HF 6/12 up to 200 a charger /starter

souNdguy

noticed Harbor freight had a bat charger/starter on sale for their parking lot sale this weekend.

something like a 135-150$ charger at their store according to add anyway.. dropped to 70$

i decided to take a look.

must be a limited qty item ( loss leader? ) anyway.. after looking and getting ready to leave store employee asked if I was loking for anything.. I mentioned the bat harger. they were out.. etc.. she came back after looking and said there was one on the clearance table.

open box, but not a return. apparrently box was tweaked in loading and they opened it up to look at it.

unit is rectangle metal housing with an angled panel front and a bolt on tube handle at the op that sticks up.

then metal const.. etc.

anyway.. tube handle was tweaked a lil, and the metal housing was either tweaked or simply assembled in chine a lil out of square as onl 2 of the 4 holes lined up.. looks like a 3rd could be hand forced.. but the 4th was not hand forceable. I askewd them what they wanted to do with it as it wasn't priced..manager asked for an offer. I said how about 50$.. he sat there for a second and said.. sure, looked at the sales clerk and muttered some code to ring it under..

got home.. ende dup using a wood screw on that 4th bolt hole as the taper tip of the screw could be hand forced to line up just enough to catch.. then dray in. a dab of black gloss paint on the screw head and you can't notice.

now for the details.

box is a lil devoid of details.. and as you figured.. there is a bit of a catch on their numbers.

they make the claim.. 6/12v charger.. 2-10-40 charge

100-200 start.

once you get the manual out the details emerge.

12v is 2-10-40 selectable.. and rated for continous duty. has a tmer with a hold function.. rest and start button.

12v 200a setting is a misnomer. it's rated at 7v @200a :)

6v setting is 40a, continous... or 3.5v @100a.

both the starting settings are low duty cycle.. like 15 seconds on / 4m off.

xformer appears to be aluminum wired.

jump leads are claimed to be 78" but are 70.. I guess they ount the 8" that go inside for hookup :)

power plug is a healthy 30a rated one. ( good job.. )

now the test.

i did a lil charge testing and some carbon pile loading.

while they made some misleading claims.. their cheap lil aluminum charger starter DOES perform pretty good.

I got it as high as 58A on 6v start ( at 6v ) loading it further started rolling the voltage off. similar on the 12v start.. a brisk 116a at 12v.

open circuit voltages in various settings were measured as high as 16v

Lightly loaded high current settings produced voltages in the 13-15v range.
fairly acceptable.

the metal panneling comes off easy as they are nothing but panels and self tappers..

I plan on putting a line driven muffin cooling fan on the xformer that is tied past the primary switch.. thus it will have some cooling... it already has venting.

it's wheels are cheap plastic.. but fit and roll fine.

axle mounts are a lil overly basic clamp style.. but work.

insulation on the cable clamps is a soft rubber... good sized clamps.. appears to be some sort of plated or galv contacts. half way decent looking.

only thing it lacks is a plastic bunji or rod across the handle under it to hook the clamps to when not in use.. I added that.. :)

for 50$.. heck.. even the 70$ I'd call it an ok buy.

I forsee my 2-10-55 not getting as much use now.. :) which is ok. I have a couple 2/6 12v/6v units.. a schumacher and a n old wards. wards works fine.. cloth covered wirews and all.

schumacher took a dump the other night.. think it's current limiter popped..

anyway.. neat lil unit. decent sized xformer inside.

ps.. it's claim of 30a primary usage is exagerated according to my ammeter.. I don't recall seeing a primary current over 16A .

soundguy

Nice write up SoundGuy!
I wish I had seen these before I bought my bigger charger/starter.
Mine only does 12 volt, and I keep the little 6 volt charger around for the rest.

Excellent review!

Glad I got a good charger at 150 bucks on sale that test out as advertized. Even better is that everything is now 12 volt (2 8N's and an M farmall) as the new chager is 12 only!

My next question is if a batt load tester is worth buying......yea I can take a batt into the local (6 miles one way) parts place and have it tested......or get a nice load tester for under 70 dollars. Still trying to justify buying one.

Rick

HF has 2 restive ones for laod testing, and a 3rd much larger carbon pile.

all depemnds on how serious you want to get.

I hav ethe carbon pile and the large restive one, and some bulb testers.. but then i'm an electronics guy and i love diagnostic equipment.. :)

i was taking a chgance.. since it was a clearance item, it was a no return for sure.. but it's suprisingly decent. i kinda expected exagerated charge numbers. i thought they might tried some sort of peak wattage claim.. but they are just using a different votlage rating.. :)

either way.. for 50-70$.. I think it's at least worth the money.

i wouldn't buy it at their full price of 135-150$ though.. I think you can get something better from napa at that range...

Sounds like you did well.

I bought a HF roll-around charger about eight years ago for my business. It performed well, even when abused by employees. I never had a bit of trouble from it.

I also bought a Century unit about the same time. I got it because it had 24V capability, which I needed. It died pretty quickly, and I called the warranty number - which turned out to be Lincoln Electric (the welder people) who are operating Century as a subsidiary. They led me through troubleshooting over the phone and determined that the rectifier had failed. They sent a replacement part overnight. After that it never missed a beat. I recommend Century highly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back