Model H re-assembly (fuel petcock, exhaust, flywheel)

WI Dan

Hi again, this is a 1940 John Deere Model H. Getting things put back together!
Questions:
We got the 3-way fuel petcock taken apart. Only broke one brass handle. The large nut is cracked. All seals are toast. Boss man is lapping the tapered pieces for better fit.
1) What do you recommend for re-building? What gaskets? Packing material?

The original exhaust pipe and muffler are long gone. Not sure how to route the exhaust among the fan drive shaft and radiator piping...
2) What do you suggest for re-building?

Muffler: I live in residential, so quieter is better. But I don't want to shell out a fortune for perfection. It's not a showpiece tractor. But maybe it's faster to go for the right part than rebuilding?

The flywheel has a bit of lateral play. It slides in and out at least 1/4".
3) How much lateral movement should we have on the flywheel?

There are instructions from somebody on machining grooves in the taper for O-rings in the valve, just can't find them or remember who. The muffler mounts to the upper
radiator tank. There's a cast piece on the bottom with mounting face and holes, and a hole for the exhaust pipe. Factory muffler is pretty quiet. The flywheel should
have .005 to .010 inch end play. Should be a small pin on the inner face that engages the slot in the flywheel spacer. Sometimes not noticed or broken off.

Mike, -wow! Thank you! This is very helpful.
We were thinking of the same thing with the o-ring groove in the brass. But after running lapping paste and a drill, the scoring is almost completely gone, so we're going to try it as-is.
Muffler search is on. I'm not going for perfect or accurate. Just functional. Hoping to fit a wide diameter to enhance the sound.
Flywheel turned out really good. Thanks for the clearance numbers.
We ran it last night and everything sounded really good!

Not much lung power on the Hs but I always liked the sound and they run a lot faster than the A/Bs. Should be available from a dealer, not sure if there's and
aftermarket available. Glad the flywheel worked out. A lot of horror stories on this forum about flywheels, pulleys and end play.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back