I need a restored Farmall A

As the title says. After 25 years of searching I located my Grandpa s 1939 A. It s about 6 1/2 hours away in a collection of restored tractors. The gentleman doesn t want to sell it but said he would trade it for a comparable restored tractor. Now the hard part. Where do I find another, hopefully near mid-Michigan that is nice enough, but not so nice that it will cost enough to make the wife mad?

Interesting! You want a restored tractor the cost of which won't make your wife mad. If you had found the family tractor at a farm sale and it was running but not well, had tin work but dents/rust. Had a seat but only the frame. Had oil/fluid, but leaked several places. had air in the tires, but not well contained.
With this in mind (and your specific desire for the original tractor) you would have spent 800 or so on that tractor and put another 3000 in it to make it like it was? If so, arrange with the current Dad's) tractor owner to make the trade after you find A like tractor and restore it, then trade! Jim

I thought of doing that but haul milk 70-80 hours a week plus raise calves and farm with my daughters. Not likely time to restore a tractor.

I found several Farmall A's in Michigan on Facebook Marketplace, in various shapes going up to parade ready. I also looked at Craigslist, but didn't see any there.

Restored is a relative term. Is the tractor completely rebuilt, like new? Or is it nicely painted? I am not sure where you are in MI but there are a couple A's for sale on Craigslist in Bannister MI. Maybe buy one of those, and have an auto body shop pretty it up for you if you don't have the time? I don't do any restorative sheet metal work (or really anything cosmetic) so if you've got a different opinion that's fine. Good luck with your project. Dave

Thanks for the replies fellas. I talked to the gentleman last night and he said as long as I get one that doesn t smoke or leak and has shiny automotive pain we can get around anything else. I have a couple to check out so we will see what happens.

(quoted from post at 13:03:21 02/08/23) As the title says. After 25 years of searching I located my Grandpa s 1939 A. It s about 6 1/2 hours away in a collection of restored tractors. The gentleman doesn t want to sell it but said he would trade it for a comparable restored tractor. Now the hard part. Where do I find another, hopefully near mid-Michigan that is nice enough, but not so nice that it will cost enough to make the wife mad?

If a super will fit the bill and your willing to arrange shipping from northeast Nebraska, I might be able to help.
mvphoto102496.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back