MF 245 2 stage clutch with MF 232 Factory Loader

MFnewbie

Good morning all,

I probably should know this, but don't. Is it normal for the loader to stop operating when clutch is depressed. I just installed a nice 232 loader on my Massey Ferguson 245, and was running through the operating functions. I notice the loader stops when the clutch is depressed to shift. I did recently split the tractor to replace rear main seals and inspected the clutch which is almost brand new. Everything went back without problems except the clutch needed a slight adjustment. Anyway, I had an Allied loader on it before, but do not remember it stopping in the "up" loader function, or any other clutch set tractor set up I've ever operated. Any input greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg A. aka MF NEwbie

Just to follow up, (really may be revealing my ignorance) does the pto need to be engaged to correctly operate the remote hydraulics / loader?
Thanks again,
Greg A.

The 2 stage MF clutches I'm familiar with have an adjustment that is done through the access cover.

There are 3 adjustment bolts with jamb nuts that get a .090" clearance between the head and the secondary pressure plate.

With that set correctly, the drive clutch should release first, then the PTO/HYD will release when the clutch pedal is all the way down.

Disengaging the first stage clutch to shift gears should NOT affect the hydraulic pump. Disengaging the second stage stops the PTO and hydraulic pump. If you can't shift gears without stopping the hydraulics, you have an adjustment problem.

I may be mis-remembering this, but it seems that I heard that its possible to install the clutch disc backwards, and that will have the effect you describe. But I agree that adjustment is the first step.

Admittedly, I don't pay enough attention to how far I push the pedal.
I probably am going too far. I will use a little more discipline from now on and see f that is the issue. Thanks Mucho!

Our 65 Massey had two different holes in the clutch linkage, if you weren?t using PTO equipment you could put the pin in the hole that gave it less stroke. Then when the clutch pedal was depressed all the way down you did not disengage the PTO or hydraulics. I agree with Steve if not adjusted properly the two stage function may not work.

Try pushing the clutch pedal with your hand with the tractor not running. It should get harder to push about halfway down, as you get into stage 2 (PTO clutch). You can feel the difference better if you're doing it by hand. I've had them that didn't engage state 2 until right at the bottom of travel, and needed to be adjusted.

And I've had old Olivers that had a separate hand operated lever for the PTO. Best of all! LOL

Update to the issue - It was just me going to far on the clutch pedal. I've been using an IH 454 for the last 1 year and just wasn't use to clutching halfway only for shifting. Everything working as it should.

Thanks again to everyone!

Greg A

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back