IH 484, project worker

Loki223

New User
Alright, long time forum user, but brand new to this forum. Seemed like the right place to go though. Me and the DW are getting a IH 484 from her parents. They replaced it several years ago with a newer 4x4 tractor. But since we are building our own place on 24 acres and have need for a tractor for tractor stuff, they offered to give us their old tractor instead of us finding a buying something with so much of our finances tied up in building. I'll get some pictures tomorrow, as if y'all are like other forum types, we all love pictures. But I figured I could start this thread to chronicle the journey from old passed down tractor to a a daily work horse. She is 1970s vintage I've been told, my FIL doesn't know much about it, or mechanic stuff in general. I've always worked on my own stuff so naturally I'm planning on doing all the work myself unless it's something overly major and I don't have time for it. She also has a WL21 loader on it. Looks like it has a hook and pin adapter on it, since we aren't getting any attachments with it, I'll be converting that to a skid steer style quick attach system, being that I've done extensive construction stuff, I know how easy it is to use and how many attachments i can get for it. As I find out more I'll post pictures and questions. Any questions y'all have feel free to ask, there will be more coming soon. We got her fired up tonight so I plan on starting out with filters and fluids and going from there. Looking forward to my daily project most likely for a while

Hi welcome to YT, IH 484 is a good tractor. My brother has 5 of these Doncaster, UK built tractor from 454,474,684,495,3230, all basically the same with different engines and improvements over the years. I
help him on his farm and am involved when there is any mechanical problems. If you are in the USA your 484 was probably a crated unit basic power train built in the UK and shipped to Louisville, KY, USA and
assembled using IH USA parts for some things like electrical, power steering, front axle and some hydraulic valves, similar parts to IH 404, 504.
Is it gas or Diesel?
Do you have manuals?

The tractor is a diesel, and no i don't have any manuals for it, but that is on the list of things i want to track down. I want to say it was a 4 cylinder, but honestly i more so glanced at it while i was tracking fuel lines.

One thing i did notice, i didn't see a priming button to prime the system, i know most older diesel systems required priming, but i am guessing this is self bleeding? I'll be brinigng it home tonight if the rain lets up, or tomorrow if it doesn't.

If you brother has 5 of them, are any of them for parts? lol I do know i want to source new plastic bezels that go on either side of the instrument cluster. The one on the right that hols the ignition is long gone, with the ignition just dangling there. The ignition is also faulty so the tractor gets started with a screw driver. I think that's one of the higher priority fixes i'd like to start with, and rather then making my own bracket to hold the cylinder, i think it would be nice to source the correct trim panel. I've tried searching a bit online, and didn't come back with much

Hi, it will have a German D-139 3 cyl Diesel engine, the fuel system is self priming. If you change fuel filters, there is a bleed screw on top of each filter but it relies on pressure from the fuel tank to
bleed so make sure your fuel tank is at least 3/4 filled before changing fuel filters. Add some Diesel fuel conditioner to the fuel to keep the seals on the Bosch VA pump in good shape as they were designed
before ULSD Diesel was the norm. BECAREFUL to RELEASE the parking brake before driving, the idiot light on the dash either doesn't work or is not very bright, on 95 series they added a flashing light and
others have added a buzzer.
Re brothers tractors, no all in use during hay season, 495 on haybine, 454 on rake, 474 on square baler, 684 on round baler and 3230 with 2250 loader loading and pulling wagons.
I am in Canada so our 54-74-84-95-30XX tractors are more like the European versions.

See link for free download of European IH 74 series manuals.
484 Service Manual

Does this community generally prefer the TCW3 2 stroke oil over the additives? 2SO is generally accepted as adding substantial lubricity to ULSD diesel in the truck community, i've owned many diesels over the years and have a good background in diesels in general, Almost all series of cummins engines, along with the detroit 6.2s and 6.5s and powerstrokes as well.

Thank you for the manual links, I was planning on trying to find those today. What are the differences between the 74 and 84 series?

Yes , 2 cycle is good that is what my brother uses. Years ago owners added ATF but I hear the formula has changed and I of the additives is not good
for the pump anymore. Are you aware of the cold start position on the Stop/Start/Run lever? The decal is probably missing.

Differences between 454 and 484, depends on if it is early model 484 or late model with the H shift pattern but mostly tin work and more idiot lights on
the dash and generator to alternator. It wasnt until the. 85 series that IH made some changes in the transmission to improve the connection for 4WD.

the label is there, kinda. i would imagine it acts similar to a choke, all the way out to kill the motor, and somewhere in the middle to help with cold starts. I am one of "those" people that can get onto just about any piece of equipment and figure it out. Extensive operating background, but i do know i will have a couple of questions soon, but first i'll glance through the manuals, they should answer just about all of them

Don't even get me started on ATF as an additive, thats an argument i've had with many people over the years, modern ATF has additives in it to resist burning which tends to foul injectors, it's also incredibly harmful for HPCR systems, which this definitely is not. I'll be picking it up in a couple of hours and get some pictures up. Still getting used to this old school forum layout, pretty sure it's been over a decade since this style/layout was common. So i just have to remember all of the old ways of doing some of it and see how much of it works. Reminds me of the good old days of the internet, so that's always fun.

Lets see if these images will imbed the old fashioned way or not. Going to start cleaning her up and finding things that need fixed and going to town, i know brakes are definitely on the agenda

Is there a post count for images here? Tried posting some and was refused for something not matching community standards. I use google photos to host images and can generally post without issues elsewhere

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back