JD 60 v belt

jd2cyl

Working on my 1956 JD60 and am trying to find the correct belt length. Parts book lists 2 different numbers, the longest says
it is 46.27 Tryed that and I don't have enough movement on the generator to secure it to the strap. The tractor does have
factory PS. Seems like some time ago this was a thread but I can't find it.

Thanks, Russ

Appears to be dependent on serial number, not whether it has PS or not, these are Gates numbers

cvphoto167877.jpg

Tried the string trick yesterday and came up with a measurement less than the given length for the correct belt. Going to try that again. Best I can figure is with the serial number break pulley dimensions changed requiring a different belt size. I also have a 1953 60 so I will try checking pulley size differences.
Do you remember what length belt you ended with?

Thanks, Russ

I am aware of the serial number break for the different lengths. I have a 60 from the older serial numbers and this one with PS from the later numbers. Best I can figure there is difference in pulley sizes somewhere causing the need for a longer belt than called out on this tractor.

Don't recall the length I bought. I measured the max and min center distances between the pulleys and added the half circumferences. Picked a length that was about in the middle.

(quoted from post at 08:29:50 12/04/23) The early 60's used a wider belt. A
carryover from the A.

I was wondering if they were measuring a wide pulley then wondering why a narrow belt was too long , type of thing .

I've been out to the barn this morning checking things out. What I found so far is the pre serial number break pulleys are
all half inch width. Verified this on my oldest tractor. The pulleys on the post serial number break use a 3/8 width pulley, verified on my later tractor.
Pulley diameters are all the same the best I can measure. My assumption from here is that the belt A4287R for s/n prior to
6013899 is 1/2 inch width and the belt A4897R is 3/8 width. When you look either belt up everyone shows both being 1/2 inch
width. Going to bite the bullet and order one from Deere and see what size shows up.
Thanks, Russ

I've been out to the barn this morning checking things out. What I found so far is the pre serial number break pulleys are
all half inch width. Verified this on my oldest tractor. The pulleys on the post serial number break use a 3/8 width pulley, verified on my later tractor.
Pulley diameters are all the same the best I can measure. My assumption from here is that the belt A4287R for s/n prior to
6013899 is 1/2 inch width and the belt A4897R is 3/8 width. when you look either belt up everyone shows both being 1/2 inch
width. Going to bite the bullet and order one from Deere and see what size shows up.
Thanks, Russ

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back