Me and these darned 'chucks LOL !

Billy NY

Since as long as I can remember, woodchucks have been a persistent pain in the you know what on this hill, good and bad, you just can't get rid of them around here. I've always said, they as a species certainly don't bother me, for some strange reason, its just how it is, and I've shot my share of them, trapped and relocated many of them too where they won't bother anyone. I've even made friends with one, for 8 years and I enjoyed every bit of having him around, he was truly a faithful old friend, that never bothered much at all, more entertaining than not, he "woody" was just something else, its a story and memory I'll never forget. On saturday afternoons, you could set your watch by his arrival on the front porch, and one afternoon, he came right to the door, stood up and folded his arms, as if to say, where the heck are you, you're late ! Its because of that and I hate a tyrant, a bully, always look at it from the reverse angle, how would I like to be on the other end of it, when dealing with them. I'll still do what I must, but I do try and work around them, but they sure don't give up, friend or foe, and I've experienced both.

So I see one just moved in under my woodshed, and I just happened to watch her pass, then came a young one, and I heard that whistle, sounds like a bird. Well I just can't have that under the shed, so I got a leg trap, placed 2z4's on edge to make a funnel, even tossed a few packs of firecrackers under there, no go she would not come out even with the noised and smoke, no hole yet, she just started today. While I was working I heard it go off,the trap and she was whistling. I took the high road, got the welders gloves on, pulled her out, painstakingly got that trap off her leg and got her into a steel garbage can you see in the photo, she'll go to an abandoned field tomorrow, one far enough away from anyone else to bother, I would not do that otherwise, luckily I have a good drop off point.

I caught one in a tree,(see photos) was face to face, it was not happy, but I put some leaves on the end of a stick, darned thing was like, give me that, and bring some more, I'm not sure who's nuts here or what, me feeding a woodchuck while in a tree, over my corn patch or what. Guess I'd better get the field cut, they have too much cover !

So here's some photos, one in the can, one in the tree and my good buddy "Woody", you know he used to keep the others out and I never had any around the house, not sure what in heck happened, but I'm going to put a scope on the 22 WMR, and take a few once the field is cut, smoke bombs next if they keep pressuring me, I've just never seen so many, 2 years back I got rid of 7, some lived, some did not. There are times when I can do something nice, but the havahart trap, meticulously set was not working they're wise to it. That leg grab was only on for a few minutes and I've handled dozens of them with thick gloves on, so I know how they are, have to clinch them behind the head, around the shoulders, and under the arms and they will submit, but never trust or let up on that grip, or put yourself in danger, I had to pull her out too, the trap was too close to the hole, she was dug in and anchored. I did have a .22 on me, in case it was not going my way, thankfully it did and I feel better that way, sometimes its the other way around, but I do try my best knowing if the roles were reversed someone would give me a break. I checked her leg, might be bruised but, not broke or any visible damage, so as much as I hate those traps, right size is not bad if you can get to them soon. I was nearby and knew I would be. That young one will be on it in the am I am sure, 2 went in there, but one came out. I saw scat moved out from under the shed, she did that while I was taking the trap off, they are good housekeepers, the young one moved it out,trademark habit and it was not there before. Another way to tell they are around is the flies that follow them, tell tale sign one is nearby or hidden close to you, those flies are a dead give away.
a159648.jpg

a159649.jpg

a159650.jpg

a159651.jpg

I was getting fed up with the damage that their holes were causing around my place last year so I shot three of them. I have been totally amazed this year that there has not been a single one around here.

We had one take up home under a shed again this year. Mother-in-law (she lives across the drive from us) gets upset if I even mention shooting one or even trapping and relocating it. This year, we got several different heritage tomato plants from a neighbor to try. Last night, m-i-l said groundhogs ate every one right to the ground. She watched them do it so sure it was not a rabbit. Now with adult and 6 youngsters, m-i-l said I should shoot them! Wish she would make up her mind. (I tried with a 22 rifle after supper and even got to 3 feet from one, and missed!

Great photos, Billy. Especially the last one... they are actually kind of adorable as far as vermin go.

