Its not a tractor,,but,,,a nice old IH pickup

larry@stinescorner

The wife went in the store,,I stayed in the parking lot with Walter

A young fellow pulled in with an old IH pickup

Nice young man,,asked him if I could take a few picks

He said,,its a survivor,,all original no repaint,,,and Original 6 cyd and drivetrain
cvphoto119340.jpg

cvphoto119341.jpg

cvphoto119342.jpg

cvphoto119343.jpg

(quoted from post at 17:46:41 03/05/22) The wife went in the store,,I stayed in the parking lot with Walter

A young fellow pulled in with an old IH pickup

Nice young man,,asked him if I could take a few picks

He said,,its a survivor,,all original no repaint,,,and Original 6 cyd and drivetrain

That sure is a well preserved survivor. R series built from 53 to 55. Same grille as my R160 gravel truck. Likely got the SD 220 engine in it.

Looking good. A common rust out area was just under the park lights on the L and R series trucks from the early fifties. They had a real dirt catcher on the back of that panel that the tires would throw mud into and it just rusted. Mine are good but its possible they have been repaired by a previous owner.

mvphoto88884.jpg

Back in July of 1980 I pulled a 1961 IH pickup from Norfolk VA. to here in MO. In IN. one of the rear wheels came off due to the axle nut coming off. Had I known Geo in IN back then maybe I could have got his help. I was towing it with a tow bar behind a 1969 Dodge Charger. The pickup had the 194 4 cylinder engine and 3 on the floor. It would not go fast but it sure did have the pull power

My uncle bought a new IH 1951 1 ton,used it for years back about 1990 he said he was going to scrap it,so I bought it from him for $50.Couple years ago an IH collector found out about it so I sold it to him for $50 and he is restoring it now.

I think those IH wheels are a different bolt pattern than a GM. That truck also looks like it might be a 3/4 ton based on the full floating rear axle, with which GM used an 8 bolt wheel. Those 6 bolt GM wheel you have will fit many diffetent GMs, they are worth some good money.

Ben

Might pull a chebby or dorf. Would not pull a Chevrolet or Ford. Personally I have never seen a : Chebby or Dorf .

(quoted from post at 06:14:34 03/06/22) I think those IH wheels are a different bolt pattern than a GM. That truck also looks like it might be a 3/4 ton based on the full floating rear axle, with which GM used an 8 bolt wheel. Those 6 bolt GM wheel you have will fit many diffetent GMs, they are worth some good money.

Ben
Yes, you can see the insignia on the side below the name International. R120 was heavier than a half ton. The big wheels and tires are a giveaway on that point too. I wonder if they are original wheels.
I see in my old photo that my brother's slightly older L120 also has the six bolt wheels.
mvphoto88896.jpg

It could look like this one stored in my old shop.
But I like it in it's work clothes.
I store this one for a friend.
cvphoto119381.jpg

cvphoto119382.jpg

cvphoto119383.jpg

40 years ago, I heard a joke about what is the difference between a certain type of undesirable woman (wont say it here) and an IH pickup. The answer was, No one wants to be seen with an IH pickup! 2 weeks later, he was driving a Chevy pickup. To this day, I still dont know if it was something I said.

(quoted from post at 07:05:12 03/06/22) It could look like this one stored in my old shop.
But I like it in it's work clothes.
I store this one for a friend.

Thats a real nice R110. Must be late in the series as it has the big back window (no split).

When I was a kid, neighbor had an old IH pickup. Living in the rust belt, the iron worms eat the cab mounts. When he got in an accident the cab went flying off the frame..

That truck looks like it's never been on a salty road..

I remember seeing 60-70s Ford trucks eaten by iron worms. Cab mounts rusted off, cab dropped and the gear shifter on the steering column wouldn't work. A tenant had a ford that he couldn't haul anything in the bed, Iron worms.

I know a man who cut the frame on an IH truck and made the bed into a trailer. Replaced axle with a square tube axle. Made a nice trailer until the Iron worms eat holes to the bed, fenders fell off, tailgate eaten too. That was my first trailer. I gave it to a farmer to use in his farm..

Don't see too many old cars or trucks in my hood..

fun and thx. a nice restoration too. i still have a '52 l-160 that i used way back. it's rusty but quite solid. i'd replaced the bed and added a pto dump hoist. went through 2 junk yard engines and now it sits awaiting my imagined attentions. probably not gonna happen but i get inspired when i see the lovely results. i've often threatened to make it electric. i'd made a hybrid drive for my old toyota 'wanderlust' rv in the 90s ... a stump puller for hauling boats up launch ramps. too many projects.

Would have been nice to have known you back in July of 1980. I pulled an IH truck behind my Dodge charge and in your area a rear wheel/hub came off of it on the interstate. Wasn't a fun fix having to drive into town and find a new nut to be able to put the hub/wheel back on

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back