Kind of like Just Another Old Geezer problem.

JDseller

Just Another Old Geezer's posting made me remember one pulled on me a few years ago. There is a hundred acre farm just a half mile down the road from me. Between myself and my Grand father we had rented the farm for over thirty years. Never miss a rent payment and treated the ground just like our own. Keep the fences repaired, water ways mowed, The gates all working etc. Like I stated just like we owned it. Kept the fertility level up too.

A woman owns it. She is about my age but has not lived in on the farm for years. She lives in town but always liked coming out the the farm and complimented us on how good we kept the place.

Local BTO some how talked her into renting to him. He offered her a big rent. She just sent us notice in Sept. saying we did not have the farm for the next year. I went and talked to her about it and she just was fixated on the big rent she was going to get. This was four years ago.

So the BTO started farming it. The first thing to go was the gates and fences. He would just take his loader and push them into a pile of wood/wire/gates. He has to have real wide gates to get his equipment through. There is not a water way left. He has plowed out every one of them. This last fall when we got that big four inch rain they all washed out four feet deep. He just had them all pushed out and billed the old lady owner for the repair. There is not one good fence left as he just drives where ever he wants and if the fence is in his way it gets cut. The trees are falling out into the land and he just shoves them back. The whole place looks like he!!. He has not had any lime or fertilizer applied this year as it is the last on his contract. He just put on anhydrous. He does this all of the time he never leaves any fertility in any farm he is thrown off of.

The current owner came to me last fall to see if I wanted the farm back. I quoted her a price that was about 75% of what I had been giving. She could not understand how come it was worth so much less than it was. I told her I could not run any cattle on her farm now and that made there be a lot of wasted acres. She said the BTO had cut her rent too as he was paying her for just the acres he could grow grain on. She did not know about the tore out fences. I took her on a ride around her farm. She was crying after just a few minutes. She does not know what to do. She needs the rental income but it is going to cost a bunch of money to fix and repair things to the level they where four years ago.

I just got the soil test back and sent them to her with a copy of the ones I had run the fall before we quit the farm. The P and K levels are half what they where.

I would not mind having the land back but it is not worth what it was a few years ago. She now knows that any of the BTO are not going to maintain her farm like she wants. So how do you be fair about the rent. The farm is worth less due to her actions. I can't pay a big rent and then fix the place up on top of that. I was paying her $300 per acre on the tillable ground and a $100 for the pasture. He came in and offered $400 for the ground did not mention the pasture. He paid her the $400 for all the acres the first year. Then he just paid her for the tillable gound he farmed. He left out any pasture and small fields he could not turn a 36 row planter around in. So her actual rent is now below what I was giving her four years ago. Her lawyer is an idoit too he did not get a written contract between her and the BTO. So she has little recourse against him. She says one thing and he another. I don't even think I can make a profit at the rents I was paying. It is going to take time and money to fix the fences and gates. I am thinking of renting it for the old price but she has to pay for all of the materials to repair the fences and gates. I would provide the labor and machinery to rebuild the fences. I also want a ten year contract. With damages if She want out before the end. It is going to take a lot of work to get things straighten out.

Side note. The BTO had his finisher break the frame right in front of my house yeaterday. It chewed up a hundred feet of road before his dope head son could get stopped. The BTO had the nerve to come and ask me to weld it for him. I told him I would charge $250 per hour with the first hour paid bfore I moved out of the shop. (He is a known cheat) He stomped out cussing me. I told him the minmum just went up. I also called the county road dept.They sent out a man right then. The BTO is going to have to pay for the road to be repaired. The BTO came back about an hour later to have me fix it. It took me two hours to get it straighten out, re-welded, and re-enforced. He paid me cash and stomped out again. LMAO His hired hand let it slip that no else would come out to fix it for him. He owes all of the local dealers old repair bills. He is trading equipment over a hundred miles away now.

Wow... what a piece of work. Drives me crazy cause guys that make every BTO look like the Devil. We farm 4500 acres where I work and I'm proud to say the father son partnership they run is NOTHING like that. They dont rent ground out from under people and theyre very respectful of the ladnd cause duh its in their best interest to! I wouldnt be caught dead working for an a-hole like you described. I hope you and the landowner can work it all out.

I would think if she paid for the materials to get things back in shape that would be a place to start. Sad thing is, the world is full of people like him. Stan

Wel have several BTO's here that are as good as they come but we have others that leave a lot to be desired. One was renting some land from an old guy living in assisted living for years. Never told the old guy that rental rates went up. When his son took over his affairs the son check for going rates and found that the BTO had been cheating him. Now a friend is renting it for a fair price and the BTO got messed over twice. Once for not having the ground and the 2nd time because the land borderes his and now he has to drive a mile out of his way to access another field.

