Looking for my first small Farmall

Olympus

New User
Hey everyone, new member here. I'm looking to get my first small Farmall tractor. I already have a newer 40hp diesel tractor with 4wd and a loader, so I'm not really looking to do any specific jobs with the Farmall. But my Gpa had always been a buyer and sell of old tractors and I got hooked on the Farmalls more than any of the other manufacturers. I'm really looking to pick something that doesn't need too much work, but still has a few little things that I can work on myself. My Gpa is almost 80 now and he can't do a lot, but I would like to be able to have him come over and "help" me with some little repairs as needed. Plus I have a 5 year old son who is just in love with all things tractor, so I thought it would be cool to have a small Farmall that he could "help" work on to and also be able to drive around the yard (with supervision of course).

I had originally decided that I wanted a Super C, and I think that's still my first choice, but I thought about my property has some hills and I'm not sure what the stability is like on a tricycle front end tractor. I definitely would not want to let my 5 year old be in a position to roll a tractor. So maybe someone can help me with some experience as to stability on hillsides with a Super C. With my current tractor, it's absolutely no problem at all. My son drives it with me all around the property just fine. So my second thought was maybe an A or a Super A since they don't have the trike setup. I don't really want to go with a Cub because those tractors seem to be a dime a dozen in my area and I was hoping for something a little less common.

But basically something that I could do some minor repairs to, get repainted, and have a nice looking little tractor that we can play around with on my property and drive around the subdivision. Maybe something that my son could drive in parades when he gets a little bigger, stuff like that. But I'm eager to learn as much as I can from everyone here!

Some will probably disagree with me, but in my opinion the stability of a tractor on a hillside has more to do with the height of the center of gravity. I am not convinced that a
tractor with tricycle front wheels is any easier to flip over due to the wide front axle being hinged. That being said, the Super C would have a higher center of gravity than a
Super A.

I definitely agree with you and if the OP is really concerned that a tricycle C would flip over on the hill, I wouldn't trust a wide front C on them either. My grandfather mowed some very steep hills, for many years with a super A extended out as far as it would go and it never flipped.

If the hills really give you concern, I would go for a lower to the ground utility-type tractor, especially if a 5-year-old is going to be driving it. There are plenty of utility IH tractors that are far from a dime a dozen.

Ag colleges have done studies and that assumption is correct, it's all about center of gravity. Narrow fronts are not more succeptable to tipping than wide fronts. The wf pivot point allows the same flexibility as a narrow front does. However, if you add weight to change the tractors center of gravity all bets are off.

If this is just a toy for you, and you have a 5 year old interested, suggest a B or BN. Relatively small, but with
the engine being center mounted, and the driver off to the right, a second buddy seat (and maybe a fake steering
wheel) can be easily retrofitted to the left side. They're also lower to the ground.

Any tractor will be dangerous in the wrong hands. When you feel he's ready, teach him, not only how to drive it, but
all the things NOT to do with it. Although a toy for you, this is a ton or more of iron, and not 30 pounds of
plastic. They're not safety approved kid toys.

I'd like to see the reports from those studies since it is completely opposite from what we concluded in our ag engineering studies. The higher pivot point of a wide axle compared to a narrow front has the same effect as lowering the center of gravity. There's simply no way around the physics that prove this regardless of what people want to believe.

Get a B or BN they sit low and are wide and balanced. Ten times less prone to rollover. My grandkids love mine. The B also has a flat platform for their feet to be on.And you can add a Buddy platform and seat.

Letter series is the easiest and simplest to work on. A ton of parts are out there from multiple suppliers..They are also the easiest to aquire,and most affordable. Often can be had for under a thousand dollars.Cub;A;B;C are good choices. An H or M are good choices,but bigger and harder to haul.Thecommon misconception that a wide is safer than a narrow is false,an opltice illusion.Any tractor is more prone to tip than an automobile,at much slower speeds.
If it's too steep for a narrow,it's too steep for a wide. They are both what is considered '3 point suspension'. Meaning you basicly have a triangle. However,the pivot point on he wide is approximately 2 ft higher off the ground. It still tips.The offset A is more tippy on the left side.when you buy that tractor,first thing is to buy a set of books. Owners manual;service manual. A parts manual is also good. especially good for ordering parts.Let that 5 yo drive it around the yard in first,at an idle with you closely superviseing. Gladually give more freedom,only after he fully understands. You might think about a way to disable with a key so he cant jump on and try to drive with you not present. Be safe. Good luck and Happy tractoring.

Thanks for all the information so far. I'm definitely looking at the A, Super A, and Super C. I want something big enough that both of us can use it. I don't want something so small that it's not comfortable for me also. And I definitely would not be turning him loose on anything. He's 5 years old and he had his first 50cc ATV on his 3rd birthday and he go this first 50cc dirt bike on his 5th birthday. He is very good for his age on driving things and he understands and respects limits and instructions.

Where you located? I have an excellent Fast-Hitch Super C for sale in s.w. Pa. A Super C is very user friendly. Stay away from the off-center As etc, they are too easy to tip.

I'm a LONG way from PA. Thanks for the offer though. There is a Super C with a Fast Hitch local to me that looks in "ok" shape. The owner replaced the timing gear, head gasket, and new points and is asking $2000.

mvphoto54184.jpg

mvphoto54185.jpg

mvphoto54186.jpg

mvphoto54187.jpg

Offset A series are tippy? Not hardly. They're counterweighted to account for the offset, and you can set either side as wide or as narrow as you want. Tippy at narrowest setting (meant only for certain row crop applications)? Sure. Tippy with a reasonable stance adjustment? Nah.

(quoted from post at 17:52:14 05/05/20) Have you considered a 300 utility. Low to the ground and safe. Plus power steering on most models.

Really only interested in the letter series.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back