Gasket Dressing

I am doing the Pan gasket, final dive pan gaskets, etc. on my IH 154 Cub Lo-Boy and can't remember what I used years ago to dress them. What ever I used worked good (no leaks) but was a bear to get off. I do have some surface scratches so I need to use something?

Maybe a dumb question but if they weren't leaking, why are you re-doing them?

I put a light smear of whatever Permatex product I happen to have on hand on one side of the gasket to stick it in place while I assemble the parts. Some people use plain old grease, which makes getting the old gasket off fairly easy. There are about 1000 different ways to do it, none of them wrong. It's not like you're going to put something on there that's going to melt the engine block... About the only thing you can do wrong is put way too much on, and end up with gobs of schmoo everywhere inside and out.

permatex high tack sealer is good stuff and makes for easy removal.
Well if any of the gaskets are rubber/neoprene I would not use High Tack. One time a guy at the shop used it on a valve cover gasket on a Mack engine. As soon as the engine warmed up the High Tack worked like grease and the gasket slide right out from under the cover and there was an oily mess all over the engine.

Maybe a dumb question but if they weren't leaking, why are you re-doing them?

I put a light smear of whatever Permatex product I happen to have on hand on one side of the gasket to stick it in place while I assemble the parts. Some people use plain old grease, which makes getting the old gasket off fairly easy. There are about 1000 different ways to do it, none of them wrong. It's not like you're going to put something on there that's going to melt the engine block... About the only thing you can do wrong is put way too much on, and end up with gobs of schmoo everywhere inside and out.
Clutch knocking so while I am there, I might as well replace seals. etc.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back