International 340 diesel utility

mudgrip

New User
hey guys super new here but this looks like the place to ask questions. i just bought a 340 diesel utillity and im trying to fig out what year it is for parts all i can see on the tag is 10700 D Y. i tryd searching and im confused bc it says that it never went that high.

Just a wild guess, you looked at the serial list for the Farmall 340. The Farmall list didn't go to 10700. For the 340 Utility, 10700 was built in 1961.

Generally, part changes are listed in the book with a serial number break. Knowing the year doesn't matter.

Its a 1962. Go to the left and click on serial numbers- then International and finally I-340. Farmall numbers are less than International.

any idea what the Y mean? i assume the D is diesel but im just making assumptions. this is my first 340 diesel.

1961, but the diesel model is scarce and few were made. they are a nice little engine. designed from the 282. i heard like maybe 500 diesels,
but no guarantee on that.
this would be the guys to try for parts. FP SMITH parts and equipment, deal in new OEM parts. 1-800-558-7228.

A tractor is not like a car in that you need a year manufactured to buy parts. For the most part a 340(as in most tractors) is a 3 40. However there some differences that are made during a production run. You
need a SERIAL NUMBER to determine the Serial number breaks.Look at the column on the left side of the page,follow the prompts.There is a casting date code on the major castings. It will look something like
this: 11*14*Y. (November 14,1953.)Letter designates year. Count up from Y to determine year.You just dont tell the parts guy you have a 1960 340. You tell him you have a 340,serial number....Lots of times
however,a SN is not even needed

thanks for all the advice so far. i think the tractor will run. i had to pull the head bc it had some mud dobers in there and wouldnt actually turn all the way over by hand. i will be putting new gaskets in it and slapping it back together and see what happens. the roosamaster pump looks good but its been sitting 20 years so im sure that next

thats crazy if only 500ish were made bc the auction i bought this at there were 5 others.. i think 10 gas 340's and 10 or more gas 240's.

(quoted from post at 22:50:59 11/01/22) thats crazy if only 500ish were made bc the auction i bought this at there were 5 others.. i think 10 gas 340's and 10 or more gas 240's.

Out of curiosity, did they bring decent money, or were they all basket case machines?

(quoted from post at 20:03:35 11/01/22)
(quoted from post at 22:50:59 11/01/22) thats crazy if only 500ish were made bc the auction i bought this at there were 5 others.. i think 10 gas 340's and 10 or more gas 240's.

Out of curiosity, did they bring decent money, or were they all basket case machines?

A better question is: What auction was this and how was this not public knowledge? 15+/- IH 340's and 10+/- IH 240's, plus who knows what other red iron. That would be buzzworthy in the IH community.

ok so they were mostly all none running or basket cases. complete but been sitting outside for 20 years.. there were upwards of 165 farmalls and international at the sale. basically from a cub to a 460 utility. tons and tons of cubs and H's and M's and all the f's some looked like they could run with very minimal work some had 14'' trees grown through the drawbars..it was really sad in my opinion bc i think alot of those rigs were bought when they ran and just parked. kinda like my 340. i havent got it running yet but i think it will run and drive. the sale was by Mendon Illinois. and if anyone wants to take the time to go look just got to sullivan auctioneers and go to auction results and find the lyle gooding auction about 3 weeks ago. bc you can see everything there was and what it brought. which was for the most part scrap price. sorry for the long post but hopefully that helps. o

This post was edited by mudgrip on 11/05/2022 at 05:59 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back