MF 180 Creeper Gear

Mike47x

New User
So we have a mf 180 on an international farm that got stuck in low gear. I got it spilt and turns out the shift fork was broken and the rail for the high/low range was bent pretty bad. I'm pretty sure this was caused by a couple of the bolts backing out on the backside of the creeper gear assembly. What is a creeper gear assembly you ask? Well the farm we picked it up from added in a section behind the transmission that gives it an ultra low range. As a result of that the multi-power was tied in the low position and we were advised to NEVER put it in high otherwise it'll destroy the transmission for whatever reason. So my questions are to anyone with experience with these: will using the high range on the multi-power with this creeper gear actually cause damage? If so, I'm wondering if I can just take this whole bit out and go back to factory. The set up of this gear assembly looks like it was made professionally and bought as a bolt on. I just don't see farmer's building something like this. If I can take it out, I have no reference to what factory is so I'm worried. As anyone who has worked on anything before knows it's a lot easier to put something back together that you took apart. I've got the parts in to put it back together, but if we can start using multi-power, that would be the bees knees.

I agree with dieseltech here. Why couldn't it be used in high range. 2 spots exit the rear of the transmission. The main high-low stick pack (not the multi-power) and the lower shaft that drives the pumps. My guess is the creeper kit does something with connecting to that shaft that exits the high-low shifter and runs to the rear drive coupler. If you can I would like to see some pictures of this setup. I wonder how its fits with the platform and all the controls since it is adding space between center housing and transmission.

To add some more context, the brake rods were extended with pieces of rebar welded into them leading me to believe this was done in a shed somewhere, but clearly a farm isn't going to fab up this type of setup.

mvphoto104935.jpg

mvphoto104941.jpg

mvphoto104942.jpg

mvphoto104943.jpg

mvphoto104944.jpg

mvphoto104945.jpg

mvphoto104946.jpg

At least that makes it even more rare. So do you think I can take the extra stuff out and make it a yankee version again, or just put it back together as is, and ignore the warning of never use the multi-power?

Take it out if you don't need it, then make the changes needed for the brakes/clutch rods and floor plate. I wouldn't worry about the MP use if you keep it in if it's not used to pull really heavy loads.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back