IH 56 planter

300guy

So has anyone had any experience with this planter? I am looking at it and cannot see how it is lifted out of the ground. Has anyone had any issues with this type of planter? Thanks for the info.
cvphoto162253.jpg

Good planter in its day.

JD with the 7000 and then all the others have come out with much better ways of controlling depth of planting, and so on.

But that will put seed in the ground and give you a crop.

Its getting a little harder to find seed corn that is sized well for plate planters any more.

But you are probably not running 500 acres of top production with a 4 row any more.

It should take a standard 8 inch stroke hyd cylinder in the hitch there.

Paul

Thanks. I would use it to plant 5 acres of milo in my CRP food plots. So I think it would work fine for that.

I second,and strongly recomend buying an owners manual! It will tell you the correct gearing for proper seed spaceing. And plate recomendations. Plus a faft of useful and neccessary info to allow you to get the best possible result.Not setting it by the book could result in a 'half @$$ed' job,and lessthan a decent crop.Planters are far too complicated to just 'wing it'. A successful crop depends up on it. Binder Books;Jensales;Ebay;your IH dealer are just a few scources.

As Timmy said, it lifts with a two way 8 inch hydraulic cylinder.. Good planter, ran one for years, no issues.. You will need four seed plates for your milo... Can find them on internet.. Need a operators manual, I have my old one I would sell.. Any questions, I'll try to help??

Dad and Grandaddy bought one new and used it for years till me and dad upgraded to a 900 series plate planter. The other posters are correct with it missing a hydraulic cylinder that fits inside of the white tongue. Seems like ours was a 3x8 single action cylinder. The row unit depth control is a hair pin clip with a bunch of hole selections on each press wheel arm. It did good for it's time frame, but we wanted something with no-till capability, hence the upgrade along with some parts were getting hard to obtain quickly. The only 2 regular problems that I remember us having are the row marker tripper flap, which is a thick piece of plastic located on the end of the hyd cylinder arm, would wear quickly and hang up the markers. The other was the main drive clutch would only last approximately 250 acres before being toast, but thinking back, I believe the John Blue piston pump we also had mounted on it for the 28 S nitrogen, which the clutch also drove, was more than it could handle. You will need filler rings to accompany the milo plates as the plates alone are too thin to fill the plate gap area. We normally pulled ours easily with a IH 674/ 684 but a IH 454 will handle it fine without the fertlizer attachments.

Cylinders did not come with planters or any other implement, you bought it seperate if you wanted a cylinder as at that time most were transfered from to plow, then to disk or field cultivator then to planter. This save the expence of buying an extra cylinder.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back