Kubota M7040 vs. JD 5403 vs. NH TN75A

Anonymous-0

Hi! I have narrowed down my tractor choices to a Kubota M7040 (with MFWD and hydraulic shuttle), a John Deere 5403 (with MFWD), or a New Holland TN-75A (with FWD and 16x16 power shuttle transmission). Does anyone have any experiences or know of any pros/cons with any of these tractors? I have checked out each of these tractors and have gotten fairly similarly priced quotes between the 3 with the NH being the highest. I am wanting this tractor so that I can make hay on about 5 acres of the land and bush hog another few acres. Ideally I"m trying to find a tractor that both my wife and I can easily handle which is why the synchronized gears (granted within a range only) is kinda nice to have. But the biggest thing I"m wanting is something that is reliable and if something does break, I want to be able to find parts easily well into the future. I know the 5403 has been redesigned this year with the SyncShuttle so I don"t know if that should cause me to steer away from JD to make sure they have the bugs worked out. I know the Kubota is fairly new but in doing searches for tractors, I don"t find many out there (especially used ones) so I don"t know if not many are sold or if no one wants to sell their Kubotas. I would appreciate anyone"s feedback, opinions, etc on any or all of these tractors.

Thanks!

Aaron

The major design features of the New Holland have been around since 1999 and to some degree, before that. Most owners of TN tractors are very satisfied. The TN/A you describe is definitely a higher spec'ed tractor than the Deere. If price is a concern, try matching options/equipment closer between the Deere and NH. I am not familiar with that Kubota model/series.

The M7040 is a part of a relatively new series replacing the M6800,M8200,M9000,M105,M110 and M120's.All of the old series have been extremly reliable,fuel efficient,value holding and user friendly tractors.I'm fairly sure Kubota wouldn't change somthins successfull without being very sure that they were replacing it with somthing customers would be equally satisfied with.

Also look at CaseIH JX1075C (same as the NH in red paint)

The 5403 is now fully synchro if fwa (2wd only sync shuttle, speed gears unsync'd) The 5403 is not the same class as the other two tractors, it better be a hell of a lot cheaper. A 5420 would be the Deere to compare with feature wise (power shuttle)

I've looked at the 5403 (fwa with 522 loader) Looked like a decent little tractor, keep in mind the shifters are on the right, where the Kubota and NH have the left hand shuttle, much easier for loader work if you'll be equipping one. Can almost buy a brand new one for what a used something else is....

If you don't mind, what prices were you quoted?

The 40 series Kubotas are brand new. The 7040 is basically a new 6800 if you want a comparison. Nice light utility tractor that's good on fuel. Never owned a 6800 but had one on loan from my dealer for a couple hundred hours. A hair light in the front for a 1400lb bush hog even with a loader on and heavier lift arms would be nice.

The 5403 I'd stay away from based on the 3 speed transmission alone. 4 in a range is barely enough. 8 speeds in low range is nice. It's also made in India from what I hear, which is a few steps down on Japan for the Kub. Don't know where the TN is made.

Don't know much firsthand about the TN, but judging from the specs it's wider, longer, and heavier than the 7040. 3pt hitch capacity and hydraulic flow is greater as well. Front tire floatation is about a draw, with the edge probably going to the TN (12.4/20 vs 9.4/24 for the 7040) with the stock tires. If the 7040 is the same as the 6800 though, it has a REALLY nice wide radial option that's dirt cheap from the factory, which gives it a large advantage for loader work or lesser compaction in soft conditions.

Depending on the price differential, it looks like the TN is more tractor, especially if you'll be working with heavier implements and doing ground engaging work.

Any experience/knowledge on which dealer is better? I bought my first new tractor (Kubota M9000) based on price, and the next two new ones from the same dealer based on service (the best part being free loaner tractors if I ran short). Your mileage with Orange may differ, but I've never had my local Case or New Holland dealer offer me free tractor time before, and I've got 4 Case/IH tractors and a Ford as well.

Both my local John Deere and Kubota stores have a highly rated service department. Personally I have experience first-hand with the JD service department and have nothing but good things to say about them. Ultimately I'm trying to find a good tractor that is easy for my wife to use so that when she has to do some work with it, she doesn't get tired having to change directions and shift gears or in other words, the less clutching she has to do, the better. Yesterday I saw a Massey Ferguson 3635 that had a clutch button on the gear shift (vs. having to depress the clutch pedal) but I had a couple of friends that didn't have good luck with MF's so I'm inclined to stay away from them although that is a nice feature.

Next weekend, I'm planning to get to the stores again to test drive the tractors with my wife (assuming the weather ever decides to cooperate :)). Does anyone know how the hydraulic shuttle works on the 7040? I know it has the lever to switch from forward to reverse without clutching. But how does the changing of gears work? I know the dealer said that you can change gears on the fly but I didn't think to ask at the time if that was without or with the use of the clutch.

