John deere Bailer question on getting access to slip disk

stevenmhardy

New User
I have question thought I would see if someone knew answer to it.

I am adding some pictures, but I removed all bolts and springs for slip disk but I can't get the PTO shaft off of the slip disk I thought maybe that thing in center that's hollow was a pin but i can't tap it out, I could drill it out, but I am not even sure if that's pin holding it on.

there two black t pin I think their shear pins not sure they seem to be lose but you can't pull them out and if you do, they don't pop back in I think they're supposed to be spring on them that pulls them or holds them into position if so that does not seem to work.

but I cant see to be ablet o slide that PTO arm off of the slip disk the green part on front.

IMG_3708.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
That little round hollow thing is a split pin or spring pin. Drive it out and the green collar will let it all come apart when it comes off the shaft.. It appears one side of the collar is thinner than the other. Put it back the same way and install the pin.

That little round hollow thing is a split pin or spring pin. Drive it out and the green collar will let it all come apart when it comes off the shaft.. It appears one side of the collar is thinner than the other. Put it back the same way and install the pin.
i was curies about that thing, I thought might be but was not sure, its hollow both ends look like been mushroomed out.

I'll try pound it out using a punch that fits up to the heads, but I think the thing might be to wedge in to get out so maybe I'll have to drill it out and get a new one?

Its certainly wedged in, thats how they’re made to work. But with the right size punch it’ll come out. If you do have to drill it, remember that roll pins are hardened steel.

Its certainly wedged in, thats how they’re made to work. But with the right size punch it’ll come out. If you do have to drill it, remember that roll pins are hardened steel.
I don't have right punch for it had make what i had work i ended up using blow torch and flat head screwdriver i super-heated the outside sense it is a diff metal, so it expanded at lower heat rating then that steel pin and then i just kind of tapped it out with screwdriver

Correct size roll-pin punch makes removing/installing roll-pins so much easier. Mayhew is one company that makes a good roll-pin punch. Drive out roll-pin, slide retaining collar off of shaft then remove slip clutch components.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-11 071141.png
    Screenshot 2024-06-11 071141.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 13
Correct size roll-pin punch makes removing/installing roll-pins so much easier. Mayhew is one company that makes a good roll-pin punch. Drive out roll-pin, slide retaining collar off of shaft then remove slip clutch components.
yah after i got it out i ended up going to store none of the tappers, I call them tappers my I inherited the site from my dad and he got them form his dad, so I call them tappers because that's what, my grandfather and his machines at the paper mill in nekoosa called them, anyways I didnt have right size one in set, so i just did the heat trick at time, putting it back in I went down to local hardware store in town and got a 3/8th flat round one that worked perfectly for it.

I got fixed tension bar on it next, we bought thing used couple years ago and i just noticed that the tenison bar that roates the rake with dogs is bent off set, so seems that the bolt is straight but nut and bolt little to longer, so im going use some washer fill in space and lock washer to hold nut in place at end.

necie was raking the hay and she I have old 8 foot rake wheel barrow rake and she double up tripple up my hay rows and then jammed up the bailer when she went to try to pick it up I was out and about at time.

the two bolts in the back i ended up loosening them almost as much as i can, to accommodate the larger wind row but I tryed to brake them rows in hay by running rake back over them but didnt have alot of luck with that.

my thought is to try to go slow as slow can and see if i can bail stuff without binding machine up or ill have to go along and start stop and pitch fork hay in smaller amounts.

I thought about renting a small round bailer just to deal with it for now but no ones around me is renting them.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back