I think i love my 63-4000 better than my 850!!!

souNdguy

I pretty much finished up all the 'fixin' ont he 63 4000 today.

Adjusted the thrust bearing play and sector backlash and lubed the box.. drained some real nasty decades old gear oil out of it. steering is like butter with almost no play at the wheel before fronts start responding.

got all the rest of the sumps done monday, and the final drive finished up yesterday.. oil bath had some nice gunk growing in it..

rewired the birds nest of mis matched wireing she had.. and found the problem why it wouldn't start with the resistor inline when i got it.. the wire from the key switch to the resistor and from the resistor to the coil was a piece of 1/8 coax!!!!, at the ressitor side, the crimp connector was holding on to a SINGLE strand of wire from the ground braid of the coax.. it broke off in my hand while changing it.

replace dthe dash lamp and wired the alternator as a 3 wire setup. she now startes charging at about 400 rpm, vs about 2x that. idiot lamp method works great.

brakes are adjusted and she will lock up either side if you stomp.

rear tires are 95% with very little weather checking, rims a-ok

front tires are almost bald, have 2 of the 5 ribs (5.5-16 multirib )still showing good, rest are just bumps, and are checked but hold air good. front rims have a nice patina, but no 'structural' rust.. a wire brushing should clean them up nicely. I'm almost tempted to leave the front tires as are to be nice to the pasture. 5.5's are a lil more narrow than I normally run.

front steeirng pins at the wide front are tight and show no play, nor is there any noticeable play in the spindles or tie rod ends.

hyds seem nice and strong and smooth. I still need to tweaks the carb a lil but she will start on 1-2 revs and idle right around where the alternator will turn on.. 350-450 rpms or so.

Overall I don't see lots of wear on the brake pedals or clutch pedal, clutch feels good and crisp.

she takes throttle ok, and has no smoke while running though on the first rev at startup there is a puff or two of dark smoke.. more if you choke it, though she seems to not need choke to start, even if cold.. I'm going to go over the carband check for a rich mix.

engine runs smooth and sounds goo.. not a lil loose and clattery like my old 850.

oil pressure on 15w40 oil is 55 rock solid, hot or cold, idle or throttle ( new gauge to verify ).

Overall I'm happy as a clam with this 4000. the sherman combo is a hoot to drive out onthe flat parts of the pasture.

She has obviously lived in a dry climate around clay. I've been scraping off dozens of red clay mud dauber nests all over her.. and the dust collected and hardened on her is a brown red clay dust.

have plenty od scraping and cleaning and a lil degreasing to do, but overall am amazed at the good condition of this machine...

soundugy

Really is a great looking tractor but are you sure this isn't some sort of spring fling?
Ron

it's just in better condition than my 850. My 850 is well used ( though still up for the work I do with it. )

soundguy

coax...

it was meant to be... true love at first sight.

Dang, sounder, your luckier that a 3 petered dog.

aside from that one stuck drain plug that made me work a lil.. the rest of hte machine is coming out pretty straight.

soundguy

pizz poor.. :) only one strand was hooked up.. barely enough juice to get her to load on my trailer.

soundguy

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back