New generator transfer switch issues

Bob - MI

Broke down and bought a Briggs and Stratton 12kw standby unit with a 200 amp SE Symphony II transfer switch. Hired an experienced installation electrician and we had a couple of problems.

Most notably the switch won't turn over and bring the generator on line to power the house. We have power from the generator into the switch, good fuses and tight connections. Just won't switch over even after running for almost 10 minutes. We followed the startup directions to test it by simply cutting the breaker to simulate power outage.

Here's the bad part: the electrician threw the switch manually and the generator picked up the load with no problems. Thinking we should test to see if it will disconnect if the power comes back on he threw the breaker and a few seconds after that the control board arced out to the panel which fried the board. This switch has a waiting period when the power comes back on before it will turn over and it seems like it tried to trigger that and poof!

B&S help line was out when we celled on Friday afternoon so I am waiting 'til tomorrow to talk to these folks. Anyone ever run into something like this?

I'm fully prepared to hear them accuse us of faulty wiring and procedures.

Thanks in advance

If you had power on both sides and all was good. Sounds like something was wrong with the control system. Did anyone do anything but a manual transfer. Does this switch have a transfer control switch. That you turn off to do a manual transfer. Sounds like a defective switch if not. Be careful how you talk to them. Many companies today look for any reason. To get out of warranty claims

Billy Bob and Bubba electric messed up the wiring.
The MA-24 works well, sort of semi automatic . http://www.generlink.com/generlink.html

Sounds to me like you have either a claim against the mfg, or one against the electrician. Figuring out which one caused the problem will probably be harder than figuring out what the problem was/is. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back