Improving on one of my first projects

Lanse

Hey guys!!

So, last spring you all helped me come up with a really simple design for a steel rack for my old truck. It just goes into the hitch reviever and supports lengths of steel dangling over the back of the tailgate, and it worked out really well. It was fun to make, and once I learned how to pass a bend test at school, it was the first project that I ever welded open root stick on. Good memories, its also the project I bought my Makita chop saw for which I still use almost daily.

Anyway, that truck (96 Silverado) was a money pit and after it killed a fuel pump, we decided to sell it, and traded it on a slightly newer one. Boy does that thing drain the tool fund every month.

Regardless, I no longer need the steel rack, the new truck has an 8' bed and with the tailgate down, a 10" length of steel doesn't even go over the edge of said tailgate. I love it!!

So, Ive decided to sell it. Ill make up a waiver that says its for "Offroad" use only (wink, wink) and try my luck with the local craigslist I guess. Im going to clean up the spatter that I left when I made it (learned not to do that now), round off some corners with the plasma, and give it a half decent paint job too.

But you guys also taught me what a gusset is and why they're important and how much strength they add, so I made like 5 of them for this thing and welded them in.

I think it turned out really well, even tho I really wish I'd removed a little more of the rust that was on the steel I used on 2 of those gussets. I bought a big sheet of 1/8" diamond tread from a friend of mine that scraps for like $20 or something last spring and Im still making crap out of it, best purchase ever lol.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank yall for the education Im sort of getting off this forum and everything you guys teach/show me. I really appreciate it, I dont know where I'd be or what Id be doing there if it weren't for you guys!!

Oh, and enjoy the video :)
gusset1.png

gusset2.png

video1
<object width="853" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb4H38oR65A?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Mb4H38oR65A?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="853" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Are you sure you want to get rid of that thing? Keep it, and build a headache rack for behind the cab, and you can carry 20-feet long material.

Or build a lumber rack for that 2011 pickup. I through this one together out of scrap I had laying around for my little 2x4 hauler. Box tube is 16-GA material. I carry 20-feet long material on it all the time.

Lanse, you are really coming along with this welding/fabricating. I think you like to be an instructor. Ever think of that? Good Luck. Dave

I like it man!!

Yeah, I think I wanna find a new home for it. The
2011 doesnt even have a hitch on it yet!! lol.

Thanks man!!

I liken helping people learn as much as I can through my videos, but I dunno if I could teach an actual class, haha. I try, thanks for watching :)

Lanse, you don't need to know it all to teach others; you just need to know the part of your subject you're teaching, and know it backwards and forwards. Then you have to have the heart of a teacher; you have to be able to express yourself in a way that isn't over the head of your slowest student, while not dumbing it down TOO much and boring your brightest student.

I think you could do it, and do it well. Look into the colleges around you, and seek out one that turns out some quality vocational teachers. THEN look for a vocational school/community college whose credits will transfer to the first college. The community college will generally teach you well; the welding training I had there was by a retired pipeline welder, and he did know the subject backwards and forwards.

When I went to the community college and got my associates degree in automotive management, my intention was to follow that up at the 4-year school, transferring in basic credits and then becoming a vocational teacher. But my age [57] plus the fact that one of the two accredited automotive courses in the area was shut down by the very community college where I graduated, and suddenly there wasn't a market for me, at a time when I was considered old to retrain.

But you're still young,and you can avoid that. I'm invested in my area, with a home that's nearly paid for and other ties. You, OTOH, are young and have few ties to keep you from moving wherever a teaching job may be. So I say, GO FOR IT!!!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back