We eliminate them here too, if they become pesky. We seem to have some that just venture over from the neighbors place where they have much more ground-cover. They don't seem to bother anything - but if they begin tunneling-in, then they have to go.

I didn't know they would climb a tree... learn something everyday here. :)

Woody, was something else, he used to fight off any others that came around, heard them under the porch, he was missing a finger and that's how I could tell it was him all those years. He would roam the hillside, and he stayed in other dens sometimes, and believe it or not brought the wife and kids up here, right up to where you see him on the front step, they did not like me when I offered food, left and never saw either of those again, but woody always came around. He sure was different.

Excellent climbers, some are not aware of that, he could climb anywhere in this tree, I had to climb up and get some photos.

I've been fair about it, but I know the population is heavy, so I have to be aware. Finally got a roll of fence for the lower garden, but I will skirt it with something just in case, as long as the adjacent field is cut, they will not stay in the open long to dig under it, they are very cautious when on the move and in the open, any obstacle they will go around, but once close to a building or any cover, forget it, they start mining and I just spotted this one new tunnel, fortunately I caught this one, still no sign of the young one, once I know its clear, I'll block off the tunnel but good. She would have loosened a shallow post holding up a roof, can't have that, was prepared to shoot, but the trap worked out and was relatively humane, I rushed to get her leg out. With me, you either kill it humanely or not, I hate wounding with a passion, its mean and uncalled for.

Once they target a garden, bets are off, using the right fence here works fine, they won't stay out in the open long enough to consider breaching it, always on the move. When there was weeds in the gardens, they don't usually bother tomato plants, maybe fruit on them, only when ripe, at least from what I have seen, often times they take down tops of weeds like pigweed, purslane etc. When it gets dry and theres no forage, then its time to watch out, they will take down whatever is lush, fresh and green. Fence and open perimeter around a garden will work around here just fine. I had one living under the back steps inside the upper garden, for weeks, and it took that long before I figured it out, finally took some lettuce down, it was a half @ss den attempt, rocks and such, but he was using it, I caught him in there, no gloves so the trap did catch him, I released 800 yards out on our land, he came back 2x, tail was painted red, I knew it was him, now I drive over to the back side of this tract of land connected to a much larger piece, abandoned fields, just far enough they don't find their way back.

I had several dens in my yard, I cleared out all the firewood stacks, junk and debris accumulated, then fumed them out, buried the holes but good, leg breakers, can't have that, now at least I can keep them at bay, the one in the can has been the first attempt and I was right on it, tough to get a shot on one unless you can sit a long time and wait, they often cross when I was working or standing in the yard unarmed, yesterday I saw an adult and 1 young pass, heard that whistle and it led me right to them.

A really neat story about Woody.

Yep, no wounding around here either. If husband can't get a good shot at a chuck or a skunk, he waits for another opportunity.

There's a passel of woodchucks where I work - it's rural. One of them keeps going underneath my car. I sure hope they don't like to chew up wiring!

I don't know what it is with these guys, I opened the hood of my car one morning to throw the battery switch on, (another story) and there was a woodchuck on top of the engine ! He looked at me and scampered down through the engine compartment and out he went. Its hard to say, what they will chew, one put holes in the cover of my weber grill, Woody tried to take the broom into the den, I was on the other end of it pulling back, what a character he was, like he was going to do some cleaning ?? LOL ! I miss that one, they all have a personality. As a rule they eat lush, supple forage, but may chew on something on occasion, the latter does seem to be a rare occasion though. They don't appear to be overly aggressive, know when to run, but will fight, thats how they lose with dogs. I hate seeing a dog get one of these, seems quick and humane as they don't last long, but that's when they lose, stand their ground, its kind of unfair, in my opinion I don't care for it, clean shot, trap if at all possible, we know better. With a dog around though, they won't come around here, just I'm too close to a main road and too many things to deal with training one, I've opted to not have one anymore.

Where I live in Georgia they are a nuisance. I have jack russell terriers. I have locating collars to put on the dogs and they either bolt them, draw them or hold them till we can dig to them. Terriers love getting to do what they are bred for. Personally, it's a lot of fun for me to see them work.

