Kal-Equip Model R-11 Dwell Tach

Steve in IL

I?ve got an old dwell tach that has had the leads/clips cut off the wire (see photo). Any tips on how to know which one is pos, and which one is neg? Also, does anyone have the manual? I?m recalling that they?re pretty easy to use, but I can?t recall how to deal with 4 & 3 cylinder engines. Do you just divide the 8 or 6 cylinder numbers in half?
cvphoto4569.jpg

cvphoto4570.jpg

I had two meters that looked like that, one was tach./dwell the other was volts and maybe amps. They were from Mac tools but looked just like tours.
I traded them for something? over thirty years ago.

Trying to remember how to connect it, I think ground the black, red to the distributor side of the coil.

Try it, if the needle pulls down, it's backward. It would probably need to be reversed for positive ground.

As for the 4 cylinder mode, look at the scale markings, I think the 8 cylinder is marked off for 4 cylinder also. You could apply the same estimated position using the 6 cylinder mode for 3 cylinder.

If I remember right the switch only changes the way the tach reads. I still have my old Snap On, but it s never been used in this century.

i had one like it but it was from napa. red goes to plus side of distributor, black to ground. i always grounded to the air cleaner hold down bolt. for 4 cyl, divide 8 cyl in half. never had a 3 cyl gasser.

J. Schwiebert, if you will look at he leads, one will be smooth, the other will have small parallel ribs molded into the insulation.

If you like, you could reply which one is red, which is black.

Hello Steve in IL,

Just a thought! Take an Ohm meter and see if one of the cut off leads will give a zero reading against the case. That would be the ground. I would think that the positive would have no reading,

Guido.

Steve, I have five different types of those meters (including that one)along with the timing light and remote start switch.
I just looked at mine and the ribbed is red and smooth is black. I also have the manuals.

I actually have three copies of, "Operating manual and automotive tune up guides". It contains of all ten of the KAL equip co., test equipment tools, and how to use them. My email should be open, drop me your address and I mail one out Monday if you want.

I actually have three copies of, "Operating manual and automotive tune up guides". It contains of all ten of the KAL equip co., test equipment tools, and how to use them. My email should be open, drop me your address and I mail one out Monday if you want.
Hi,
Any chance that you still have the KAL Equip R-11 manual? I’m in dire need of a copy.
Cheers,
Gerry

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back