for front tires don't usually have the nut.

(quoted from post at 16:24:51 08/21/20)
(quoted from post at 16:14:09 08/21/20)
hose smaller tubes like for front tires don't usually have the nut.

Good to know, thanks!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back