Help deciding first project - Ford 9N vs Allis-Chalmers

get them both running . the only way i would want the ford is for ease of getting on and off and use it as a quad for run around stuff. as for a work tractor they are not much. the allis does look like it would be easier and cheaper to get running. but that is depending if the engines are free or not , which they can be stuck from sitting that long. its your gamble.

The seating position on the B is it's biggest drawback. More powerful than the Ford, but Ford is way more comfortable. One thing I didn't see mentioned is with 3 gears the Allis is slow and in my experience with mowing, there is no good gear--either painfully slow or painful in a different way fast. You could run it in a parade, but not a tractor ride, unless you found a ride for slow tractors. If you had the sherman over/under you would have a useful tractor for slow yard work, and fast enough for any ride.

The sherman would be on the ford, though it would have helped the B if they had made one for it.

As said that is a C with a B front. You have the wider finals which is a C. The mower deck appears to be a Woods L59. A C with a narrow front is a great little mowing tractor. I have decks on a C and a B. Like the narrow C better. But as has been said-You have to be kinda a contortionist to get on the Allis's. Lots of parts out there! Good luck on whatever you decide.

As I recall the B did not have a provision for a starter in the bell housing. My grandpa considered putting a C bell housing (whatever that entailed) on his B to get electric start but never got it done.

Find something with a live PTO , live hydraulics , a proper drawbar , real three point hitch , a creeper 1st gear , working brakes etc

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back