Sounds like you are doing the best you can to deal with them. I was never fond of leg traps, but you were right there to get it out. A quick kill is better than being in a trap for a long time. Stan

I forgot those, and dachsund's do that ? still a dangerous gig for them. I just hate when people do it for fun, like any 'chuck stands a chance, but thats one way to get one out of a tough place, and they tend to like to live in places like that, and make it hard to get them out, my friend has one of those dogs, interesting and smart little guy he is.

Very true, she seemed to cope with it fine in the short term and that leg is fine today, I have set these and then set them off, knowing I would not be around, I know some will say, to heck with em, no living creature deserves to be tortured, I hate a tyrant and a bully more than a thief and I do my best to be fair and sometimes as I see fit, someone up above rewinds that tape someday, I have no regrets on my conduct with the critters.

Depends on the ground Billy. The hogs can throw up a wall behind them, dig in and start swimming in a new tube in a heartbeat. The dogs can't do that.

But, I guess think about the garden that is getting destroyed, the cow or horse that stepped in the sette with the broken leg or the farmer that lost a couple acres of soybeans.

I prefer them dead too. Favorite is to shoot them with a .22 or a .223 -- They scurry down their burrow, never to be seen again. "Self burying" woodchucks! Got one at 75 yards with a .240 Weatherby, he was standing up sunning himself, probably asleep. Tipped over like a bowling pin. Bullet probably never slowed down.

Trapping, I like to use a live trap with some melon balls placed on the ground underneath. By the time 'chuck figures out they're unreachable, it's too late. Then it's swimming lesson time down at the creek.

They are good tree climbers and will climb if threatened and away from their burrow(s), and yes they will have more than one. Can do a bunch of damage to crops, gardens, building foundations, machinery and long legged animals like cows, horses. Not welcome around here!

I set the live trap like that, banana underneath, maybe it was just this one, but I have not been able to catch a one, and this is the old havahart, where you can adjust the linkages, they butt together, and I had it set just right, things get out of whack with these, but with some tinkering, it seemed just right, caught possum and skunk at night, could not get that darned racoon, those I downright do not like.

I've used 22 LR, .223 and .308, friend even used a 300 win mag, we both set up in a field for a farmer, 400 yd confirmed shots both of us, me with .308 130 gr HP, he with the 300 same H.P., turned him inside out, mine went back down into the hole. Some good shooting in a big alfalfa field. We had livestock here at one time and those holes could not be tolerated, so I learned as a kid they have to be dealt with. It sounds hypocritical to release them when I can, but its either a clean and humane kill or using a trap. I try to be kind when I can, more so than not, but I already know, I've got to get this population down now, I can't save them all. My release spot is a good one, no houses, just unused fields, they were in hay but no more. I did not like their holes in hay fields, does a number on the disc mower blades, when I ran the one my farmer friend had, I memorized where all the holes were, and raised up when near them, left some tall grass so you could go around or raise up, so much ground to cover you just can't get rid of them.

Many times its true, I've had to face it, though I don't like the idea of being in the position to decide what lives and dies, who am I to do that, but with livestock, a garden that provides food, or a home/outbuilding/barn that will be structurally compromised, its justified.

There is a line, and you must do what you have to, I won't work around them when they create such a hazard, at that point, whatever works, humanely, but still...

It was cool to see this one run off, plenty of room for a few in those unused fields, likely to be loaded with them anyway, any unused land around here typically is.

Sweetfeet,
Had a woodchuck start hanging around my place and it became more and more bold in regard to its wandering. Seems they like to chew on fan belts, wiring, and hoses, as in the radiator kind. Had to dispatch the critter.

Oh, no!

Guess I'll have to ask the guy who manages the property to get after it then - because it frequently does go under my car.

Heh. Wait til you have hogs. And sooner or later you will. No real natural predators smaller than a big bear, and you have to wipe out 3/4 of the population every year to keep them in check. Which means NO ONE keeps them in check.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back