New North American tractors?

blunosr

Hi, I'm kinda on the fence between getting and restoring a MF135 and getting one of the new tractors. I realize there is a huge money difference, but my new truck is MUCH more reliable, comfortable, capable, etc. than my old truck. I'm not against new things... the only problem I have is that I'd like a tractor that is made in North America, from North American parts.

Is there such a beast? Are any 40-50 HP tractors made domestically anymore?

I would think it would be a huge selling feature for a tractor to be completely domestic (well, even western Europe, ...UK). I'd line up for one.

Thanks, bye for now,

Better bucks will never be spent on a tractor than that MF135. Once it's done, you'll have one that will last you the rest of your life.

Your best bet then would probably be John Deere...I have a 135 and I've been looking at eventually getting a newer tractor so I can have a loader. The deere series i'm taking about is the 5 M..or I was personally looking at a 5325

135's only drawback is the front axle insofar as having a loader and the hydraulics are apparently slow. You could check out the MF tractors...they're made I think in France or Poland and some in India.

Christos

I have a 165 and I love it. The preferred tractor out of 5 that we have. Also much simpler to work on (though I rarely have to work on it).

I think that all diesel engines under 2.0 liter are made in Japan or Korea. Deere starts to make their own at the 2.4 liter size and then up from there. As far as getting a 90% USA made tractor are likely impossible. I bought a new Deere tractor 2 years ago and it is reliable and nice to have for snow/gravel/grass cutting etc. The 4wd is real nice. The 0% interest financing is nice too.

But the motor is a Yanmar, I dont know where the transmission is made, the tires are Carlisle, plastic body panels, I dunno, Steel frame I dunno.

My compact Deere is assembled in the state of Georgia.

The 135 was a fine tractor in it's day. It is just like some of my other toys, just a bit outdated. The biggest problems with the Massey is the hydraulics. They are somewhat primitive.

A new compact will offer a hydrostatic transmisson which is great for loader work. Many of the big name brands also offer a powershuttle which offers the ability to change directions without clutching if you do much heavy drawbar pulling this may be a bit better than the hydro.

The new tractor will also offer much better hydraulics that allow use of the rockshaft and remotes simultaneously. Most also offer a joystick for loader control.

The perkins in the MF is a great engine, but the new tractor will offer somewhat better coldstarts if you live in a cold climate.

It's all in what you want...

The Ferguson hyd. system on a 135 has never been improved upon. Most of the new tractors don't have near the precision control a 135 has. A hydrostatic trans. isn't the best for long sustained pulling. A front pump can be installed for a loader as well as a joystick but you don't need a joystick. I would put the cold starting of my 135 diesel up against any tractor on the market, new or old. Same with fuel economy. I've started it just using the thermo-start at -20C without it being plugged in. A restored 135 will last for another 40 or 50 years. I highly doubt a new tractor today could even hope to get as good a reputation as the 135. New tractors have some more conveniences but they also have a lot more to go wrong on them. Dave

No tractor under 100 HP is made in the states. Some compacts are assembled, but they are basically complete when they come to the US.

Thanks for the enlightening replies. I do have a MF 1080, but I want something smaller as well.

Colekicker said nothing under 100HP is made here, so where are the new tractors made?
JD
MF
NH
Case
Kubota
Kioti

I know there are others, they're just not coming to mind right now...

Thanks,

Troy Boyd

The Deere that is suppose to be made in georgia is only assembled there the engine in msot all are from Mexico go to the dealer and look at the tag on the motor the 5M series is made in mexico just assembled in georgia

My Computor Spyware/Malware program warns that downloading this Link is not advisable as it may contain harmful elements. i thought everything broadcast on this site was filtered and checked.

(quoted from post at 10:16:04 03/11/10) My Computor Spyware/Malware program warns that downloading this Link is not advisable as it may contain harmful elements. i thought everything broadcast on this site was filtered and checked.
f you set your protections high enough, it will red flag nearly everything.

It's just a PDF. I scanned it with Symantec Anti-Virus and it comes up clean. I'm guessing your system is flagging any PDF? The HTML version from Google's cache is linked below...
Google cache

even when the fords were fords... from 65 to 85.. all engines were made in basildon england.. most trannys were made in antwerp.. ford believed in keep the boat full both ways.. so all three factories made parts for each other.. He wanted the boat full of parts or tractors or both.

I'll ask what no one else is, what are you using it for? If it is doing
loader work exclusively, forget the old 135. If you're raking,
running a posthole digger, etc the 135 will live forever and you
won't miss anything on the new tractor.

I"d weigh the difference in cost as whether to redo the MF or go new. You will have a good tractor with the MF. I wouldn"t worry too much about buying one of the major brands just because it isn"t 100% American made since you don"t have a choice if you go new. There are 1000"s sold yearly of the major brands. I personally own a NH that a mojor portion of it originated in Mexico and it has been problem free for several years.

How about the 2135 or 2165? From previous posts and a couple I've seen in wharehouses they address the light front end problem of the base series- heavy large square tube front axles, larger front wheels and extra hydraulic pumps to support heavy front loads on forklifts and grapple loaders. Minor industrial variation- but can still get a moldboard plow mounted to dig a shallow ditch by driveway and side of loading ramps. RN

If you restore a 135 you will have a decent tractor big enough to so most jobs and small enough to do most jobs.

I would stick with a diesel / 8 speed / power steering tractor.

I would not want a loader on one, but a loader on a 135 is better than no loader at all.

Not sure on your budget and what you plan to spend on restoration, but you can buy a decent shape 40-50 PTO HP 2wd tractor for 6-9k

Also look at MF 240, newer version of the 135. We have one and it's a great little tractor.

I would not waste any time or money on any of these CUT models (toys) from any brand unless you only want to have a belly mount mower and plow your driveway a few times a year.

Check out IH as well, 484/485/495 are decent models and have all the nice "modern" features but are still "old" technology and built to last.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back