Rick

I had a kind of same story. I rented a farm with land and barns and very little fence. I paid a fair price. Not high, not low. but more than it was worth. Owner grew up there, had it given to him and after 20 years of borrowing against it, moved 250 miles away to get a job. There was 2 nice buildings he had full of junk so I put up fence to make pastures useable,but isolated those buildings so the cattle wouldn"t bother them, put up lot fences around barns and shoved acres of fallen tree limbs into piles and burnt them. Only one water line left on the place working, so I borrowed a backhoe from a friend of the landowner and fixed 2 hydrants and buried a new stretch. After 2 years he tells me the rent needs to go up since I got the place fixed up. I had made the place useable but still far from fixed up. I told him what I was willing to pay and If he got somebody that would pay more I would up and leave so he was sure to get more. I didn"t want to be in the way of his big payday. Well he spread the word that it was available. 2 BTOs were over right away. They only wanted the farm land. That was about 60% of the money I was giving him. A high school kid came out and threw some big numbers around. I clued him in that all the stuff in the yard came with me and it was leaving with me and the 2 nice buildings are full of owners junk. He looked at me and says, It sure aint worth much then.

After about 2 years af trying to get another renter, he come whining that his metro accountant says he needs to gross more. I told him she was probably right but it wasn"t gonna be from me. I told him to make those other 2 buildings available and do a little more water line work and I would pay more.Told me no. Told him again if he finds someone else to rent, I will up and go. No resistance from me. Next he puts a ad in the metro paper with big price. Had a couple groups of metro people come check it out. Most offered him about half what he was asking. Usually he would call when he was gonna drive out but one night out of the blue in early Oct he pulls in with a truck and skidloader and starts cleaning out the 2 sheds. Says he needs to sell by the end of the year. I made him a offer then on what I would be willing to pay. He stared at me with a tinge of anger like I had insulted him.

Finally on Dec. 20 after 5 years of renting he calls me and says he had a offer for $6000 more than I offered but he wanted to give me a final chance. I told him I would match that. I think he was sincere but I will never know.

Now I no longer want to deal with absentee landlords. If they don"t live right next to it. I aint interested. To much room for here-say when the distance between them and the land gets too big. The landlords I have now have all came to me. One is absentee yet. It is a piece of grassland and I keep in the back of my mind that I could lose it any day and it really wouldn"t bother me.

I agree there are some A@#h@#$ farming today.
Your proposal sounds fair to me particularly if you have all the needed equipment.
There is a benefit here--the landowner now knows that the money isn"t everything and I"ll bet you won"t have to worry about her changing renters because they will pay more.

I think you're being fair with the landowner, the fact that you feel bad about her having to deal with the ramifications of her decision says a lot about your character. She however made some decisions that turned out to be poor ones, she needs to live with those decisions. I'd say work with her, be open about how much time and money you are spending to maintain or improve her property. I think you're right on the price now that the farm has been de-valued. Go for a long term contract with her but also sit down with her and have her identify what is important to HER in the care and repair of the farm. Can she afford to take less rent and have you build back up what has been run down? Stretching out the repairs over 5 or 10 years might make the bitter pill she is swallowing a little easier. I'd go for a longer contract and identify milestones for things to be repaired and rates to go back up as things are returned to the previous condition. Also if you have a good year it might not hurt to throw her a thing or two off her list & buy some good will. If you do fix her problems she might be less willing to look somewhere else to rent, make her understand your are in this together and instill a partner attitude in your relationship.

Mark is right, However you should also know that BTO is generally considered a derogatory or disparaging term. What is BTO ? That is anyone that farms more than you or pays higher cash rents for farm land.

I am sorry but to he11 with that old woman! Unless I could get a lease as long as I wanted the ground I would not turn a tap. If a few bucks turned her head the first time especially knowing how well you took care of her interest, it would do it again. I have no sympathy for greed..

(quoted from post at 17:06:06 04/12/12) I am sorry but to he11 with that old woman! Unless I could get a lease as long as I wanted the ground I would not turn a tap. If a few bucks turned her head the first time especially knowing how well you took care of her interest, it would do it again. I have no sympathy for greed..

Yep...... Fix it all up and see how quick it happens again...........
If it's that bad and you have to do the work and input to get it back to where it was when you were paying $XX for it, tell her you'll still pay the same for XX years lease. That lump = $xx - whatever it costs you to get it back there (or wherever you want it) including what you think is fair on labor. That's what she'd get. She chumped you once so she's not worth any favors....

That's just me and my people skills....

That's quite a story, but not that unusual. I have had much better luck with my tenants, both of whom are big operators. You really need to check out the reputation of a prospective tenant, both as a farmer and a businessman, before leasing. Your former landlady learned a hard lesson, but I can't be too sympathetic towards her. She wrote off her longstanding partnership with a good tenant (you) for the promise of a little more money.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back