Maternal Grand Father farming!!!

JD Seller

I miss posted this over on the tool forum. Old had a picture of an air compressor that my Grand Father had one just like it. I don"t know why today is getting to me. Been short tempered all day. Going to go outside be by myself for a while. Can"t stand myself LOL

My maternal Grand Father farmed a 100 acre farm. He milked 25 cows and sold the milk in cans. He had ten sows that he farrowed twice each year out on a grass pasture with little huts. Fattened up all the feeder pigs and sold the fat hogs. Smoked and cured one for the cellar. HE feed any bull calves out and killed one for the freezer each year. Had an acre of fruit trees that are still there. Sold apples, pears, and peaches in town.
His only tractor was a Ferguson TO-30 he bought new in 1953. HE had a three bottom 12 inch plow, a six foot three point Dearborn disk, a set of two row rear mount cultivators, a Dearborn/Ferguson sickle bar mower( that was a killer to put on), a three point Ferguson hay rake, a John Deere 246 corn planter, a one row Woods brothers corn picker, a John Deere 300 elevator, and two Sears and Roebuck wagon gears with flat beds and removable side boards. That was all of his equipment.
He raised twenty acres of corn. Twenty acres of Oats, that he walked and seeded with a hand crank seeder. ( I still have it and seeded my daughter"s yard with it just this fall), Twenty acres of glover/timothy hay, Twenty acres of wheat, hand seeded too(cash crop and wanted the extra straw), twenty acres of permanent pasture for the milk cows.
He raised a family of three daughters and paid for the farm on that 100 acres. He bought that farm in 1934 when he was twenty years old. He gave three hundred dollars for it. He borrowed two hounded dollars from his dad. It had no buildings on it. There was a small woods. He cut logs and had the lumber sawed to built the barn and house. He married in 1937 after he finished the house. My Grand Mother was a cook in town until they married. When they moved into the house they only had twelve dollars to their name. He owned a team of horses, ten milk cows and ten sows. They bought three hundred chickens the first year to raise and sell as meat. Kept twenty for layers. Sold cream and eggs to earn cash. Was deferred out of WW II as he was farming. Doubled his milk herd and sows during the war.
He died in 1976. He turned sixty-two and was going to retire. He had a major heart attack in early August he lived through it and came home to the farm in mid-September. I was twenty-six and was doing all of the livestock chores. On the afternoon of the twentieth of September I helped him walk the farm and look everything over. He had to pet and visit his milk cows in the pasture. It really tired him out. I had to about carry him back to the house. He wanted to sit on the porch swing. He could look out over the farm from there. I went to start evening chores. When My Grand Mother came to get him for supper he was gone. He was setting in that swing with his eyes closed and a smile on his face. I remember it like it happened yesterday. My Grand Mother set down next to him and told him how she was going to miss him. THAT moment showed me what love was all about.
His funeral was the largest that the local funeral had ever had. When the day of the burial came. The first cars where at the family cemetery while the last where leaving the church. That was a string of cars two miles long!!!
He left: Three daughters, sixteen grand kids, two great grand kids. Plus a whole lot of memories.
Just remembered. His first Social security check came two days after the funeral. I remember thinking it was wrong that Grand Mother had to send it back. He never drew one cent of what he paid in. My Grand mother only drew $89.00 a mouth when she retired the next year.

Just hang onto those beautiful memories . I never got to know my Grampas . My moms Dad was the greatest . I do have pics of him holding me at age 2 before he died . And I was able to buy their old homestead they built in 1914 .So as we get older & loose touch with our sibblings & our kids , memories is all we have . Thanks for sharing your memories of loved ones . God bless

Nice story. I thought it was going to be a bunch of pictures that would take forever on dial up. Glad I clicked on it now.
I'd live that way today if it was economically feasible.

Nice story. Sounds like a good man, all around. Be really tough to do that today, the profit margins just aren't there anymore.

Wonderful story. Sounds a lot like my childhood with my grandparents. Where is the farm? Is it still there or has it been swollowed up? I bet you wish you could relive your childhood. I do. To say that is the greatest compliment you can give your parents. Keep the memories alive.

I really enjoyed the story. I am sure there is more to tell. Please do as much as you feel comfortable.
We had a TO-30 also.

Wonderful that he got to go the way he wanted. and the opportunity to have you to take him around the farm for one more round.
And also for God to let you know what true love and peace is as he was taken with that smile on his face. Love to hear endings like that.

Great story, its so sad that those days are gone! Look at the way we live now.?? Thanks for posting about something so real and important. Nowadays everyone just walks around with a I Phone glued to there hand. J

Were those cows Jerseys? I only ask because the amount of crops he had for cattle feed would never feed 20 holsteins.

I grew up on my granfather's 160 acre farm in Northern Calif. It was the greatest part of my life I tell stories about it all the time. It was a great time in the early forties and fifties.
Thank you for reminding me. Maybe sometime I will tell of one of my early episodes. Like the time we camped on a river beach and woke up to mountain lion tracts all around me.
Walt

That was a beautiful story almost hard to keep a dry eye on the walk around the farm.It's wonderful that you have such great memories of your Grandparents.Thank you kindly for sharing.
Tony

what a tribute! great story you told. those were simpler times, though the ones living through them would probably have disagreed at the time.

Yes, he had a few Jerseys most where Guernseys. He like how even tempered the Guernseys where. He thought that they gave more milk than the Jerseys and still had a good butter fat. The Jerseys where my Grand Mothers. She liked them better. She milked seven cows and then watched the milk strainer while Grand Father milked eighteen.
That man had a grip like a vise. He would try to get us boys to shake hands with him. He would have you begging to get let lose.

We do own the farm now. I was not able to buy it when my Grand Mother sold it. Four kids and another farm to pay for. In 1998 we where able to buy the farm back. We gave $2600 per acre for it, $260,000 total. He gave $300 for it total in 1934 and Grand Mother sold it for $900 per acre, $90,000, in 1977.

My oldest son lives on the farm now. The house is still there. We did add an addition on it when we bought the farm. The addition is bigger than the original house. It cost way more too.

The original house cost my grandfather $282.00 of boughten supplies. He had the logs from the farm. He worked as an off barer at the saw mill to pay for the sawing of the lumber. He traded labor with a Great Uncle, who was a carpenter, to have it built. They had to drill all of the nail holes. The white oak he had sawed, had seasoned by the time they got to build the house. He did insulate the house. They used "rock wool". He had storm windows installed too. My Grand Mother said that they could heat the house and do all of the cooking on six 100 lbs. propane tanks a year. He even had a bathroom with running hot and cold water. Wind mill pumped the water into a tank in the attic. The hot water was heated buy the cook stove in the kitchen. The wind mill was taken off of another farm that had gotten city water. They used a Delco electric set for lights. It is still in the back of the cellar shed. It still runs. We light the patio in the summer with it. just for novelty.

Yes, Guernsey cows were nice. Bigger than Jersey and gave more milk with relatively high butterfat. Milking by hand will make your forearms and hands strong for sure. We never had to do that. Not since 1914 anyway. That's when my grandfather installed his first milking machine.

Sounds like the decent honest hard working folk that build America, Canada and the "West".
Unfortunately his heritage is being eroded by those who feel entitled to a high standard of living for free. And by the politicians that tax the working person to support voting free-loaders.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back