IH 824 transmission

nicolast91

New User
Hi everyone,

I found a nice IH 824 MFD from 1971 for sale near me and I'm looking to buy it. I talked to the owner an he told me the tractor have 8 speeds in total : 4 forwards and 4 reverses. No H-L gears. Left lever as 2 positions (forward and reverse) and right lever as the 4 speeds.

I never saw an IH tractor with H-L gears. Is it common? Have you ever saw this on another IH tractor? It can't be the only one.

Thank you all!
Nicolas

Confusing information. If it has High Low, it has 8 speeds forward and 2 in reverse.
If only forward and reverse, then it has no High Low??? Jim

Hello Nic welcome to YT. I know nothing definite about
your tractor. It seems to me that it would be unusual
for a tractor that was sold for agricultural purposes to
only have 4 speeds. In the link is information from a
site called Tractordata.com. It does not list the type of
transmission you are describing as being an option for
an 824. But it is also known that that site makes
occasional mistakes. The only thing I can think of is
that your tractor was ordered with a task such as
loader operation in mind where switching from a
forward to a reverse gear quickly and easily was
important. So maybe it was special ordered with a
shuttle type transmission more like you would find in a
back hoe. Just a possible theory. Or it could be the
previous owner entirely missed a lever that shifts the
ranges.
IH 824 info

Most IHC tractors after the 60 series had a 4 speed with a High /low set up. Pictures of the levers and the tractor would help with this. Like an areal view of the operators station would be sufficient.

Hello Nicolast91
See this link from ihace.de: https://ihace.de/01_schlepper/0824/824.htm
An 824 has 2 forward groups and 1 reverse group in each group you have 4 gears. There are also versions with an Agriomatic gearbox this gives a torque amplifier and a reverse shift without having to clutch. These tractors can be identified by an oil filter on the left side of the transmission and a lever next to the hand throttle lever.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back