MF 50 Generator

Rogerkmf50

New User
My MF 50 gas with a 12 volt generator stopped charging. The Amp gauge works because when the lights are one it goes negative. I had the generator tested by a dealer and it is putting out 14 volts. I put on a new voltage regulator and polarized it per the manual. The Amp gauge will not move above 0. This tractor is negative ground. What do I check next? Roger 513-593-2735

Next simply use a volt meter at bat. 1- off, look for 12 to 12.5 volts. 2- running, look for 1 to 3 volts above not running. Give it a rev before ya panic, Old generators . May need a bit of time to figure out they need to go to work (actually, points in v. reg must close) 3- optional, turn on any headlights and check volts- runniing.. Should hold about what ya got #2. If ok- trouble may be amp meter. If bad, check wiring and or do volt reg tests (ground v reg, ground field, et cetera). You , again, should use known good volt meter. Economy model is OK.

My 50 has a oil pressure switch under dash that makes generator work after oil pressure comes up. Sometimes it takes a minute or so before it starts charging. They all came from factory with this switch.

Thanks. I took the dash off and found a loose wire on the Amp gauge. After tightening the wire, it began to charge, Alleluia! But then I took the tractor for a spin around the barn, and it quit charging again. The wire from Field on the Generator to F on the voltage regulator looks suspicious due to a bad end, although it has continuity, I'm going to replace it today. If that is not it, I'm going to replace the Amp gauge. Roger

Don't assume that just because it is a new regulator that it is in working condition.

Be sure generator belt is snug but not over tight.

Rev engine to check for charge.

Ground the Field post on generator, if it now charges regulator contacts in the regulator box are suspect.

If still no charge, leave ground on Field and jumper Armature post on generator to Bat wire on regulator. If it now charges the cut out in regulator box is not making contact.

The suspect wire was not the issue. Next, I did what rvirgil_KS suggested. Grounding the Field on the Gen did not create a charge. But leaving that jumper in place and jumping the Gen Arm to Regulator Batt, caused it to charge (no alleluia or dancing around this time). I turned the tractor off for 5 minutes and re-started it. It still charged. So, is this a permanent fix or a temporary? Is my regulator bad? Roger

(quoted from post at 18:24:44 02/27/23) The suspect wire was not the issue. Next, I did what rvirgil_KS suggested. Grounding the Field on the Gen did not create a charge. But leaving that jumper in place and jumping the Gen Arm to Regulator Batt, caused it to charge (no alleluia or dancing around this time). I turned the tractor off for 5 minutes and re-started it. It still charged. So, is this a permanent fix or a temporary? Is my regulator bad? Roger

Forgot to mention that when I took both jumpers off and it still continued to charge. Will it continue to charge, or go back to non-charging after I use it for a few days? Roger

Do not leave the jumpers on for very long. If it ceases charging when jumpers removed, from your description it has a problem in the cut out section of regulator.

If you leave jumpers on when you shut it off the battery will discharge through jumper on the cut out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back