Help deciding first project - Ford 9N vs Allis-Chalmers

Hi, I'm looking for a winter project to work on in the garage. This will be my first tractor and will not likely be used for any sort of work as I do not own enough property. I contacted a friend to see if they had any old tractors laying around and I found more than expected. Among the choices for tractors that have just been sitting around for years were three 9n's in various states, a Jubilee which is quite rough, International 184, Ford 4610, and an Allis-Chalmers C.

There is not a lot of information available about these as they belonged to has grandfather that passed away several years ago.

I have narrowed my choices down to a Ford 9N or the Allis-Chalmers C as some of the other choices are newer or larger than I would like. Plus the Ford has two others I could pull parts off of if needed, one of which also has a Sherman.

The 9N I would be interested in is stored indoors and also has a Sherman installed (no idea if it is a step-up or down). Fuel tank is empty and clean, radiator is still full of anti-freeze, and the rear tires are still half aired up or better. But the fuel line has been cut and it's missing at least one spark plug wire plus the entire air cleaner assembly has been removed (Actually, it's missing form all three oddly). So this tells me it likely had some sort of issue when parked.

The second is the Allice-Chalmers C which is in great shape (restored possibly and the seat cushion is still wrapped in plastic even) but has been parked for at least 15 years. The tires had a lot of tread left when parked but have since gone flat and are junk now. Fuel tank still has fuel in it and I'm unsure about the radiator though I would assume it to still be full as well (all of the tractors still were). However my friend remembers his grandpa buying this at an auction and it getting used once, then being parked due to an engine issues, he thinks it was something with the crank but is unsure. It has a belly mounted Woods (I believe, can't remember) mower and the pulley setup on the back/bottom to drive it. No three point hitch added.

I know the Ford is going to be cheaper to repair generally speaking and I have part tractors available and it has better tires. But the Allis is in generally better shape all around and since this will be more of a parade toy, a three point hitch may not be important.

I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have on the matter on which you would think make a better choice and why.

This post was edited by Jeff_K on 11/03/2022 at 01:46 pm.
the front end on the allis if from a B, But the back if from a C if you look the cast center.

Hi, I'm looking for a winter project to work on in the garage. This will be my first tractor and will not likely be used for any sort of work as I do not own enough property. I contacted a friend to see if they had any old tractors laying around and I found more than expected. Among the choices for tractors that have just been sitting around for years were three 9n's in various states, a Jubilee which is quite rough, International 184, Ford 4610, and an Allis-Chalmers C.

There is not a lot of information available about these as they belonged to has grandfather that passed away several years ago.

I have narrowed my choices down to a Ford 9N or the Allis-Chalmers C as some of the other choices are newer or larger than I would like. Plus the Ford has two others I could pull parts off of if needed, one of which also has a Sherman.

The 9N I would be interested in is stored indoors and also has a Sherman installed (no idea if it is a step-up or down). Fuel tank is empty and clean, radiator is still full of anti-freeze, and the rear tires are still half aired up or better. But the fuel line has been cut and it's missing at least one spark plug wire plus the entire air cleaner assembly has been removed (Actually, it's missing form all three oddly). So this tells me it likely had some sort of issue when parked.

The second is the Allice-Chalmers C which is in great shape (restored possibly and the seat cushion is still wrapped in plastic even) but has been parked for at least 15 years. The tires had a lot of tread left when parked but have since gone flat and are junk now. Fuel tank still has fuel in it and I'm unsure about the radiator though I would assume it to still be full as well (all of the tractors still were). However my friend remembers his grandpa buying this at an auction and it getting used once, then being parked due to an engine issues, he thinks it was something with the crank but is unsure. It has a belly mounted Woods (I believe, can't remember) mower and the pulley setup on the back/bottom to drive it. No three point hitch added.

I know the Ford is going to be cheaper to repair generally speaking and I have part tractors available and it has better tires. But the Allis is in generally better shape all around and since this will be more of a parade toy, a three point hitch may not be important.

I'd like to hear any thoughts you may have on the matter on which you would think make a better choice and why.

I'm an Allis man to the core, but those little N series are darn handy. Easy to get on, easy to run, and the 3 pt is already there. If I had to choose between my 2 boys C and 2N, most times I'd pick the 2N.
AaronSEIA

The fact the N has a side mount dist does not mean its a 8N engine : (. I would need to see the other side to make the call. The oil fill tube location would nail it and a few other things. At first look yes 8N but there is still a doubt. I know nuttin about the AC they are a a rare bird in my hood. To make a decision I would need to know the price of both.

I would like to see the Jub its a N on steroids.

Pick the one that is closest to your wife’s favorite color if you want to keep peace in the family.. or at least attempt to…

I would prefer the AC. Parts are available, including battery boxes. I think later Bs had the dished wheels like in the picture but from the width It looks like a C, with a B front end. The engines are fairly easy to work on but if you have to grind the crank you need to shim/adjust the bearings when putting it together. Not hard but takes time.

Allis would be the most worthwhile. Someone set it up to be a wide front and moved some stuff around see if he has a narrow front for it while you are there. Snag that for sure.

Then In All the N series fords to the full extent you can.
The 184
The 4610
Then Finally that Jubilee. They are different from the n more valuable but if its in bad condition it might not be worth the extra work to get it back in shape.
Thats the order id go at it regardless if its him or you doing it bringing them back to life. Correct me if I'm wrong red people but the 184 would also be a nice choice and if you were only snagging one it would be tempting if you don't like the allis to go for that?

Does the AC have hand brakes or individual foot brakes? And the 9-2N Fords have individual foot brakes both operated with the left foot, Not good for a newbe And I do own both a 9N and 2N but that 2N came to live with me when I was 9 months old or 90 years ago. So I grew up with it. Best for you would be a tractor with both left and right breaks operated by your righe foot on either both brake pedals at omce for stoping or wither left peddel for turning left or right pedal for turning right. Not being used to any thing but the car brakes the other style could be dangerous to you.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back