Massey Ferguson 135 two stage clutch question

tonychatham

New User
First time posting here but I have been reading and gained so much knowledge since I first found this place. Thanks for that!

On to my question. I have recently split my 135 and upon putting everything back together inside the front of the transmission I have noticed that when I turn the input shaft there is a loud click about every 1/4 rotation. I wasn t sure if this was normal or not and most people I have talked to said they didn t know. I don t remember it doing it prior to disassembly, but turned it to make sure everything still spun as I was putting it back together. Do any of you know if they normally do this and if not, what may have popped off inside the transmission? If it s normal I will proceed with reassembly, but if not I would rather fix it now. Thanks in advance.

(quoted from post at 15:25:06 02/21/23)
I think now is the time to open it back up and look.

Sorry I worded it so poorly that you misunderstood but BEFORE I proceed with putting it together I was checking. In other words it isn t put back together yet. I heard the clicking and I stopped to ask a question instead of being ignorant to the situation and just putting it together without asking people who may know for sure one way or another, which obviously I don t. Appreciate your input.

It MIGHT be the one way jaw clutch on the Multi Power low side, you can also faintly hear the clicking with engine idling when in Hi MP with the main clutch engaged.

(reply to post at 16:53:04 02/21/23)

That was exactly what I was thinking is it sounded like a spring loaded tab or something that stopped it from reversing. It definitely doesn t turn backwards when it clicks, but just before it does it will rotate backwards about the same 1/4 turn. I didn t tear the transmission apart - just put new input bearing a and seals while I was in there fixing the rear main. Appreciate the response!!!

This post was edited by tonychatham on 02/21/2023 at 04:07 pm.

Dieseltec has it, as usual. I changed a tire on my MF 65 last summer and when I rotated the tire, I could hear the MP low side dog clutch.

Thank you sir. Good to know. You don t know unless you ask. I had never heard it before but I am pretty sure at this point that you guys are correct! Much appreciated!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back