Gas vs diesel question

We need another tractor here for moving hay rolls around, all on flat ground more or less. We have the 64 4000 backhoe 4cyl diesel, and it works just fine doing the job. A second tractor like this one is what I am looking for now, and here comes my question....

We start this old diesel up about every other day, run it for 10 min and shut it down. Thats all the time it takes to run a bale out. The engine never gets past 120 ish, so never gets up to op temp. Sometimes when we are moving a lot of hay around it does, sure but that is a rare work day.

So I am wondering if doing that to this old diesel engine is "bad" for it in some way. Lately the dry engine has begun to weep oil, it seems like either the valve cover side cover or maybe the bottom head gasket, I'm not real sure. Probably just typical of an old engine but I wonder if the way we use it is contributing to the slight but noticeable leaks. A few drips a day from where it ends up on the bottom of the pan just yet.

Anyhow... would a gas engine be more suited to this short run constant use? This 4000 is the only diesel we have ever had so... what I know about diesels can fit in a coffee cup.

So should I be looking for a gas engine over a diesel for this work? I'd like to just put the bucket back on this 4000 and use it for what it is... a backhoe.

Any engine gas or diesel needs to be brought up to operating temps occasionally to cook the condensation out
I prefer the lower maintenance and less fuel consumption of a diesel, but the pre 65 Ford diesels are not as robust as the 65/later engines
64/earliers Ford tractors I prefer a gas, 65/later diesel

Don't know where you're at but farmers where it's cold like a gas for winter feeding. Older diesels are harder starting and require being plugged in to make it better.

If... it starts ok in the very cold, then I would just try to change the oil a little more often for the short run times... maybe every two years instead of longer... And run a quality hd diesel oil that has the additive package to handle the moisture and fight the formations of acids, yet still keep the engine clean on the short running time. If however starting is a bear, maybe consider moving to gas. I would figure out a way to stay with diesel myself.. assuming I park the tractor where is could be plugged in during the winter... Down here is not a problem as long as you have a good battery. A quick shot of starting fluids in worse case will fire off my tractors to avoid long cranking times.

This 4000 will start right up easy until it gets down to about 40F... then it takes 5 or 10 turns. I give it a tiny sniff of starting fluid like you to avoid cranking a long time. It only takes a whiff....the stuff I use says it has lube in it. down below freezing, it might take a longer whiff but still... minimal. No smoke or blow by as far as I see. Runs pretty clean for a diesel.

I can change the oil twice a year if that helps... that wouldn't be a problem. I havent changed it since I drug it home, that was... quite a while ago. I better get on that.

Short runs without a complete warm up is considered severe service so changing oil at least annually is important. You should also be concerned about your transmission and hydraulic reservoirs. If you have UTF in it check it regularly for water absorption. It will look like a coffee milk shake. If you have old style gear oil/hydraulic oil like it came with new, just loosen the drain plugs. Any water that is in there will be on the bottom and will drain out. no need to change.

(quoted from post at 05:39:13 06/19/22)

Short runs without a complete warm up is considered severe service so changing oil at least annually is important..

Would running the tractor every time until it hits the point where the thermostat opens up and let it run thru a few cycles at op-temp help?

I can always take it for a joy ride around the field when time allows. Not much actual work involved but, it would be up to temp and cycle a few times.

Just my opinion from automotive experience water temp is good but oil temp is what matters. Moisture builds up in the crankcase from condensation. It takes a lot to get a motor warm enough to get the moisture to vaporize.

(quoted from post at 15:09:49 06/28/22)
(quoted from post at 05:39:13 06/19/22)

Short runs without a complete warm up is considered severe service so changing oil at least annually is important..

Would running the tractor every time until it hits the point where the thermostat opens up and let it run thru a few cycles at op-temp help?

I can always take it for a joy ride around the field when time allows. Not much actual work involved but, it would be up to temp and cycle a few times.

Few diesels will come up to operating temp without doing some work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back