New Rear Tires for 641 best tread pattern question

SStra

OK boys, I want to break down and put a new set of tires on my
641. Think I want 13.6x28s on a new 12 inch rim.

Question is want tread pattern do I want?

Firestone 23 degree or
Long - long or
Long - short

My 641 mostly is lazy and just sets around the barn. I do use it to
grade the lane, plow a little snow, and pull a light trailer.

I do take it to the F/FCA show and a few other shows.

Running pie weight but no fluid in tires.

So, looking for something that will look good on that year of
tractor, but does not have to be completely original for me.

Open to all suggestions. Thanks

I remember reading somewhere the 45 degree agbar tires offer the best traction.

My 4000 has one with the 45 degree pattern and the other has the new style Good Year tread pattern. When under a strain, the Good Year is always the first one to slip.

I have Firestone 11.2 x 28 Field & Road 23 degree bars on my working 6-loop rims, loaded with beet juice. I plow snow, grade drives, plow fields, disc, drag, and mow. they work great for all jobs. I do not think they make 45 degree bars anymore. The tire story from Ford is interesting. Henry and Harvey Firestone were good pals and camping buddies. The 9N tractor was introduced with 45 degree, closed bar centers. As the years went on, since Ford was always on top of development, the engineers were trying to design a tire tread that would work in all conditions. The 8N was first sold with Firestone Champion Guide Grip 10 x 28 rear tires. They had closed centers but were not 45 degree. They are sold as repops today for restorers, and even have the 10 x 28 marking on them. I have set on my hat rims for when I gussy her up for shows...

Tim 'PloughNman' Daley(MI)

I've had both Goodyear and Firestone tires on my tractor.
I think the Firestones grip a little better in dirt. The Goodyears are better for putting chains on though. You don't "lose" so much chain between the lugs with them.
By the way, Your 601 would have come from the factory with 11 X 28 tires (12.4X28 in modern size) Not 13.6 like you mentioned.
Doesn't make much difference really. But if you wanted them "correct"...

It"s tough to improve on the well proven 45 degree chevron design if you can find them.

Bridgestone/Firestone has taken so much rubber out of their tires in the past few years that the bars are quite narrow. This will result in rapid wear.

I have Armstrong/Titan long bar short bar tires on two of my Fords and find these to be a very good design so long as you do not spend much time on hard surfaces. The design wears well and provides excellent traction but will buzz you on pavement. They are considerably heavier and noticably wider than the same sized Firestones that I have on two other Fords.

The Armstrong/Titan design is still available but I no longer know who owns the molds and what brand name is being used.

I have 2007 and 2012 Massey Ferguson tractors with foreign made Good Year tires of different but similar design. The bars are considerably wider in the middle of the tire than elsewhere. This provides a smooth ride and long wear but the tires do not bite well and traction is conpromised. I consider these designs a bit of compromise between a conventional AG design and an industrial design.

Perhaps this is popular in international markets but my (weighted) Ford 860 with nearly 20 year old Titans, though a bit lighter than my weighted MF 533 (2007 version of the 135) with Good Years, will pull it into the next county.

Dean

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back