John Deere 45

Chuck1225

New User
O.K. Guys.. Lets see if I can get everything in one post. (please note, some of this has been copied from my thread over on The Combine Forum.) :D
I am in the process of getting ahold of a 1960-1965 John Deere model 45 combine. It has sat out by the road at a scrap yard for the past two years or so. Fixing it up and restoring it is my hope, someday. Right now, though, I am concentrating on getting the combine and getting it into running, operating condition. I am (hopefully) becoming a member of the Michiana Two-Cylinder club, and so I can take it to shows and things with the rest of the club.. My uncle helped the PO work on it.. Then he got into money troubles and had to sell it to the scrap yard where I found it. It ran and drove into the yard under its own power, and had, not long before, cut beans. The yard owner and I have come to an agreement where I work Saturdays doing odd jobs and repairing lawn-mowers for him, and I'll pay him cash a little at a time.. My father calls me crazy, but heck, I just think the thing is down-right cool. Besides, you don't see many around these days, that is for sure.

I stopped by the yard one night on my way home from work and got the serial/model number.
Combine S/N: 45-31812
Engine model: HC 145-6
Engine S/N: 1450-4036372

I plan on makin' her real pretty.. I'll keep you guys updated on it here, though this thread will probably move reeeeeeeally slowly.. For awhile, anyway. Once I get it, I get the feeling parts won't be cheap, so I'll be doing more scrap-yard hunting for a parts machine or two.. My weekends will probably be filled with doing what someone once told me in reference to working on classic cars:

"Son, when you have a lot of time and no money, or a little time and no money, here is what you do:
1. Choose a part.
2. Remove said part from vehicle.
3. repair part as needed. (Or replace. If replace, skip step 4.)
4. Clean part, and if possible or necessary, paint part.
5. Reinstall part.
6. See step one.."

I want this combine to- when I'm done with it -look like it just rolled off the showroom floor.

Once it is in my driveway and I know it runs and moves, what would be the order that you would check stuff out in? The urge to pick up a paint gun right away is strong.. But I must resist.

I think I've officially been bit hard by the rusty iron bug, ha! I asked for manuals and paint for my birthday.

PLENTY OF PICTURES!!!
c51641.jpg

I'm assuming that you would be storing it indoors so it will not deteriorate any further. Here would be my plan.

First get it running well so that you won't have to mess with the engine again while you are looking at other things. Then make sure that the transmission and related parts are up to snuff. Everything that doesn't have to do with the threshing needs to be brought up to speed.

Then engage the main drive and start checking bearings. Go though each threshing step and look at what you have. Once the bearings are good check all of the auger flighting and feeder house. I wouldn't worry about the threshing cylinder and whether parts need replaced. If it has cut recently they should be fine. You aren't making a living with it - it is just for hobby.

Very last I would be replacing reel slats and checking belts and chains. If it has been sitting out the belts will have suffered, but they age no matter what so putting them on too soon doesn't make sense.

Paint it last.

Looks like a nice old "Hi-Lo" 45. Good luck with it. It is nice to see imps.saved and restored. clint

(quoted from post at 11:53:18 07/18/13) I'm assuming that you would be storing it indoors so it will not deteriorate any further. Here would be my plan.

First get it running well so that you won't have to mess with the engine again while you are looking at other things. Then make sure that the transmission and related parts are up to snuff. Everything that doesn't have to do with the threshing needs to be brought up to speed.

Then engage the main drive and start checking bearings. Go though each threshing step and look at what you have. Once the bearings are good check all of the auger flighting and feeder house. I wouldn't worry about the threshing cylinder and whether parts need replaced. If it has cut recently they should be fine. You aren't making a living with it - it is just for hobby.

Very last I would be replacing reel slats and checking belts and chains. If it has been sitting out the belts will have suffered, but they age no matter what so putting them on too soon doesn't make sense.

Paint it last.

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't paint it at all. You will never get a paint job like the factory did as they used magnetically charged particles or dip painted it. Pretty son the new will start to chip and peel and it will look worse than before. Just rub it down with something to bring back a little shine, it looks good as it is.

(quoted from post at 16:01:15 07/18/13) I wouldn't paint it at all. You will never get a paint job like the factory did as they used magnetically charged particles or dip painted it. Pretty son the new will start to chip and peel and it will look worse than before. Just rub it down with something to bring back a little shine, it looks good as it is.

I might do that.. I'm not sure yet. I'll look at it better when I get it home. I'd hate to leave the auger rusty as it is.. Still, it won't be painted for quite awhile, IF I decide to paint it.

(quoted from post at 05:14:17 07/19/13) If you straight combine beans or wheat it will take the paint or rust off the auger anyway.
That is true.. I don't know how much combining I'l do with it, but I'll look into it all.

I'd like to drive it home from the yard eventually, as I don't have a trailer.. There's only one belt I have to worry about, right? I figure, if one belt is all it is, I might sav up and get one to have, just in case. The belts don't look THAT bad at the moment, though, so I might just try to make do.

I had a 45 roundback and my largest complaints were the flat drive belt that would slip in tough going even if adjusted properly. The disc brakes were totally worthless. It was still a good enough machine for hobby farming level land. Good luck.
deereford

I'd like to drive it home from the yard eventually, as I don't have a trailer.. There's only one belt I have to worry about, right? I figure, if one belt is all it is, I might sav up and get one to have, just in case.

If I'm not mistaken, I think there are two of those large V-belts that drive the transmission, in addition to the large flat belt that runs the separator.

Hey Chuck... I bought a 55 Roundback last year for the motor and corn head. It was complete when I bought it, so I might have a lot of the parts you might be interested in, including belts. Let me know. I need parts that fit on my squareback, but anything else you can have.

Brad

(quoted from post at 18:04:47 07/21/13)
Hey Chuck... I bought a 55 Roundback last year for the motor and corn head. It was complete when I bought it, so I might have a lot of the parts you might be interested in, including belts. Let me know. I need parts that fit on my squareback, but anything else you can have.

Brad

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind!!

I just bought a jd 95 and im looking for the auger tube that bolts to the grain bin. my combine still has the flat belt and the tube is straight , no angle in the first section.906 399 1566 is my # if anyone has one.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back