Kubota is the obvious choice here. I am in no way a fan of the 6800 but mainly because of the dry clutch and the snyc shuttle. The M7040 has that solved with a hydraulic shuttle and clutch. I"ve actually driven 2 Kubota"s and sat on many more. The 6800 which is my neighbours is a bad tractor in my opinion. The snycshuttle is nice while it works but after that it"s a pain in the arse. The clutch isn"t the best either although he is a little hard on that clutch. He"s replaced the clutch at about 1000 hours . It now has about 1200 hours and it"s getting worn already. Right to the point that the wheels will stop spinning while pushing snow into a pile in 2nd High. It starts real nice even at -10 C. That tractor has alot of trouble in the snow although it is AWESOME in mud. One really nice thing is the Snyc transmission Our 6030 on the other hand is still on it"s first clutch with over 3800 hours on it. It"s good in snow and OK in mud. The shuttle in mechanical which I do not mind because it"s nicer than reaching foward. It does not have a snyc transmission except between 3rd and 4th The only thing that that really affects is shifting from 3rd to 2nd. You can shift all the other gears alright. Most of the snow is pushed with this tactor in either 1,2, or 3rd gear and it never has a problem. I tend to shift over slipping the clutch a whole lot. It still starts good but it"s nice to plug it in. Starting was greatly improved after we replaced the 10 year old battery. Go for the 7040. Won"t regret it.

I don't know a whole lot about any of them at this point because I haven't kept up on their particular specs over the last couple of years.
That said, I'd take a hard look at the specs and compare based on the features you're getting VS the price you're paying. The Deere you're looking at I'm reasonably certain is a bare back model made off shore. The Kubota and NH can no doubt be spec'd from bare bones to the very high end, so watch that very closely...
It sounds to me like you're leanign towards the top end anyway, so the deere is probably out unless you look at a 5x30 (I think they're into the 30 series now, if not it's a 20 series...). That will undoubtedly result in a much higher price.
I'm really at the point now where the color of the paint doesn't mean a thing on the new ones anymore, so buy the features and service you need at a price you can absorb.

Rod

7040 shifts just like any other 4 speed. Push pedal, shift, release pedal. The lever controls the clutch for forward/neutral/reverse shifting in the same gear only. If you're worried about clutching get her to test something with an IVT. Think skidoo transmission in a tractor. No gears at all. They're common in compact utility tractors and available in larger tractors. Can't think of one offhand in the 70hp light utility tractor area though. If you want to get her a nice toy, look at the John Deere 6230 Premium (75hp) with the IVT. Price difference between that and anything else you've mentioned here will scare you though.

I own a 2001 TN75S FWD 16x16 PST, basically same tractor, except for the super steer, just older. I run a Vermeer TM800 mower and a Case 8465A round baler. The TN75 runs both of these with ease. If I were to buy again I would buy the model you are looking at. The super steer is something that I really don't need. Overall I am pleased with the performance and reliabilty.

I"d not be affraid of the Massey 3600 series. It is Sisu powered,and the same basic tractor that Cararro builds for Deere as the 5020 series for Europe.

I have a NH TN75A and love it. Had it 2 years really used it and no problems. It's a very strong tractor and maintenance has been relatively easy. When I bought I looked at Kubota and JD. Traded in a 36hp Kubota.

I do recommend the extra fuel tank as the main tank is small.

You are not really comparing apples to apples here. The JD 03 series is kind of their economy line whereas the TN with the 16 speed power shuttle is more deluxe. Did you choose the 5403 just to keep the prices the same? Similarly equipped the JD will run the same or more than NH and Kubota.
I know you said you had some hesitation about considering MF, but if you want completely clutchless shifting in that size utility tractor the MF 5400 series is the only line I know of that offers it. It has a powershift for both the 4 ranges and 4 speeds in each range as well as power reversing. I think it's called the Dyna-4.

As someone else advised, just be sure you"re doing an equal comparison when you say the prices are about the same. Be sure all the options and features are the same, right down to the tires(radial vs bias) or at least the features you need.

The TN 75 won't fit a set of chains front what I can see but they have the best transmission option of the three. The 7040 is available with dry and wet clutch options. The wet clutch is packaged with a reverser for clutchless reversing which is nice for loader work.

The US doesn't get the nice R1W option we get in Canada, but they pay about half the price for a Kubota than we do. Note to Kubota, get serious about your pricing up here. The TN 75 is really more comparable to a Kubota 8540 since the 7040 is only like 62 pto hp. Big frame size jump for the Kubotas at that point.

The JD is a price point tractor, the Kubota MX5000 would be comparable I think. The the JD model is a basic cheap tractor, I'm not a fan of the transmission, try one and you'll see why.

I have 2 Tn75's FWA. One is a 2005 mech. trans (8x8) other 2007 deluxe electro over hydralic shuttle shift. Old one has better loader, no electronics. New one has 30 mph tranny, more gears (16x16) fat radial tires, almost disturbing how much traction. Found the comparable Kubota a little light in back end for packing silage bales but will probable last for ever. The new tn75 has had a lot of wiring problems(battery blew up first week, tells me to get off and read owners manual, gages, dash are abit strange) I though Lucas wiring( Prince of darkness)was done with. Both are excellent loader/ chore tractors and when you drop the loaders off you can not beat them for light field work/ haying. They are too small for heavy disking/ Hay mowing(NH 1410 rotary with Flail Conditioner)but raking/baling and brushcutting etc, excellent. A cheap John Deere? DO they even make one?

Beware of the Massey 3600 series, especially with the 12x12 transmission with power shuttle. I've had nothing but problems with this tractor. I think there has been more problems out there with these tractors than what the public is being told. Has anyone else had major problems with a 3635 4wd.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back