IH gas shut off leaking

INCase

I presume several models of IH tractors used the same fuel/gas shut off.

our 444 gaser is leaking around the gas shut off valve stem. it didn't used to leak but i have been shutting it off and undoing the electric fuel pump wire to sort of disable it so if someone was going to try to steal it maybe they wouldn't get very far and give up.

anyhow i suspect that since i've been turning it more that it has loosed something up. dirt inside valve? the nut holding the stem in is loose?? worn out?

any suggestions? has/had about 1/2 a tank of gas and is not leaking alot but always has a couple large drops of gas hanging on the knob and near the sediment bowl.

Thanks.

Some have an oring inside that can be changed. You would need to drain the fuel, remove the nut and screw to get it out.

Others have a packing. Try tightening the nut, it may snug down and stop the leak. If the nut it tight and won't easily turn, you can back the nut off, twist up some Teflon tape, make several wraps around the screw stem, put the nut back on, see if it will stop the leak, keep adding tape until it does.

Sometimes it is the packing around the stem. Sometimes the seat where the stem screws into gets distorted. Tighten the jam nut around the stem ever so slightly to see if that will stop the leak. To each their own, but I do not shut off my gas at the sediment bowl. Until it shows that the float is hanging up and gas is running out the carb, I leave it alone as I think that consistently exercising them wears them out and makes them more prone to leak. But as I said, to each their own....gobble

I would connect a rubber gas hose to shut off.
Put the hose in a gas can and drain the tank.
cvphoto129709.jpg

Replace the sediment bowl.
Install a 12v inline solenoid.
Never worry about turning gas on and off.
Finding out you forgot to turn the gas off and finding all the gas it the pole barn floor is an expensive mistake which happens more often the older you get..

If it's just a very very small seep (a drop or two an hour), sometimes you can just open it up and quit using it (leave it on), and it will quit over time. Basically is what it'll do, is tar up and seal where it was leaking. Not the RIGHT way to fix it. But considering that you just recently started shutting it off/having the problem, it was probably like this before, and you busted loose the tar and gunk that prevented it from leaking before, when you started using it.
Of course, if it's leaking worse than this (several drops a minute, or a stream), this will not work. It's simply leaking to much gas for evaporation to do any good.

I usually dis-able a tractor in some other way (other than shutting gas off), if I'm worried about theft of the machine.

just tighten the nut that holds the packing a little it will make turning the valve on and of a little harder but will stop the leak

If the packing nut on the valve stem is able to turn a half turn without too much force, that will stop the leak. Shutting off the fuel at the tank is very recommended to reduce the chance of fire and fuel leakage. if the nut is already tight to a stop, a 2 inch piece of fuel rated Teflon sealing tape twisted into a string can be wrapped around the shaft (under the nut, not outside of it) to create more packing (if 2 is too long, reduce the amount as needed. don't give up. New sediment bowles are often less well made than the originals. Jim

I don't see the shutting it off all the time. The fuel in the tank is worth more than the tractors are these days. Steal the fuel leave the tractor. So to speak. I'm so glad of the last election. We leave the fuel on oon the H and never shut it off ever. Not even when I haul it.

thanks for the replies.

I'll start with tightening the nut.

not near the tractor so I cannot just run out and try it.

Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back