JD 2440 with JD 146 Loader - Hydraulic problem

horton99

New User
I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on what to check. The short story is the hydraulic lines were swapped with new lines and now the Front end loader does not work. Neither lift nor bucket.

The long story:
I have a JD 2440 with JD 146 Loader. It's only used occasionally and alternator went out years ago and finally starter went out so I decided to get some maintenance done. I'm decent with electrical but mechanical I'm not that great. The starter was really a bear to get the bolts out so I hired a guy to come replace alternator, starter and replace hydraulic hoses since it has sat outside for about 15 years. All the parts were pulled off on a Sunday afternoon and I ordered replacement parts that night. Took the hoses to a local hose place on Monday. It was the following weekend before we got back to replacement, during that week we got quite a bit of rain and I did not think about the hydraulic ports getting water in them. Starter went back on but I was missing the pulley from the alternator that had been hauled away for scrap so this meant I couldn't start the tractor after the hoses went back on. After locating a pulley, I put the alternator on and started the tractor, and now the loader does not work. It will be awhile until I can get my mechanic back to look at it so I'm trying to determine the problem.

When I run the tractor the 3pt lift seems to work fine. The loader lift will go up just a bit when I rock the hand control lever but it seems to be opposite of the way it should be. Push forward, lift goes up. When I pull back the lift does nothing. All the hoses on the bucket and lift appear to be correct, they were marked with color-coded zip ties before removal and they all match. I'm wondering if the hoses from the loader hand valve back to the tractor hydraulic pump might be reversed. I have posted some video and pictures at the link below if anyone would be willing to take a look and give me an opinion.

Not a bad thing to toss away the old alternator pulley . The alternator pulley and coolant pump/fan may look good however they are worn .
Tightening the belt enough to prevent slippage on worm pulleys will shorten the life of the alternator and coolant pump bearings .
Replace the coolant ASAP as the corrosion inhibitor will be depleted and the wet sleeves will be rotting away .
There are at least two hoses mixed up in location .
Is the oil supply and return from the SCV at the back of the tractor ? If so that just adds to other other problems .

(quoted from post at 10:08:16 07/25/20)
It would not allow me to post a shared link to amazon photos but I can PM it or email

Welcome to YT
On this discussion forum PM's are disabled & in order to utilize email member must open their email box. Are you posting utilizing Modern or Classic view? On Modern view locate your "profile box'' at near top RH of this page,open your profile & click on always show email. Note your email address will only be displayed to you & site moderator. On Classic "insert you email address" in appropriate box when posting

Maybe the photo below will help you with your hyd hose attachment problem. Pressure hose on control valve goes in orifice marked "in or inlet or P"

mvphoto59084.png

Thank you for the reply. I think I'm good on the hose going up to the bucket cyclinders. There are 2 connections that go down to the pump. The hose marked "IN" at the hand controls goes down and Tees into a hose that goes from the pump up to the SCV(? I think that's the right term). The other hose marked "OUT" goes back and connect into the pump a little further back and higher.

I'm thinking I may just swap the disconnects on those and try it. After I make sure the pressure is released.

Pressure hose for FEL "in port" tees in behind priority valve on lower trans case close behind hyd filter cover. Return to ported hyd filter cover. See photo below.

mvphoto59163.png

Looking at that diagram, I think mine is hooked up correctly. Wish I could figure out how to post pics.

Everytime I upload a photo and link it, it rejects and says I have violated some policy and refuses to go on.

(quoted from post at 16:33:02 07/26/20)
Thank you for the reply. I think I'm good on the hose going up to the bucket cyclinders. There are 2 connections that go down to the pump. The hose marked "IN" at the hand controls goes down and Tees into a hose that goes from the pump up to the SCV(? I think that's the right term). The other hose marked "OUT" goes back and connect into the pump a little further back and higher.

I'm thinking I may just swap the disconnects on those and try it. After I make sure the pressure is released.

I am trying to figure out what you mean by connected to the pump.
There is a low pressure 165psi transmission pump that operates the PTO clutch/Brake if so equipped. Also operates the hydraulic high/low clutch pack/gearset if option with such. Supplies lube oil to the transmission bearings .
The extra 3-4gpm from the transmission pump is supposed to be pushed up to the front high pressure 2250psi pump, oil cooler, oil reserve tank. If the reserve tank fills up, the excess flows back to the transmission sump.
The front 13gpm or 23 gpm pump operates the power steering, SCV, loader and rock shaft.
If some clueless person plumbed return oil from the loader straight into the transmission case . Instead of to a ported transmission oil filter cover . The front pump will run dry when high demand loads such as loaders, hydraulic motors, backhoes, log splitters are used.
The transmission pump without the assistance of a ported filter cover can not keep up with the front pump for more than a few seconds. The loader will shudder and move slowly.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back