New 4020 project

My son (12) bought a 1969 4020 wide front, syncro, dual hydraulic, no pos traction. He got it at a good price so can do some fixing. We have some questions that we would like to tackle before we tear into it to ensure we do not miss anything.

1. The tractor runs well, but starts hard and smokes blue at the first, I am assuming an overhaul is need, and we would like to put on M&W turbo kit onto it. What overhaul kit should we use and modifications needed to support the extra power.

2. Shifting, going into 5th gear it just grinds, but if we go into reverse and back up it catches 5th gear. Is this an linkage issue or something more in the tranny?

3. When using it the other day, he was riding the clutch and we started getting sparks coming out of the clutch house on the bottom of the tractor. It seems like the throw out bearing is going bad, what else could it be? Should we beef this up too if we add the turbo?

4. 3Pt- This is where we are not JD People so needs some help. The bottom of the tractor where the 3pt hooks up is very loose, has worn pins and very wore. I have different 3pt arms, but what is needed to tighten all that stuff up correctly? Do we need to get inside the tractor to do any of it? IT is ok if we do as we will be cleaning everything. With the 3pt, it also goes up great, but doesn't want to come down until you use other hydraulics. The position lever is in the middle, and we are not sure where that needs to be.

5. PTO, the pto leveler on the right side, grinds a little when pushing it ahead. I have operated other 4020s that never did this, it was always smooth with a snap at when it was engaged. is this linkage or more? If we tear it all apart what should we look at replacing.

6. Steering, when starting steering is slow before it wants to steer, after a couple minutes it steers really tight to the left, but only about 3/4 maybe to the right. I am assuming someone had a narrow front on it, and when the put the wide front on they did not have the steering centered with the front end. Any ideas?

Tires are like new, tins are straight and this is going to be a tractor to be used on the farm cutting hay, baling, hauling manure, but also for play.

ANy help greatly appreciated.

Matt

IMHO

1 Hard starting when cold is probably low compression, hard starting when hot is probably worn pump head. A lot of blow by can be caused by broken rings, not uncommon if hard starting
and using ether. I would look at the turbo conversions that Tim S has done before going the M&W route.

2 Do not know

3. Something is won down to metal.

4 Worn three point indicates a lot of use, they will usually leak hydraulic out the bottom when worn, which will require new load shaft, seals and bushings, not a big job.

5. Do not know

6. Tim S is the expert on these, send him the units, he will rebuild calibrate and return.

If your pto lever is on the right side your tractor is not a 1969. On a 1969 to 1972 the pto is on the dash to the left of your steering wheel. Your hyd and three point controls would be mounted beside the seat. If you made a mistake in your posting and your tractor is a 1969 I would like to know which injection pump it has? There were two different ones. One is about as big as a soda can and the other is the standard bigger Rosa Master pump. The little pumps are known to start hard and smoke blue at idle. Not many shops will work on them as many parts can not be had anymore. It also sounds like your clutch needs attention and you will need to do some work on trans linkage. Get yourself a Deere tech manual. They can be bought on Ebay very reasonable. Good luck with your project and post back as the people here will be glad to help. Tom

(quoted from post at 23:55:27 11/04/18) If your pto lever is on the right side your tractor is not a 1969. On a 1969 to 1972 the pto is on the dash to the left of your steering wheel. Your hyd and three point controls would be mounted beside the seat. If you made a mistake in your posting and your tractor is a 1969 I would like to know which injection pump it has? There were two different ones. One is about as big as a soda can and the other is the standard bigger Rosa Master pump. The little pumps are known to start hard and smoke blue at idle. Not many shops will work on them as many parts can not be had anymore. It also sounds like your clutch needs attention and you will need to do some work on trans linkage. Get yourself a Deere tech manual. They can be bought on Ebay very reasonable. Good luck with your project and post back as the people here will be glad to help. Tom

Tom it is a 1968. Sorry I typed that wrong. Do you have an email I can email you pictures of the pump??

Matt

If you have a 68 you have the good injection pump. The little ones did not come around untill the 69 models (I have seen one 2510 with the little pump). I have two 1968 4020's here one of which Dad bought new. Tom

Sounds like you have a real fixer-upper, a very big project for a twelve year old. You could have several thousand dollars of repairs without touching the engine. If this isn't a labor of love with an unlimited budget, you may want to setup a budget, or add up the costs and set a limit to where you need to cut your losses.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back